Why is it so difficult to install a multi-function printer?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
louparker

Why is it so difficult to install a multi-function printer?

Post by louparker »

I have been learning linux now for two or so years. I do not understand with all the advances in the integration of the various resources and the acceptance of Linux why it is so difficult to install a multi-function printer. From Add Printer, it is easy, but coupled with x-sane, simplescan, etc it can be a nightmare. Any opinions? Thanks!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Why is it so difficult to install a multi-function print

Post by austin.texas »

If all printer manufacturers used the same guidelines it would be easy. As it is, the linux teams do an incredible job of working to accomodate all the different systems that the manufacturers come up with, many times with no cooperation from the manufacturers.
It is like trying to herd cats.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

It si not too dofficult if you buy HP printers, or so I gather. I had setup several HP mfd with almost no issues at all. But any other mfg. And you may be having a skull splitting headache.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

openprinting.org is probably the best place for information on what printers work with Linux and what doesn't. I've always used HP printers: you just install HPLIP and you're in business.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I have not noticed it being a problem. If your printer is a lexmark then the answer would be 'yes'. But for the most part HP and Brother printers are just fine. I run brother printers here. Before I even decide to buy a printer I always check the manufactuer website and also google for driver support for the printer.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

So say the name and model of the printer which you find difficult to install.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Maufacture non-support of an alien OS: that's WHY

If you mean windows, Add printer
  • That wouldn't work well either if the manufacturer hadn't provided a driver for their device to Microsoft and probably had it MS certified as compliant WHQL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHQL_Testing
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 23132.aspx
Last edited by DrHu on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Folks should feel easily able to ask for a how-to

Post by pdc_2 »

have you a specific printer in mind? We all find it easier if you can tell us:

A general comment would be: forums exist to help; we can't all be experts on everything; "experts" in one area are very likely to ask for help; in another area where they know nothing about the topic at all;

.......the famous old phrase................................."as I have got older, there has been an extraordinary increase in the number of things I know absolutely nothing about!!"

so surely folks should just post and ask for help; just like talking to people

Post by DrHu »

OK, but it (that post) isn't really a question of asking for help with a problem
--it is more of a complaint ref: why can't Linux do this ??

So my response, I see as perfectly matching the quality of that question
That's why --> is the answer
--if I thought there was a question and the poster wanted help with a specific printer (model/brand issue), I would have responded quite differently

-------------------end of speech; thank-you.
bobww99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobww99 »

It is difficult because you are a newbie like me. Member and user for 5 months. It can be extremely difficult depending on distro,router-modem,printer,type of interface and knowledge of (manufacturers,all distros) jargon,computer skills and just plain identifying the exact problem. I just barely completed hooking up to a Brother printer. Was forced to use a ppd file close to my actual printer. It works and prints. I guessing here, but it took me 2 weeks and 3 different distro's to settle on Mint 13 Mate and an est. 30 to forty min. types of terminal,bash command and GUI interface not to mention a working knowledge of local:631 admin and I still did not get it perfect. IT CAN BE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT FOR A NEWBIE.

Return to “Chat about Linux”