Gnome 3.14 released (will be in LMDE 2)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Gnome 3.14 released (will be in LMDE 2)

Post by xenopeek »

LMDE users will have an edge over Linux Mint 17 users in November, when LMDE 2 will be released with Debian 8 as a package base. Debian 8 will ship with the just released Gnome 3.14, making using the latest Gnome release a viable option for LMDE 2 users (LMDE 2 still has Cinnamon and MATE as defaults).

Read the announcement, which includes a video with a summary overview of changes. Release notes for users part 1 and part 2, and for developers. The article over on WebUpd8 is a good read also, and includes a bit more hands on video demo. As you can see in the third screenshot here, classic two panel mode is also looking sharp.

A whopping 871 developers contributed to this Gnome release! I've been playing around with test ISO they made available, and to me it looks like a further perfecting of the direction set in from the 3.10 release. I've been using Gnome Shell for 6 months now, since just before the Gnome 3.12 release. I'm eagerly awaiting availability of the release :)

I know many Linux Mint users care more for Cinnamon and MATE, but for those of you that are on Gnome—enjoy the news :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepclutch
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Gnome 3.14 released (will be in LMDE 2)

Post by deepclutch »

I use Gnome3.x with another distro on a failing hdd. I am looking for a Debian based distro which is synced directly with Debian stream(not Ubuntu), probably testing and sid, but comparatively up to date in softwares. I've a 180GB SSD and planning to install with GPT and EFI. I don't want Cinnamon; but Gnome3. and mostly up-to-date.
will LMDE stable enough to be installed(for long term use, I don't format and reinstall every week/months, but years). Can I use Debian repos and gets a recent Gnome shell version. please help me to decide. I've tried Ubuntu Gnome on a Samsung RV-509 and it isn't nearly a pleasant experience(wr.to hardware..random freezing issue).

With Ubuntu or mint, everything is auto configured including font anti-aliasing and other necessary fixes as well as 3rd party plugins et al. how is LMDE? is there patched packages to fix these issues?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

LMDE 2 might be a fit for you. It's expected around November this year, will be based on Debian 8 (stable) and will be fully compatible with Debian repos. You'll be able to use it for years, and so far I've understood that the whole "update pack" method of getting updates from upstream Debian will be retired with LMDE 2 and you'll get updates directly (and immediately) from upstream Debian.

Debian 8 will ship with GNOME 3.14, thus it should be possible to install that on top of LMDE 2. It might be easiest to use the MATE release as a base, as the MATE packages are more easily identified and removed after installing GNOME (I'd be happy to help narrow down on that if needed). That said, expect to be on GNOME 3.14 for a long time—I don't think Debian stable repos will get a major new release of GNOME (e.g., 3.16) till a next Debian release. You can probably get that done by mixing in testing repos, but I haven't done much with that so can't advice on that.

As for configuration and plugins; LMDE ships with more plugins than Debian (prominently Adobe Flash) and installs more plugins by default from the non-free repos to make things work "out-of-the-box". While Cinnamon and MATE releases of LMDE both get customized and polished by the Linux Mint developers, installing GNOME will of course be stock Debian without Linux Mint polish. But, for things like font anti-aliasing and such what customization and polishing has been done on LMDE should carry over to you installing GNOME on top of it. BTW, GNOME on its own has already very sharp font rendering; I do like the Ubuntu customizations as they are slightly smoother and so added them on my install (Arch Linux).

I don't use LMDE day to day, so perhaps for some of these questions you should either try the current version out from the LiveCD to see for yourself or hop over to the LMDE section of the forum and get some feedback there.

If you can wait, perhaps waiting for LMDE 2 will make sense given we're already in October—but installing LMDE 1 (the current release) you will be able to upgrade to LMDE 2 without reinstalling is the intention.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Just installed Debian 8 beta 2 on a spare drive and a lot of Gnome 3.14.0 has arrivced! Seems pretty solid for all the longer I have been trying it. :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You're ahead of me for once exploder :) Still stuck on 3.12 on my main install; just waiting for it to arrive in Arch stable repos. I didn't feel like going for the testing repos this time around.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

xenopeek, I was surprised that Gnome 3.14.0 was still in testing in Arch. I was even more surprised to see it was already in Jesse! Debian 8 is really nice for being at beta 2! I was greeted with a bunch of updates this morning, the Debian developers are hard at work on the new release. :D Cinnamon was offered as a desktop environment in the new installer too!

