why we do this

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

why we do this

Post by mike acker »

just received from a busy daughter

she's running windows/7, working, taking classes, raising kids, and maintaining a home. she does not have time for this [].
My computer keeps "glitching" it is booting my out of programs and I have to either restart or do control alt delete to make the programs come back up. I have no clue what to do. Did I leave the external hard drive at your house? I feel that I should back the computer up before it totally crashes...any thoughts?
I'll try to put her 'puter back in order for her. a couple hours under malwarebytes might fix this. let's hope.

what she needs is the latest MINT -- but -- the people she deals with force her to use msft/office :(
i wish we could knock out the last issues between LibreOffice and msft/office. that would do it for her.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
ktheking

Re: why we do this

Post by ktheking »

Yep , a very recognizable situation. I've came across some of customers with the same situation.
Although there is a solution to overcome the Office dilemma. The online version of office 365.
Also give kingsoft office a try. They handle office documents very well.
Worst case , virtual windows within your mint with automated snapshots.

Meaning : you actually can have linux mint as your main OS ,regardless your requirements.

remark : there is 1 exception : ! gaming ! If you have gamin requirements ,this is problematic as it can't be solved with virtualisation. For 3D rendering software it's not that of an issue as most offer linux rendering clients , or make use of online rendering clients.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

ktheking wrote:{snip}
online version of office 365.
Also give kingsoft office a try.{snip}
I have LibreOffice 4.2.5.2 right now and have found the .docx and .xlsx files are usually accepted by msft programming (which used to rejected them as "corrupted files")

i her case though I have to provide a working solution; she does not have time to fuss around.

what should be done: online universities -- in this case Baker College -- should accept .pdf formatted papers instead of demanding .docx .
that would end the problem in the right way .
¡Viva la Resistencia!
jahid

Post by jahid »

One of my friends really want to shift to linux because of malware attacks in windows but he can't. He uses photoshop mainly, and I couldn't offer him a good alternative for linux...
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

jahid wrote:One of my friends really want to shift to linux because of malware attacks in windows but he can't. He uses photoshop mainly, and I couldn't offer him a good alternative for linux...
in his case dual boot could work. When I installed MINT17 standard on a laptop for Greg the installer (loaded from the thumb drive) stated: this computer has windows 7: do you want to set this up as dual boot ? we answered yes and it worked.

when I wiped out a Windows 8.1 system on a Dell laptop for my brother(John)-- I had to set the BIOS to standard boot as opposed to UEFI -- to get the thumb-stick to boot up so I could run the installer. my other brother(Jim) wanted to adjust the BIOS on his new HP laptop to ignore the external USB hard-drive he likes to tote around but we could not get the BIOS change to set permanently. yuk.

IMHO Norton/360 is the best option right now for the protection care and maintenance of a Windows PC. This product also provides the tune-up service that Windows Can't Run Without: delete windows tempfiles, delete internet temp files, compact and correct the registry, and disk defrag. Once a week.

I went shopping today for a lap top for my daughter. all they had was Windows 8.1 . Some very nice lap-tops -- I liked the Toshiba 17" one -- but it is clear: Windows 8+ really attempts to push the customer around: you'll use the programs I put on the metro and be * if you don't like it. She'll also need $200 worth of MSFT/Office software

I'm so glad to be a Linux user now :D
¡Viva la Resistencia!
deleted

Post by deleted »

My kids run mint with KDE.
They don't have sudo (but they could).
No goofed installs, no malware, no viruses, no problem.
-Hinto
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

hinto wrote:My kids run mint with KDE.
They don't have sudo (but they could).
No goofed installs, no malware, no viruses, no problem.
-Hinto
:D

We all owe Mr. Torvalds a huge debt of gratitude. I think, in the coming couple of years, we are going to see commercial systems increasingly locked down as the effort to force the use of controlled software will intensify. Hopefully places like NewEgg and Open Source will flourish so that those of us who like to put stuff together can continue to have fun
¡Viva la Resistencia!
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

[quote="mike acker"
what she needs is the latest MINT -- but -- the people she deals with force her to use msft/office :(
i wish we could knock out the last issues between LibreOffice and msft/office. that would do it for her.[/quote]

Does she has a second computer? If so, put linux on it and only use the window computer for work-related stuffs - use linux for surfing, etc.
In other words, use window computer as little as possible.

Sheng-Chieh
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

ktheking wrote:Yep , a very recognizable situation. I've came across some of customers with the same situation.
Although there is a solution to overcome the Office dilemma. The online version of office 365.
Also give kingsoft office a try. They handle office documents very well.
Worst case , virtual windows within your mint with automated snapshots.

Meaning : you actually can have linux mint as your main OS ,regardless your requirements.

remark : there is 1 exception : ! gaming ! If you have gamin requirements ,this is problematic as it can't be solved with virtualisation. For 3D rendering software it's not that of an issue as most offer linux rendering clients , or make use of online rendering clients.
Outlook.com email has Word, Excel etc webapps for free. I have an outlook address for this reason (and because I hate gmail) :D
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

thanks for the tips guys. it helps!

she's coming over Monday Night with the sick 'puter. I'll dose it with malware bites; that might clean it up. Malware bites is an amazing RX.

she has the latest Norton/360 on it and that should have kept her out of trouble...... trouble is though she lets her son play with it at times... I'll post an update here after I get done with this one.

