Ubuntu: a Failure of its own success?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Miekuxi

Ubuntu: a Failure of its own success?

Post by Miekuxi »

While Ubuntu keeps getting the most users, the developers may lag behind in development.
:(
I tried the latest Xubuntu, Ubuntu, and Lubuntu; they all crash quite a bit.
I guess Linux Mint is quite a bit of improvement over Ubuntu at the moment.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Ubuntu: a Failure of its own success?

Post by MartyMint »

Sure. Why not.

:|
bromanbro

Post by bromanbro »

Last time I installed Ubuntu (couple years ago, probably Ubuntu ~11), it was a newly released version, and the Cinnamon desktop app on the software store wasen't compatible with it.

So when I installed it, I rebooted into a blank desktop and had to google terminal commands to bring back the default :(

Tho I doubt Ubuntu itself is unstable. At least I'd be surprised if it was. I think another time I broke Ubuntu by messing with GPU drivers.

me and ubuntu have a rocky relationship :)

Tho seriously, Ubuntu's default UI sucks for desktop users.
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

We have Ubuntu 14.04 with Unity on our laptop, and it is fantastic. Only downside is on first boot it's a little slow when opening the Dash menu, but after that's it's fine.

We have Mint 17 Cinnamon on the desktop, and it is fantastic. Not a single issue since install at launch. Not one. Nada. It is perfection.

Don't mean to sit on the fence, but I love both. Cinnamon is my preference overall, but both are amazing.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have 2 Ubuntu 14.04 x64 installs, they both work perfectly. I would not consider Ubuntu failing these days at all.
scryan

Post by scryan »

Honestly...
Mint was always a bit unstable for me(not unusable, just always little\occational things). It would seem different distros do different hardware better.

I would say the failure of its success is similar to Windows.
The more popular you are, the more users you get, the more users you get the more users you have who expect things to "just work", be pretty, ect...
More complexity basically WILL mean more problems, more chances for things to break. The more things "just work" the more everything must be automated... Again adding more chances for error as well as having to guess what the users wants and when it would be appropriate to do it.

They make things "better" until things are heavy, and you have to fight them to do anything different/unexpected.

Return to “Chat about Linux”