systemd removal from the system

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: systemd removal from the system

Post by xenopeek »

If you want to move on rhY we wish you the best, but neither Linux Mint 17 nor LMDE 1 uses the systemd journal for logging. Even if you have added repositories (Debian testing to LMDE for example) and are migrating early to systemd journal because of that, you can revert to syslog with one short edit. Edit /etc/systemd/journald.conf and add or change the line:
ForwardToSyslog=yes
As explained in the journald.conf manpage, this setting forwards the logging if you have a syslog daemon running. So you can continue to use syslog.

Personally, I'm happy with the systemd journal on my not-Mint distro; it contains more information, is faster (for me) to search, and journalctl can be piped so I can grep, cut, sed, and whatnot just as I used to do with syslog files.

But as always, use whatever works best for you :wink:
kimiko

Post by kimiko »

rhY wrote:Ugh, I just got a systemd update in Update Manager.

It's official: I'm moving on from Linux Mint.

It's been a nice ride.
Well, me too. There are several reasons over there confirming that systemd is a cancer and I prefer avoid it.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

interesting read on systemd on ZD Net this moring

impression: Pottering is in over his head.

the Linux community is very resiliant though and my bet is we will have distros available retaining System V init instead of getting into systemd
¡Viva la Resistencia!
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

mike acker wrote:interesting read on systemd on ZD Net this moring

impression: Pottering is in over his head.

the Linux community is very resiliant though and my bet is we will have distros available retaining System V init instead of getting into systemd

Please, please, PLEASE...

...stop saying this:

"1. It doesn't follow the Linux (Unix) philosophy of creating small tools to do just one job."

It's an empty slogan that signifies absolutely NOTHING.
Yet folks pin it to their foreheads like it's the 11th Commandment.
:roll:

systemd is the (logical) future, regardless of the fact the Poettering is a prickly sour-puss.
All the malcontents will fork themselves off into oblivion, leaving the sane to go about making Desktop Linux a better experience for everyone else.

You'll see. I'll gladly bump this thread in 2 years when the systemd freak-out nonsense is looked back on with embarrassment.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

MartyMint wrote: { snip }
You'll see. I'll gladly bump this thread in 2 years when the systemd freak-out nonsense is looked back on with embarrassment.
I have to disagree with your post. The reason Pottering's work needs to come under re-evaluation is that he is creating bugs in init. this indicates that he does not have complete understanding of the process.

we do not need a buggy/difficult init in any LINUX dist. and RHEL is no exception.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Let's move on and not rehash the tiresome debate about merits of the components developed by the systemd project here again. It's done to death in other places already. Stop proselytizing (either against it, or for it). Use what works for you, and yes we can revisit in two years time but let's not debate about it till then.

Return to “Chat about Linux”