Non co-operative suppliers

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeMus

Non co-operative suppliers

Post by DeMus »

Hi,

Last week I received a NAS I ordered at a large electronic store. After unpacking I noticed a CD. I put the disc in the player just to find out that it only contains software for Windows. It holds drivers, but also a back-up program. Only for Windows users.
I contacted the helpdesk of the manufacturer by mail and received an answer a few days later: Sorry for the inconvenience but we don't support Linux.

Unbelievable!!! Millions of people world-wide use Linux but manufacturers don't see that fact as a way to increase their profit.

I got the NAS working without any problem, but that's not the point. The point I try to make here is that we are left in the dark because manufacturers blindly follow MS. And outside MS there is nothing. They think in just the way as MS does.

What can we do about this? Who has some ideas? I mean, when it is one or two companies we can neglect them, put them on a blacklist, but it is everywhere the same and we can't neglect all of them since we also need hardware, right?

Who has some ideas? Do we need to get organized and write manufacturers directly, or write pieces on the internet so they find out that way? If the last, where is the best way to start?

Please help because this stupid situation needs to end immediately.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Non co-operative suppliers

Post by xenopeek »

There are suppliers fully supporting Linux; more in more in fact. Vote with your wallet :wink:
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Where can I find a list of which suppliers do support Linux?

What did you mean with: vote with your wallet? I didn't get that.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

The point I try to make here is that we are left in the dark because manufacturers blindly follow MS. And outside MS there is nothing.
when you turn right onto Linux Drive you realize you are off the beaten path. all this means is you may have to do a little more of your own digging.

interestingly we (computer users, collectively) are drifting into a Sea Change on computing,-- things are getting CLOUDy . I think we will all see more control from the cloud and less from the system owners as the cloud owners will attempt to use Cloud Computing as a means of substituting Subscriptions in place of sales. A Better Business Model. a cash flow is much preferred to a simple sale which yields a 1-time net amount. another change in this of course is Big Data: market research. Information gathering is a 2-way street: while you are surfing and doing other computer related stuff you are also leaving quite a wake behind you and Big Data is out there with the Laughing Gulls -- slurping it all up.

many of us will eschew this Cloud and Subscription business but that will be an individual preference.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I don't have a website specifically for NAS, but there's websites like http://linuxpreloaded.com/.

I meant with "vote with your wallet"; support those who support Linux, by purchasing their products and not the products of their competitors (like you did) that don't support Linux. When researching what product to buy, you can already approach suppliers with a question about Linux support before deciding on which to purchase.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

xenopeek wrote:I don't have a website specifically for NAS, but there's websites like http://linuxpreloaded.com/.

I meant with "vote with your wallet"; support those who support Linux, by purchasing their products and not the products of their competitors (like you did) that don't support Linux. When researching what product to buy, you can already approach suppliers with a question about Linux support before deciding on which to purchase.
I just wished I had known about this website before I bought the NAS. Well okay, next time. Thanks Xenopeek, bedankt.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

In the many years you've been using Linux, it never occurred to you to research compatibility before purchases?
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

You didn't say which driver(s) you are missing. Take a look at

http://www.linux-drivers.org/ (graphics, audio, network, USB, printers, etc)

and see what drivers you can find. For missing one(s), do a search for "linux [driver name]". If still not successful, post the driver name here.

---

Also, a loonnngggg list of linux preloaded retailers is at my website (signature) -> retailers -> Linux pre-installed vendors (desktops, servers, laptops, tablets)

Sheng-Chieh
scryan

Post by scryan »

xenopeek wrote:There are suppliers fully supporting Linux; more in more in fact. Vote with your wallet :wink:
The only thing you CAN do.

You say
"Unbelievable!!! Millions of people world-wide use Linux but manufacturers don't see that fact as a way to increase their profit."
This may or may not be true...
Firstly, Will it increase their profit? Sure it will likely increase sales, but enough to offset cost? Its a business and if this were true, we really would see more support for Linux.Corporations are not known for leaving money on the table.

Its interesting that you make this statement, in this thread.... because the fact that their not supporting linux does not seem to be slowing down sales. I have no figures to support this, other then my admittedly small sample size: you.
You as a customer are a linux user. You put emphasis on open platforms and find companies that don't support linux to be "unbelievable!!!".
They didn't loose your sale.... So what sales are they loosing?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

xenopeek wrote:There are suppliers fully supporting Linux - more in more in fact - Vote with your wallet :wink:
it's a worldwide issue - take your your wallet / vote with your feet.

ie: walk to another store with your wallet & spend your money - in that store.
:( :shock:

it all reminds me of a story told many years ago:
this guy wanted to purchase a good quality HiFi system, so he went into a HiFi store & browsed around.
when approached by a salesman, the guy explained what type of HiFi that was wanted.
- the salesman said "nope we can't help you", so the guy went into another HiFi store - where he purchased what he wanted.
after loading all the boxes into his car, the guy went back to the original store & asked to see the store manager.
upon which - the guy showed the manager the receipt for the new HiFi system.

I wanted to purchase this in your store - he said to the manager - but that salesman of yours - wasn't interested.
so you lost this sale.
this guy showed me that HiFi sound system - it was a very nice system & obviously very expensive too.
:o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Chat about Linux”