Edit: Some screen shots of Debian 8 with Gnome 3.14.0.

http://www.linuxscreenshots.org/?releas ... 20Beta%202
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

some 3.14 modules are already in jessie but not all (not the most relevant ones anyway)

Code: Select all

zerozero@home ~ $ acp gnome-shell nautilus gnome-control-center
gnome-shell:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3.12.2-3
  Version table:
     3.12.2-3 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
nautilus:
  Candidate: 3.12.2-1
  Version table:
     3.12.2-1 0
gnome-control-center:
  Candidate: 1:3.12.1-5
  Version table:
     1:3.12.1-5 0
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Why can't we have MGSE on top of gnome 3.14 instead :wink:

GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Gnome-Shell 3.14 on Sparky Linux (SID)

Runs nicely. Very modern looking.

"Desktop"

"Overview"

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Wow Gene, that looks great! :)

Edit: I am totally amazed at how multimedia is working in Jesse! I have installed no codecs at all, mp4's and YouTube videos are working great! I know Iceweasel is using html5 for YouTube but I never expected an mp4 to play! This is extremely cool! :D
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Hi exploder... :)
Yep. Its looking pretty slick and no issues. Now if Gnome will just slow down a little for a while... :? :lol:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

A bunch more 3.14.0 packages came in this morning! Nautilus sure is a lot faster now! :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

yes, today gnome-shell 3.14 arrived on Jessie

Code: Select all

zerozero@home ~ $ acp gnome-shell nautilus gnome-control-center
gnome-shell:
  Candidate: 3.14.0-1
  Version table:
     3.14.0-1 0
nautilus:
  Candidate: 3.14.0-1
  Version table:
     3.14.0-1 0
gnome-control-center:
  Candidate: 1:3.14.0-1
  Version table:
     1:3.14.0-1 0
zerozero@home ~ $ 
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

How do you like the new animations? I thought they looked pretty slick. :D

Edit: Only 410 critical bugs to fix before release!
deepclutch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deepclutch »

xenopeek wrote:LMDE 2 might be a fit for you. It's expected around November this year, will be based on Debian 8 (stable) and will be fully compatible with Debian repos. You'll be able to use it for years, and so far I've understood that the whole "update pack" method of getting updates from upstream Debian will be retired with LMDE 2 and you'll get updates directly (and immediately) from upstream Debian.

Debian 8 will ship with GNOME 3.14, thus it should be possible to install that on top of LMDE 2. It might be easiest to use the MATE release as a base, as the MATE packages are more easily identified and removed after installing GNOME (I'd be happy to help narrow down on that if needed). That said, expect to be on GNOME 3.14 for a long time—I don't think Debian stable repos will get a major new release of GNOME (e.g., 3.16) till a next Debian release. You can probably get that done by mixing in testing repos, but I haven't done much with that so can't advice on that.

As for configuration and plugins; LMDE ships with more plugins than Debian (prominently Adobe Flash) and installs more plugins by default from the non-free repos to make things work "out-of-the-box". While Cinnamon and MATE releases of LMDE both get customized and polished by the Linux Mint developers, installing GNOME will of course be stock Debian without Linux Mint polish. But, for things like font anti-aliasing and such what customization and polishing has been done on LMDE should carry over to you installing GNOME on top of it. BTW, GNOME on its own has already very sharp font rendering; I do like the Ubuntu customizations as they are slightly smoother and so added them on my install (Arch Linux).

I don't use LMDE day to day, so perhaps for some of these questions you should either try the current version out from the LiveCD to see for yourself or hop over to the LMDE section of the forum and get some feedback there.

