Devoted Linux Mint user happier with latest SolydxK

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GenomeJB

Devoted Linux Mint user happier with latest SolydxK

Post by GenomeJB »

For years I have been installing each new version of LMME, LMDE and LMKDE as they became available. This was after trying very hard for a longer time to get Debian to work at all, and then to get it working the way I wanted it to work: fine sharing, printer sharing, PIM, etc. With each new version of Mint came new problems, and I have many composition books on each version that show countless hours trying to make them work. I also finally have Debian working right, my objective from 10-15 years ago. My plan has been to keep Debian up to date, which is the repository of all my current Home folders and have LMDE be my favorite day-to-day version of Linux Mint. Recently I saw mention of SolydxK201407 and installed it. Lo and Behold it is working fine, and without any of the installation struggles of past years. Kontact is superior to Evolution, in that Birthdays and Anniversaries works as it should, even with tasks that have a due date displayed on the Calendar. What a great idea, finally! File Sharing and Printer Sharing were easy to set up too. My wife is so happy not to hear my almost endless swearing as I installed each new version, unable to comprehend why I would spend so much time installing new versions of Linux when an older version was working notwithstanding the fact we have another perfectly good computer running Win7! And she was so happy with the WinXP that we used for years. So now, I will probably not continue with all the upgrades to Linux Mint, since SolydxK is working more to my satisfaction than Linix Mint. A note to reviewers, how about describing efforts to set up a PIM, Printer Sharing and File Sharing when a new Linux is evaluated? That, in my opinion, will tell many of us how good the software really is. But Mint Team, please keep up the good work anyway! I will always be looking for the "better Linux."
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Devoted Linux Mint user happier with latest SolydxK

Post by DrHu »

Ok,
  • I don't tend to Distro-HOP that much, unless I see something particularly different with these desktop OS's: they have reach a non-differenced stage --> a sameness that they all appear as; whether it is commercial (Microsoft, Google or Apple(only Apple being the odd-man out))
I use Linux Mint XFCE version, and unless Solydx offers any iron-clad menu edits, I won't be getting that excited by it.
--I can always use text edits for XFCE if I wish to; and it is always good practice to know where the parts of the OS are installed to.
  • As an aside, I have not found Debian Netinstall or even their straight install that awkward or incomplete
    --BSD systems do tend to have that problem, hardware compatibility with their driver software/hard drives or whatever breaking the install process: the desktop *BSD systems are better in that regard to openBSD ..
--the issue will be as it always is for Linux distributions: costing and whether or not they will also fall into the trap of not enough time/resources to somewhat guarantee that everything installs AOK! and system(s) work as advertised

The commercial companies are not that much better as they are also fail in that regard and occasionally fall down on the job, despite their much greater resources
GenomeJB

Re: Devoted Linux Mint user happier with latest SolydxK

Post by GenomeJB »

I recently installed Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce and happen to like it a lot. I have two computers with two drives on each, so I keep looking at different distros. I keep upgrading Debian, now 8.1, gnome classic, as well as the latest Solydxk. I prefer KDE because of the Contact manager and ease of installing Google Contacts and Calendar. I have wasted a lot of time with Evolution, so tend not to use Mate of Cinnamon, though I do like the latter. Not seeing much difference in distros once sharing and printing is enabled. Installation keeps getting better. At one time I would spend weeks getting sharing of folders enabled or getting printers to work right. Fortunately I am retired and have lots of time on my hands.

Return to “Chat about Linux”