Should I switch to Linux Mint as an alternative to ubuntu?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jatin Kaushal

Should I switch to Linux Mint as an alternative to ubuntu?

Post by Jatin Kaushal »

Okey. I have been testing Linux Mint 17 via live USB because I am not happy that Ubuntu is not Open Source in the true sense anymore but since Mint is based on Ubuntu, can I stll call it Open Source? Since their base is not open source anymore. I only want an Open Source OS. I googled it and found about Linux Mint but I am not sure if I want it. Thank you.

'''
I stll think it is open source but not sure
'''
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Should I switch to Linux Mint as an alternative to ubunt

Post by xenopeek »

Depends on what you mean with "Ubuntu is not Open Source in the true sense anymore". Linux Mint 17 uses Ubuntu 14.04 as a package base and adds to it. Linux Mint 17 is a pragmatic operating system; open source software is preferred but if no open source software would meet expectations of users, Linux Mint does include proprietary software. Like choosing between one of your devices not working because of poor open source drivers, or using the proprietary driver and it working as expected. Or things like including Skype for easy installation. That said, all software developed by the Linux Mint project is licensed under the GPL.

If you instead meant to say "Ubuntu isn't free software as per the FSF definition", pick one of these: http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
Jatin Kaushal

Post by Jatin Kaushal »

I understand that but I havent seen a paid application in Linux Mint. I really love it but the fact that it is based on ubuntu 14.04 which has, In my case, a lot of paid software now puts me off. I know that it has ubuntu softwares but I dont need that if I use Mint 17. Also, IT DOES NOT INCLUDE AMAZON SEARCH RESULTS! :D :D :D I almost fell in love with it but then I found out that it is based on Ubuntu 14.04!! :( :|
What should I do? Is Mint still open source in the true sense?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You have to define "open source in the true sense".
I think xenopeek explained it very well.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Jatin Kaushal wrote:I understand that but I havent seen a paid application in Linux Mint. I really love it but the fact that it is based on ubuntu 14.04 which has, In my case, a lot of paid software now puts me off. I know that it has ubuntu softwares but I dont need that if I use Mint 17. Also, IT DOES NOT INCLUDE AMAZON SEARCH RESULTS! :D :D :D I almost fell in love with it but then I found out that it is based on Ubuntu 14.04!! :( :|
What should I do? Is Mint still open source in the true sense?
What do you mean by open source in the true sense?
xenopeek gave you a link to totally free software distributions. That do not use any proprietary software. But be warned some of them will not include drivers you might need for your hardware.

You do not have to worry in Mint about Amazon searches - That is only a feature of Unity desktop and does not carry over into mint in any way.

good luck in your search for a system that works for you.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Jatin Kaushal

Post by Jatin Kaushal »

Open source to me is that computing should be for everyone. Equal oppertunity. NON COMMERTIAL, NOT ABOUT MAKEING PROFITS. The video of Ubuntu Edge is also a big disappointmen to me. I find paid software everyware in Ubuntu. I can no longer feel the 'sence of Ubuntu in Ubuntu' and I fear if this goes on, we would be purchaseing CDs of Ubuntu in the next 10 or 20 years! :( (Bummer). I Know that this is not a good definition of 'Open source in the true sense' but I am not that good at explaining things but you guys are soo awesome, I actually like forums.linuxmint.com better than askubuntu and ubuntu fourms! I feel accepted here :D :P Thank you guys

:* <3
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Jatin Kaushal wrote:NON COMMERTIAL, NOT ABOUT MAKEING PROFITS.

What do you have against software developers trying to earn a living?
Jatin Kaushal

Post by Jatin Kaushal »

I dont. You are right. I just thing that this could be the start of something. If they really have to post adds, do it on your site, not in our OS. And I also think that the amazon search should be off by default. (Please prove my wrong Mark!)
Jatin Kaushal

Post by Jatin Kaushal »

To finish off this thread, I have found my choice of linux distro. Manjaro! It is great. It's based off of Arch, It is fast and It is not Commercialized ! I Recommend it to a lot of people!
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

That's fantastic news.

Bye.
deepclutch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deepclutch »

Many new people gets a kick from reading RMS and FOSS movement, it seems. In real world, Proprietary technologies rules both h/w and s/w. We have to live with that (..that FOSS is not going to be 100% realized..neither GPL'ing every software or open hardware platform and other open x..y..z things.
But, Linux environment even though open source offers a sustainable employment opportunity to many people and thrives. I believe most of us, home/business users have any problem with that or help donating or paying for the services.

Offtopic: below link have some know "Ubuntu" issues. (I'm not against Ubuntu, anyway):
https://micahflee.com/2013/01/why-im-le ... or-debian/
Last edited by deepclutch on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

deepclutch wrote:Many new people gets a kick from reading RMS and FOSS movement, it seems!. In real world, Linux environment even though open source offers a sustainable employment opportunity to many people. I believe most of us, home/business users have any problem with that or help donating or paying for the services.
However, below link have some know "Ubuntu" issues. (I'm not against Ubuntu, anyway):
https://micahflee.com/2013/01/why-im-le ... or-debian/

:?

mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

this is always an interesting toipic to think about : why would one wish to avoid doing business with a commercial source ?

suggested reading: Sentry Eagle

any entity which takes a licence -- ( "Inc", "llc" ... ) may find itself subject to "policy". without the licence an entity would be subject to civil|criminal law.

Phil Zimmerman had a lot of trouble with the government over PGP as may be recalled. the government attempted to assert that Phil had exported strong cryptographic software contrary to the law. Phil managed to evade the boot on this as although he did create PGP he wasn't personally responsible for exporting it.

so strong crypto is now available publicly. so what is the Sentry Eagle to do ? "IMHO" it is looking to compromise hardware.

I run MINT on Debian here. It's my feeling Debian is less of a corporate critter than Ubuntu -- where Ubuntu comes from Mark Shuttleworth's Canonical company.

hardware bugs being installed
¡Viva la Resistencia!
bromanbro

Post by bromanbro »

MartyMint wrote:

This. This debate is like Free to Play games. Some shove their microtransactions down your throat, while paywalling gameplay-related stuff, while some (like Path of Exile and Dota 2) just have cosmetics cost money.

Mint is more like Dota 2, where they don't shove sponsored content down user's throats (search engines, for example), whereas Ubuntu has a sponsor on their taskbar AND sponsored search results on by default.

I made sure to disable adblock on this site :). I know it's not much, but wanna help where I can.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

bromanbro wrote:
MartyMint wrote:

This. This debate is like Free to Play games. Some shove their microtransactions down your throat, while paywalling gameplay-related stuff, while some (like Path of Exile and Dota 2) just have cosmetics cost money.

Mint is more like Dota 2, where they don't shove sponsored content down user's throats (search engines, for example), whereas Ubuntu has a sponsor on their taskbar AND sponsored search results on by default.

I made sure to disable adblock on this site :). I know it's not much, but wanna help where I can.

That's the way to do it.

:)

Return to “Chat about Linux”