MintOSX

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JonnyTech

MintOSX

Post by JonnyTech »

I discovered this by chance:

Mint OS X - "Linux Like Mac OS X" - http://mintosx.blogspot.co.uk/

Based on Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon Edition, but attempts to imitate the look of Mac OS X.
It's a little rough around the edges, but works well especially after an intial update.
Looks more like OSX than any other distro - especially the failed PearOS.
The installer needs a bit of work, ie defined user account is not created after install.
I have installed it for a few people and they seem to have fallen in love with it.
How easy would it be to take the theme and customisations and port them to Mint proper?

Anyone else tried it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: MintOSX

Post by kyphi »

Easy, put the panel to the top, install docky from synaptic and you too can have a similar looking desktop if that is what you want.

That is one of the attractions in all Linuxes that you can change the appearance and even some functions to whatever appeals to you. Since we all have different likes and dislikes, Linuxes cater for all comers.

You can even have a different desktop for every day of the week.

Personally, I like a clean desktop devoid of clutter but I respect your right to have it your way.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

It doesn't have the menu at the top, so the mimikry is not well-thought.

You might want to take a look at Étoilé desktop though.
JonnyTech

Post by JonnyTech »

@kyphi - I agree with your comments, but is nice to have a prebuilt installable image for us lazy folk, especially for when one comes from an OS X background and asks for a similar Linux environment...
JonnyTech

Post by JonnyTech »

@/dev/urandom (nice username) - Étoilé does indeed look promising, but it does seem a great big pain to compile and install. Do you know of any prebuilt packages, or a ppa to install from?
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

No, sorry - but probably that's because it's still not a "final" version and targets developers yet.

Return to “Chat about Linux”