I have found that .docx files from the latest LibreOffice/Writer seem to be accepted by MSFT/Office/Word and if this turns out to be the case she may be able to switch to MINT now. I'd put her on the MINT17 LTS release that we have now. Converting the computer to MINT and setting her up with Office/365 might be a workable solution. She could drop the 365 subscription as soon as her classes are over.

for my own use I've substituted LibreOffice for MSFT/Office completely. But, generally speaking, if I have to transmit a document I use PDF format. Except when places like insurance companies don't even to that, then I have to send a FAX. Yea.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

Try the kingsoft office. Www.wps.com.

Looks great, works even better than Libre office. Imho

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

it might not a best solution but we can also use windows in VB.
deleted

Post by deleted »

mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

pretty much as expected: malwarebytes cleaned 337 infections off my daughter's laptop.

i ran the Norton/360 cleanup tasks: clean out temp files, clean up internet files, correct and compress the registry, and defrag the disk and her 'puter is running pretty good now.

I did install adblock and noflash on both Firefox and Chrome.

noflash is critically important as flash is just about the preferred vector for drive by hackers

one of the things we consistently overlook while evaluating the Cost of Insecure Software -- is the time and effort that goes into cleaning up infected PCs -- as well as the intangible cost of checking and worry.

I had to do these same things for my older brother's computer a couple weeks ago when he came down for a visit.

makes me want to rent an office and hang out my shingle for
Linux & PGP
Setup and Assistance
even though I'm a long way from being a GuRu
¡Viva la Resistencia!
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

hinto wrote:No goofed installs, no malware, no viruses, no problem.
Sorry, but that's wrong. Linux is a vulnerable target to malware and trojans "in the wild".
PEBKAC is not related to the operating system the problem uses.

Linux won't help making a user understand what will happen when he doesn't care.
deleted

Post by deleted »

There's a reason they don't run Wall Street on Windows machines.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/238068/h ... treet.html
-H
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

thanks to the operating-system kernel's ability to pass messages very quickly
So it's about speed, not security?

Why not both?
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

using linux doesn't guarantee you're safe. think about malware which attack using internet browser, java, or flash. you might safe from malware which specifically designed to attack windows but most of recent malware is designed to be OS dependent free. linux also have it's own vulnerability and malware specifically designed for linux did exist. and...don't forget abut NSA. they suspected anyone using linux and tor is a terorist. by using linux it means that you're more vulnerable from NSA attack.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

kurotsugi wrote:using linux doesn't guarantee you're safe. think about malware which attack using internet browser, java, or flash. you might safe from malware which specifically designed to attack windows but most of recent malware is designed to be OS dependent free. linux also have it's own vulnerability and malware specifically designed for linux did exist. and...don't forget abut NSA. they suspected anyone using linux and tor is a terorist. by using linux it means that you're more vulnerable from NSA attack.
an application program should not be able to infect its host o/s. this was established with System/360 back in 1964 and then reinforced by the addition of RACF in 1974.

I have been trying to find out more about these so-called drive by attacks. if you think back on comments from Charlie Miller at CanSecWest when Chrome introduced its "sandbox" saying like "I might have this bug and I might be able to get code execution but then getting out of the sandbox is another problem"

I think the core of the problem - so to speak - is this "code execution" thing. Which is why we have address space layout randomization (ASLR) and data execution prevention (DEP) .... in the most popular os. these things shouldn't be necessary where memory protection is properly implemented: code (text, in Linux) should run only on EXEC only pages. The code has to be re-entrant ( // PARM.LKED=(RENT... ) to do it --- i.e. the code page does not contain any data that it modifies -- thus it can be on a EXEC only page . and, conversely data should not be stored on pages marked for EXEC privilege -- should be READ/WRITE only .

I think LINUX does a better job of implementing this memory protection than the popular os does. if you think about it-- if you have a privileged program running in user-space with the application then ( this is a critical requirement ) that system code ( or any system code ) must be protected from deliberate or accidental damage.

the capability is there someplace in my notes i remember reading that it is used -- in Linux.

security has to protect the entire perimeter though and there are other areas that remain concerns. If an approved software package is allowed to install a DRIVER into the KERNEL ( Flash, perhaps ? ) -- that is a HUGE security concern: feeding bad data into such a driver could cause trouble -- if that data is not properly sanitized. If the data stream is complex ( Flash perhaps ) then sanitizing it could be troublesome...

this is a lot of conjecture here on my part; perhaps some of our kernel experts know more about this than I and might comment

Careless errors -- such as the recent BASH bug -- leaving a privileged logon exposed on the open net are human mistakes and not attributed to the software. HEARTBLEED was similar although a programmer's error -- failed to validate critical parameters in an input record. You never trust input records from remote sources.

Downloading/installing unknown software, again, is a human error,-- but one which happens all too often.

Today we see concern over FIRMWARE bugs: in particular the USB Device Firmware problem but also issues of equipment being improperly modified someplace in the distribution channel -- a la NSA.

so there's a lot of crap going on out there. the best we can do is keep communicating so that we get the word out on the things that do happen.

my daughter is delighted: her computer is running normally and she can get her lessons updated and posted.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

mike acker wrote:I think the core of the problem - so to speak - is this "code execution" thing. Which is why we have address space layout randomization (ASLR) and data execution prevention (DEP) .... in the most popular os.
With OpenBSD (ref.) and Windows "NT" (8.1 currently) having most of them built-in - and Linux has most of those which it has built-in disabled by default. Sadly.
mike acker wrote:I think LINUX does a better job of implementing this memory protection than the popular os does.
Linux has less mitigation technologies than Windows 7 and higher.

Return to “Chat about Linux”