Linux and Multifunction printers [Closed]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Linux and Multifunction printers [Closed]

Post by HappyLinux »

I've looked around for information on this to outdated success. What I mean is that the threads I've seen are for printers before they started coming out as multifunction.

I'm currently using a Canon iP7250. Not exactly multifunction, but at the time is was the most suitable as it allows printing onto disks. I also know that it doesn't work under Linux. I typically have to boot my computer into Windows when I need to print something off. This is annoying because I tend to use Linux for office work.

I'm not asking for help in getting my printer to work, I'd simply like to have a general chat about multifunction printers under Linux for future reference. My printer still works quite well. When it packs in, I wouldn't mind knowing which brands to look out for.

I keep hearing about HP printers, but I just don't know. What sort do any of you folks suggest?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Linux and Multifunction printers

Post by kyphi »

Many years ago when I first started using Linux (Fedora), I had a Canon scanner that would not work in Linux but worked fine in Windows. When I switched to the just released Ubuntu, the scanner still would not work and Canon, at that time, seemed totally disinterested in providing drivers for Linux.

In contrast, Hewlett-Packard provided drivers for its hardware and I bought a multifunction device from HP, plugged it in and it worked immediately.
The Canon scanner was donated to a charity.

When the HP device eventually developed "apoplexy" :wink: by spewing ink on the wall, I bought an Epson Artisan 725 which still serves me well.

Canon have learned from their earlier mistake and now provide drivers for their products but these have to be found and installed (same as Epson), whereas the HP driver is incorporated in the Linux kernel and HP devices work as soon as they are plugged in. If you were to buy the most recently released HP device, there is a chance that it may need the very latest HP driver not incorporated in the kernel that you are currently using. HP make the acquisition of the very latest driver very easy and their walkthrough to install "hplip" (the HP driver) is thorough and detailed so that anyone can follow it.

Get the drift?
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I'm with kyphi. I've had no problems getting HP printers to work with Linux. HP has been very good supporting their printers with the HPLIP drivers. It's easier to install an HP printer on Linux than it is on Windows. I understand Epsons are fairly well supported too, but I've never used one. Canons come in three varieties: paperweight, doorstop, and boat anchor.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

I have been using nothing but Linux for quite a few years and am using LinuxMint 17 and also LMDE, my favorite by far. I have had a number of HP MFP's, over the years, and they have all have worked flawlesly out of the box. I just bought an HP Color Laserjet pro MFP M476dn. I have hplip-3.14.6 so the MFP, as usual, has worked perfectly right out of the box. I don't think I would take a chance on buying any other MFP, or any other printer for that matter.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

I have a Brother MFC. Was a bit tricky to configure but now work flawlessly via usb. Brothers have generally linux support.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Cheers for the understanding folks.

My first Canon was an iP4700. It worked brilliant for 3 years until you get the dreaded motor problem that happens in many printers. Basically, it stopped taking paper.

For years before, it was Epson printer after printer since Win98. Then they changed their product line in a way that made it far too expensive to get a decent printer from them to serve our needs. Haven't been back since.

Not many printers allow printing onto CD/DVDs. As far as I know, there haven't been a HP printer that did that in years. The cheapest Epson that did so was nearly £200, yet Canon was less than £100. Printing onto these is a requirement, just not a priority.

I'm just not a heavy user of printers. Now and then I'll print something off; a document or picture, sometimes a custom DVD.

Oh yes, even though there are Linux drivers for Canon printers, they're never kept up to date. For the Canon iP4700 that I had, I managed to install the driver on a version of Mint, but then when I installed the next release of Mint, the drivers refused to work.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Not many printers allow printing onto CD/DVDs. As far as I know, there haven't been a HP printer that did that in years. The cheapest Epson that did so was nearly £200, yet Canon was less than £100. Printing onto these is a requirement, just not a priority.
That could be because CDs and DVDs are nearing the end of the road - USB sticks and SDcards are much easier to use and store.

Regarding the HPs not printing CD labels - not true - the last HP MFD that I used, one of the Photosmart series, handled that with ease. My Epson Artisan 725 also prints labels directly to disc.

Although Lightscribe technology is being abandoned, I use that in preference to printing labels with ink.

If you prefer to print labels, try a program called "glabels" - you will find it in the Software Manager or synaptic.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

It is true that USB storage is supersceding CDs and DVDs. Well, DVDs are being replaced with Blu-Ray. I can think of many things that would keep DVDs in the game for a while longer.

I'm not saying there wasn't a HP printer that could print onto disks, I'm saying that as far as I know, there wasn't. Basically, I hadn't seen any recently.

I do have a question though. What models are the "HP MFD" and "Epson Artisan"? Are they model names used outside of the United Kingdom??

I thought lightscribe was abandoned some time ago???