If you can wait, perhaps waiting for LMDE 2 will make sense given we're already in October—but installing LMDE 1 (the current release) you will be able to upgrade to LMDE 2 without reinstalling is the intention.
thanks @xenopeek for the reply. see, I've used Debian stable or testing(apt-pinned) for years and from what I know, Debian used to have rough edges when it comes to Desktop users.
I have some queries though:
  • How does LMDE 2 push updates? is it directly from Debian stable repo? if so, that means daily updates(I remember testing) which is not what many of our Desktop users are looking for. will LMDE community make sure only relevant updates are available? bug fixes or security updates(if possible), not revision packages so often. I know how much Debian testing or sid will download if I run apt-get update.
  • Although I have problems with Ubuntu, they go extra mile when it comes to hardware support and refineness in their default(unity based) release. Will LMDE bring back good stuff from Ubuntu into LMDE..like Debian IIRC having a group like "Utnubu" who rebuilds packages which are found in Ubuntu, not in Debian..Utnubu project seems lacking activity now.
  • PPA's for LMDE - is personal repositories exists or supported? FWIW, some ppa's like this are a great help. I'm sure default installations lack tweaks like this.
  • Lastly, will LMDE become default release retiring Ubuntu based Linuxmint version as it is currently.
I'm waiting for LMDE2 to release :) . BTW, I hope to try Cinnamon again. it'll be just enough for me. I liked Gnome2.x and Gnome3.x also is fitting my taste.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

LMDE 2 is based on Debian stable. Key difference with LMDE 1 (current), which is based on Debian testing. Yes you can have daily updates from Debian stable, but those will be fixes for security issues and critical bugs--and those will have been tested to meet the requirements of the stable release. Unlike Debian testing, where you can have daily updates but those can be anything--fixes but also new version releases with new features. All in all I think you can expect updates to be more or less at the same pace as Ubuntu LTS based releases (Mint 13 & 17).

Updates from Debian stable will come directly from Debian repositories; updates from Linux Mint (Cinnamon, MATE, Mint tools, Firefox, and other added packages) will come from the LMDE 2 repository.

Not familiar with Utnubu, but I think you can expect a great level of refinement from LMDE on top of refinements in Debian. WOn't know till we see it :)

As for PPAs; at first these are for Ubuntu based distros. I seem to recall some article about bringing compatibly with PPAs to Debian? Don't know for sure. In any case, somebody more into Debian will have to answer. I know there are unofficial repositories for Debian to add software, but indeed not neary as much as there are PPAs (PPAs being so much simpler to set up).
deepclutch wrote:Lastly, will LMDE become default release retiring Ubuntu based Linuxmint version as it is currently.
No. LMDE 2 is more about bringing LMDE in line with the Ubuntu based Linux Mint releases (based on LTS only; no longer using as base testing/development releases of Debian/Ubuntu; giving users a more predictable and lower maintenance OS; allowing the development team to spend more time on refining and developing Cinnamon, MATE, Mint tools, and so on).
mr_talicni_tom

Post by mr_talicni_tom »

Why Mint do not support official gnome shell? And can some1 tell me from which environment to install it and how?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can install Gnome Shell on Linux Mint; it's available from the official repositories. Just like you can install countless other desktop environments or window managers from the official repositories, for which (which I assume was what you meant) there isn't a Linux Mint ISO available.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

exploder wrote:How do you like the new animations? I thought they looked pretty slick. :D
3.14 hit the stable repo of Arch Linux today, so I've been exploring around a bit on my main install :) The new animations are very smooth and nice. To me also stood out sharply the level of refinement Gedit and Videos (Totem) got on their interfaces--pleasure to use! And Music is much faster with loading album art now, doing away with the "load more" button when scrolling down. As I continue using it more things will probably pop up but so far I like what I see and it's another step in the right direction for me :wink:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

@ Xenopeek

Just saw your reply today. I am really liking Gnome Shell 3.14 a lot! I installed the simple dock and a couple other extensions and this is by far my favorite desktop environment. Gnome 3 has come a long way since it was first introduced!

The default theme looks great with the refinements it has received, the new animations are a nice touch too! It's been about a month since I installed Debian Jesse and I am still very happy with it! The Debian Developer's sure are picky, I like that. :) For being under development Jesse has done well for daily use. :D

The Mint Debian Edition should be awesome when it arrives! Cinnamon and Mate are currently among the choices of desktop environments in Jesse, so they should be very well supported. I have Mint Mate and Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 installed on other hard drives but Debian has been getting the most use. I am fascinated by the amount of refinement done with it's packages, these guys are very picky to say the least!

I am getting a glimpse of why Debian has such a good reputation and they really have earned it by what I am seeing. :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”