How to restore notification applets

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chlab

How to restore notification applets

Post by chlab »

Hi there

I'm running Cinnamon on Fedora 20. At some point I wanted to rearrage the applets and I accidentally removed the FireTray applet for Thunderbird. I googled around a bit and it seems most people were able to restore it by adding the notifications applet, so that's what I did. The notification applet is now showing, but I can't restore the FireTray applet. Also, I recently installed DropBox which would create a similar applet, but it's also not showing up in the tray. This leads me to assume that I somehow removed the area in which "third party" apps may put their applets?

Any help on restoring this?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to restore notification applets

Post by mdavies5 »

Hi chlab,
I use Mint with Cinnamon not Fedora so my answer may not be relevant. If you right-click the menu item for Thunderbird do you get option to "Add to Panel"; this is how menu options are added in MInt. Also if you want to add an applet can you right click the panel and select "Add Applets to the Panel". In Mint some menu items also disappear at random so I use the applet "Launchers Draggable Switch" which locks and unlocks the items so they do not accidentally disappear.
Cheers, Mike
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to restore notification applets

Post by all41 »

Firetray is a Mozilla Add-On
If you added Firetray with Thunderbird go to the Thunderbird/Add-ons/Extensions then select Firetray/Preferences and enable your tray icon there.
If you added Firetray with Firefox do the same but in the FF menu to re-enable
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Chat about Linux”