If OSs were characters from "The Young Ones"...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

If OSs were characters from "The Young Ones"...

Post by Ranthe »

So I've been happily running Mint 17 as my primary OS for well over a month now, but as I still have Windows Vista as my now (secondary) dual-boot OS I feel obligated to log into it every so often so it can get updates. And it's amazing how quickly I've got used to the Linux way of doing thngs, because going back to how Windows does updates just feels so awful.

In fact, Windows reminds me of the character Rick (the anarchist, played by the late Rik Mayall) from the UK TV comedy series "The Young Ones" -

Me: <doing stuff like browsing>
WinRick: OKAY EVERYONE, IT'S TIME TO INSTALL UPDATES! SYSTEM RESTART IS IN TEN MINUTES!
Me: What are the updates?
WinRick: Ah, I'm not going to tell you. They're updates, okay? They're important updates because I say so. And you'd better get a move on and finish what you're doing, because I'll be restarting in seven minutes!
Me: Er, do I have any choice in this?
WinRick: Well you could restart earlier if you wanted.
Me: What if I don't want to restart?
WinRick: Well that's just tough - DON'T TRY AND CLOSE THAT WINDOW, IT WON'T WORK! It's how I do updates, okay? What if nobody did updates? WHY DON'T YOU LIKE ME?

In contrast, Mint behaves a lot like Neil (the hippie, played by Nigel Planer) -
MintNeil: Uh, guys, ummm... I've got some updates for you.
Me: What are the updates?
MintNeil: Wel, umm... there a couple of software updates, and uh... there a patch for that Bash bug, and uh... there a bunch of other bits but they're not like really impartant so I guess you don't have to select them if you don't want to.
Me: Okay, give me the updates.
MintNeil: Um, I don't want to be a total drag, but I'll need you to confirm who you are.
Me: It's me. Can I have the updates now?
MintNeil: Okay man, I'll just... go and get the updates.
MintNeil: Ah, I've done the updates man. I'll just go and sit over here in case you need me again for anything...

Which of course got me thinking about the rest of the housemates. Mike (Thecoolperson, played by Christopher Ryan) strikes me as being like MacOS - flashy and always claiming to be the leader of the house while getting Neil to do most of the work -

MacMike: Caption, please.
CAPTION: MIKE GETS TO WORK.
MacMike: Thank you.

That of course leaves Vyvyan the punk, played by Adrian Edmondson. Maybe Vivian is the original Unix OS, given that Vyvyan is typically Mike's right-hand-man, substantialy more violent that everyone else (including Neil) and absolutely loathes Rick -

UnixVyvyan: HEY EVERYBODY! I've got this great new trick! Watch me stick these characters into a Bash script! It's really cool! It's basically a cure for "not being a security hole"!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: If OSs were characters from "The Young Ones"...

Post by xenopeek »

Brilliantly done :lol: Takes me back man... So much of my growing up was enjoying British comedy with family... RIP Rik Mayall, thanks for all the laughs :cry:
Firry

Post by Firry »

Love it! Thanks.
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Not trying to hijack this thread, but since its a related post, I will share...

If OS'es were characters from star wars films.

Windows would be JarJarBinks: Stupid, ugly, and slow.
MacOSX would be Darth Vader (in a bad way): Evil, expensive, and hated by most.
Linux would be Yoda: Wise, fast, and powerful.

:mrgreen:

Return to “Chat about Linux”