Will this bug be ever fixed?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ruby.object

Will this bug be ever fixed?

Post by ruby.object »

I Have tried new version of Cinnamon and the sticky keys bug has hit me with unexpected severity.
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73155

The bug was reported for the first time in 2007. It's 2014 now and I'm beginning to lose hope of having it ever fixed.
At the mement when modifier keys get stuck I have to press Shift 5 times to switch off sticky keys and then press Shift 5 times again to switch them on.

The bug apperars on every Linux Desktop Environment. It is very annoying when your keyboard now and then stops working due to a bug that has not been fixed in the last 7 years.

In previous version of Cinnamon the bug was not so severe. I have found a work around which would help me to restore sensible keyboard behaviour without having to pres the Shift key ten times. When modifier keys were stuck I could click on search field on Firefox and press 'a' and serach box would show 'A'. when I pressed 'a' again the next letter to appear would be 'a' and I could resume normal work. With new Cinnamon I have to press Shift 10 times. It's a step backwards.

Will this bug be ever fixed? It affects every distro and every desktop environment. Does software freedom make it possible not to work on fixing certain bugs?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jahid

Re: Will this bug be ever fixed?

Post by jahid »

The status of that bug report says : RESOLVED FIXED
ruby.object

Post by ruby.object »

It was fixed upstram in June. When do you think it will be fixed in Mint? Is there any distro, that I could try on spare partition, that claims to have it fixed? Can you understand why I ask if the bug will be ever fixed?
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

ruby.object wrote:It was fixed upstram in June. When do you think it will be fixed in Mint? Is there any distro, that I could try on spare partition, that claims to have it fixed? Can you understand why I ask if the bug will be ever fixed?
It's fixed in upstream xorg but the only way you will get that fix is if you grab debian testing. I'm afraid it's up to you to find the xorg package that contains the fix and manually upgrade it on testing. Best bet would be to use Debian Unstable and ensure you're grabbing the latest xorg.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

it's not part of security fix and the chances you got this bug fixed on mint is near zero.
It's fixed in upstream xorg but the only way you will get that fix is if you grab debian testing. I'm afraid it's up to you to find the xorg package that contains the fix and manually upgrade it on testing. Best bet would be to use Debian Unstable and ensure you're grabbing the latest xorg.

I'd suggest to not follow this advice :3

no hard feeling for the guy who propose it. it's just simply dangerous. first of all debian != ubuntu. on top of that the development gap between current mint and debian testing is wide. even current LMDE which based on debian testing isn't compatible with debian testing.
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

kurotsugi wrote:it's not part of security fix and the chances you got this bug fixed on mint is near zero.

I'd suggest to not follow this advice :3

no hard feeling for the guy who propose it. it's just simply dangerous. first of all debian != ubuntu. on top of that the development gap between current mint and debian testing is wide. even current LMDE which based on debian testing isn't compatible with debian testing.
Who says I was suggesting mint? I was suggesting he use ACTUAL Debian Testing/Unstable. IMO the people who want these bugs fixed are ones who will indeed upgrade dangerous packages like xorg to get it, so I assume they know what they are doing.

It's only dangerous if you don't know what you are doing and in that case, probably wouldn't bother with a bug that needs updated xorg packages.
ruby.object

Post by ruby.object »

Thank you for the suggesion. I will try Debian over the weekend.
ruby.object

Post by ruby.object »

ruby.object wrote:Thank you for the suggesion. I will try Debian over the weekend.
I've tried debian testing and the bug manifested itself pretty quickly. Then I switched to SID and so far everything is OK.
ruby.object

Post by ruby.object »

I've tried Debian SID. Sadly the bug is still there. :-(
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

ruby.object wrote:I've tried Debian SID. Sadly the bug is still there. :-(
Probably best to inform the xorg maintainers that the bug is still there. At this point it's up to the maintainers to ensure that these things are packaged.

Return to “Chat about Linux”