Linux and Multifunction printers [Closed]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Linux and Multifunction printers

Post by kyphi »

If you go to the French site quoted above, scroll down to where it says "Accepter et télécharger¨ which means that you accept (the licence agreement) and download, you will start the download of "cnijfilter-ip7200series-3.80-1-deb.tar.gz" which is the driver for your printer.

You extract the contents of the tarball and unzip it via a right click on the downloaded file and selecting "Extract here" from the drop-down menu. Then you should have a .deb file which you install with a double left click.

I don't understand why you want a current driver. No-one writes new drivers for old machines and they are not operating system release dependent.

Do try that driver and if it does not work then take stock of your requirements and buy a replacement unit.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

I downloaded the driver and manual for the driver.

I followed the installation instructions. It tells me to install

Code: Select all

cnijfilter-common_3.80-1_amd64.deb
then the

cnijfilter-ip7200series_3.80-1_amd64.deb

The first one goes in fine, but the second one fails.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

these drivers may have dependency issues on Mint17 or Ubuntu 14.04.
Do you have the error message?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Checking the contents of the package, under "resources" are 3 language files: French, Japanese and Chinese. The "install.sh" file calls for the language file to match the system. That is most likely the reason why installation cannot proceed.

Can you insert an English file = printer_en_utf8.lc from the English website you accessed earlier?

It would still be interesting to see any error messages as requested by PatH57.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

I think actually they may have dropped this line with Ubuntu 14.04, I was looking at
https://launchpad.net/~michael-gruz/+ar ... anon-trunk
maybe this could work (can't test it myself)
griffon

Post by griffon »

My Canon mg6150 works fine under Mint 17 with the 3.40 driver. I haven't look to see whether there's a more recent one. If it ain't broke .....
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

The first Canon driver which supposedly installed, in fact didn't. Synaptic Package Manager said there was a broken package. when I selected the filter to show only broken packages, the only item there was the cnijfilter-common_3.80-1_amd64.deb file.

In reference to kyphi, I got these drivers from the UK website. So language wasn't the problem. It was something else. The drivers required installation of a third party item. It asked for version 4 of the item, and when I looked, there was only version 5 available which was already installed. Sorry, can't remember the name of the file.

As a further note, the Epson Expression Premium XP-600 http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/co ... view/11941 is said to work completely under Linux.

Well, according to this website anyway. http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Eps ... 600_Series
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

It looks like you have made a choice and chosen well.

The driver for the Canon was the last shot at getting it to work. Usually, when a dependency is listed with a version number, it means that it requires a minimum version and is displayed as "> 4" in which case version 5 would be suitable.

The printer driver for the Epson XP-600 from the OpenPrinting site is fine. It includes the LSB (Linux Standard Base) which is already installed in your system by default.

You will still have to get the 2 scanner files and the networking file, if you want to use wi-fi, from the Epson site.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
jake1954

Post by jake1954 »

I have a samsung mfc clx3185, I managed to get the printer to work but have had no luck with the scanner. Please send some help my way.
I am running linux mint 17
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

@ jake1954
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

kyphi wrote:It looks like you have made a choice and chosen well.

The driver for the Canon was the last shot at getting it to work. Usually, when a dependency is listed with a version number, it means that it requires a minimum version and is displayed as "> 4" in which case version 5 would be suitable.

The printer driver for the Epson XP-600 from the OpenPrinting site is fine. It includes the LSB (Linux Standard Base) which is already installed in your system by default.

You will still have to get the 2 scanner files and the networking file, if you want to use wi-fi, from the Epson site.
Well, fortunately, I don't bother with networking the printer. In fact, I've never networked a printer before.

If Linux Standard Base is listed as

lsb-base
in the repository, then my current version is 4.1.

If I went through the Epson website directly for the drivers, is this what I would need? http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... archModule

But which driver? The

ESC/P Driver (full feature)
or

ESC/P-R Driver (generic driver)
If i ignore the Network driver, then there's only 1 driver for the scanner on the list.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Please note that this will be my last post in this thread because it started as a "chat" about multifunction devices and has evolved into a hardware support topic.

To answer your last question, HappyLinux:

1. There is no need to install "lsb" since it is installed by default.
2. The ESC/P driver (full feature) contains the lsb. It is not needed since you already have lsb.
3. The ESC/P-R driver advises that you must install lsb first (if you do not have it). So, that is the one to install.
4. There are two scanner drivers on that list and you need both of them - iscan-data (to be installed first) and iscan.

If you get stuck, either look for installation instructions for Epson scanners (there are many posts) or start a new post. I will gladly assist.

Cheers and Good Luck.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Yes, I also noticed that it somehow started turning into a support topic.

I appreciate the chat. Thank you.

Return to “Chat about Linux”