I've already heard of the program glabels. However, there's no point installing it as I don't have a printer that works under Linux.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

I do have a question though. What models are the "HP MFD" and "Epson Artisan"? Are they model names used outside of the United Kingdom??
HP - Photosmart series
Epson Artisan 725
I am not familiar with what these might be called in the UK.

Lightscribe was abandoned by HP. You can still buy Lightscribe CDs and DVDs but when stocks of burners are exhausted, LG will be the only manufacturer left to make Lightscribe enabled burners.
Blueray provides increased storage, much greater than DVDs but is hogtied by using DRM (Digital Rights Management) reducing its popularity.

The only constant regarding technology is "change".
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

In the UK, Epson models consist of "Expression Home, Premium and Photo" and "Stylus Photo". The business model is called "Workforce".

For HP, they are "Deskjet", "Envy", "Photosmart" and "Officejet".

I'm not going to bother with naming the laser printers.

Why is BluRay hogtied with DRM???

You're right about the constant in technology is "change". What was it my BTEC IT teacher once said in class?? Oh right, I remember. "Before a computer hits the store shelf, its components are out of date."
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Just for your information:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ ... C11CA74201

As to why Blue-ray is hogtied to DRM, ask Hollywood. Following is an extract from Wikipedia:

The Blu-ray Disc format employs several layers of digital rights management (DRM) which restrict the usage of the discs.[166][167] This has led to extensive criticism of the format by organizations opposed to DRM, such as the Free Software Foundation,[168] and consumers because new releases require player firmware updates to allow disc playback.[169][170]
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

The Epson Artisan looks like the Expression models. The name difference is ridiculous as it can make things harder when trying to find a solution to a problem. Rebadging is annoying.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

A black box will always look like a black box. If you visit the URL I provided and click on Products, All-in-ones, you will find the Expression models as well as the Artisan which is now the 730 model (the 725 is no longer in production).
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

I've been searching, comparing printers between HP and Epson and have found a printer. Epson Expression Premium XP-600. It's multifunction, does auto-duplex printing, impressive scanner and also, disk printing.

I went through every printer listed on the HP website. They all look good. Scanner, auto-duplex etc. However, not a single one prints on disks. Then there was one major flaw. Most of the printer only use 2 cartridges; black and tricolour. A single cartridge for the colour ink which means you end up wasting perfectly good ink. I remember these cartridges many years ago, the Cyan always ran out first. I remember the Cyan running out, yet the other 2 colours were still half full.

I went through the Epson website and eventually found the cheapest printer which meets my requirements, the Expression Premium XP-600.

Oh my, here's something funny.

The XP-600 is £130 on the Epson website.
The XP-610 is £150 on the Epson website.

Here's the funny bit.

XP-600 is £160 on Amazon
XP-610 is £90 on Amazon.

Before you mention it, they're basically the same. I can't see what the difference is. My question now is, would either work under Linux.... and I mean everything??
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

The Epson XP-610 has been replaced by the newer model = XP-620

That is why the XP-610 model is currently on offer in US stores for a give-away price of between $85 and $90 USD. Not quite so cheap here. You can use the information of it being replaced by a newer model as a bargaining point should you want to buy. Remember that prices are reduced when you buy on-line and collect at the store.

Does my Artisan do everything in Linux? Yes, it does. As I mentioned earlier, I do not print on DVDs since I use Lightscribe but have done so in the past.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Without knowing which UK model the Artisan models translate as, I don't know whether the Artisan 730 is still available.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

I don't think that the model translates to anything. The model names do not change but possibly some may not be available in the UK. As to whether or not it is still available, I could not say since I have no idea about retail outlets in the UK. Perhaps you could enlighten me.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

I wish I could enlighten you as it tends to confuse me as well, no matter the brand. When I had the Canon iP4700 I needed to get some support for it but was having trouble. I eventually found the information I needed for the Australian model which was labelled as something different.

Taking a look at the Epson website for the US and UK side by side, it appears that they no longer do the Artisan models.... or did they just rename them as Expression????

However, even though Epson sells Expression models in both the UK and US, the model labels aren't the same.

For example, the UK model, Expression Premium XP-600 appears to be the same as the US model, Expression Premium XP-610. However, the XP-610 doesn't have wifi.

So I still don't really know what to do.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Here is the Linux driver for your Canon in .deb format:

http://www.canon.fr/Support/Consumer_Pr ... &language=
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Thanks for the French version.... I don't speak French. So I just looked for it in English. There's version 3.80 which hasn't been updated since 2 November 2012. Requires Ubuntu 12.04. Hasn't worked on any Ubuntu version other than that. I said it before, Canon would release a driver for a Linux release, but when a newer model of Linux is released, the drivers are useless, and Canon doesn't update them to compensate.

Return to “Chat about Linux”