10 Luxuries Only Linux Users Will Understand

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ejschram

10 Luxuries Only Linux Users Will Understand

Post by ejschram »

Hello everyone. Names Erik and I've been working on a fairly entertainting list on http://makethebestof.weebly.com/tech/10 ... understand, about the things I love most about Linux (mint especially). At the end of the article I challenged all my readers to install Linux on someone else's computer. Like convince a die hard Windows user to try a live usb of Mint and take a photo and post a story in my comments. Thought it'd be fun. So I'm extending it here. GO!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: 10 Luxuries Only Linux Users Will Understand

Post by Habitual »

"2. Safety" and "Sudo ON" seem contradictory.
One

Code: Select all

sudo rm -fr *
in the wrong directory can ruin your whole day.

Post by 1.618 »

CERN even runs their Large Hadron Collider on Linux.
should hope so too!!

CERN on windows - stops mid experiment to upgrade, lhc is ready to run again in a few years, providing they don't get the blue screen of death

CERN on Apple - have to send the whole LHC away to be repaired, no user serviceable parts!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Very nice ! keep up the good work. :D
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Hello. I took a browse through the site, and I must say it looks rather nice. Good job! How easy is weebly to use? I would like to have my own website too.

Wishing you all the best,
JohnBobSmith
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Accuracy = low

Enthusiasm = high

Well...you're pointed in the right direction at least, I guess.

:|
scryan

Post by scryan »

ejschram (from articles comment section) wrote:That's awesome Paul. I've never used X Window but I'll definitely look into it now. I do have to admit, I'm a giant sucker for being able to switch environments whenever I please. Lol its almost like pickin a station on Pandora. Whatever my mood is, there's a desktop for it.
The X Window System is what your running right now.... Its the standard window server that almost all linux GUI programs currently run under, at least until Wayland or MIR are more supported/usable.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xorg
ejschram

Post by ejschram »

Well there's no gettin anything past you guys.. lol I am not a linux guru nor a guru of any sort. there, ya got me. But i do know how to infect people with thoughts and i happen to love linux. So why not write about things I love while creating my site?
JohnBobSmith wrote:Hello. I took a browse through the site, and I must say it looks rather nice. Good job! How easy is weebly to use? I would like to have my own website too.

Wishing you all the best,
JohnBobSmith
Yes! Weebly is actually really easy. I'm no web-designer, but with the little html and common sense I do know, I'm able to get what I need to done. I will say it's not as..built up as say wordpress, but if you're willing to learn a little, you can do anything you need to.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

CERN even runs their Large Hadron Collider on Linux.
partially true 90% "only",and it's a custom made Linux kernel, the rest runs as computing farm and a bit of Microsoft cluster edition (Azure integration).
The most impressive feature is the distribution of data between tier one (major sites like universities) and tier 2 partners. Talk about bandwidth and storage capacity :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux”