The Case for Linux over Mac & Windows

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linus MacWinfrey

The Case for Linux over Mac & Windows

Post by Linus MacWinfrey »

As an old Windows user, I have always been using OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird and other portable applications on a flash drive.

With Windows moving towards an online-only solution in future, on a monthly or annual subscriptions base, I find that hanging on to Windows lost its appeal. Mac users buy MS Office, so what's the point with Mac? Both Windows and Mac have become expensive platforms for running FOSS applications.

Regardless of the million and a quarter other logical reasons to be using Linux only, it comes bundled with what everyone needs and then some, add to that the extensive applications repositories.

By design, not by market share, it is practically immune to malware as well. It asks little and delivers much, as it can run on older hardware with aplomb.

One really needs to ask whether the other OS's are still relevant for the right reasons, or are they like Hotel California where you can check out but never leave? Dear old John Dvorak wrote a piece recently, asking if Linux came too late. After having read all his arguments, I can say that we need to realise that there is a naked king, with tailors sewing with imaginary thread, to try and piece together a worn robe called Proprietary.

Like Dvorak, one can ask the question: did they overstay their welcome? Does it still make sense to buy expensive proprietary software and systems that seemingly fail after every next update?

Linux rose to maturity, from an ugly duckling to a graceful swan, the leader of the flock. Linux ballets on the world's supercomputers, it runs on millions of servers, oy powers millions of networked or stand-alone desktop units. Linux is a liberation of the mind, unshackling the user experience from bondage to freedom.

From my perspective, Linux did not come to the party too late. Perhaps it is just above the mental reach of the majority out there, as the only logical, sensible operating system today is Linux. I also want it on my tablet and my phone, as my TV, VCR, PVR, microwave and even the car's "black box" runs it in various formats.

Refresh your cyber mind with a breathe of cool Mint!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Re: The Case for Linux over Mac & Windows

Post by excollier »

Well articulated.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint

Post by 1.618 »

Linus MacWinfrey wrote: the only logical sensible operating system today is Linux.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Linus MacWinfrey wrote: Linux is a liberation of the mind, unshackling the user experience from bondage to freedom.
8)
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

+ 1 to what the OP said. :D
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I assume we are talking specifically about Linux on the desktop?

Windows being Windows there's no point in arguing for or against it because it owns the desktop space.

There's two groups that use OSX - wealthier folks who can afford the hardware costs and software developers. Although the two types are quite different they both use it for the same reason - predictability. It's a very predicatable platform and it allows it's users to use it to do something else.

Linux works best when it's under the control of adult supervision so it excels in things like servers and android and devices. Sadly the desktop in not such a place. There's 5000 moving parts to all this and no one entity is in charge of it all. Linux on the desktop is not a product that is "shipped" it's a collection of packages that is "released" and not all those packages are "ready".

This may all be moot since companies like Gartner ( whose sole function in life is to tell corporate CTO's what to think ) have already predicted the death of the desktop so eventually Linux will one day realize it's dreams of world domination through other platforms.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Linus MacWinfrey

altair4 wrote:I assume we are talking specifically about Linux on the desktop?

Windows being Windows there's no point in arguing for or against it because it owns the desktop space.

There's two groups that use OSX - wealthier folks who can afford the hardware costs and software developers. Although the two types are quite different they both use it for the same reason - predictability. It's a very predicatable platform and it allows it's users to use it to do something else.

Linux works best when it's under the control of adult supervision so it excels in things like servers and android and devices. Sadly the desktop in not such a place. There's 5000 moving parts to all this and no one entity is in charge of it all. Linux on the desktop is not a product that is "shipped" it's a collection of packages that is "released" and not all those packages are "ready".

This may all be moot since companies like Gartner ( whose sole function in life is to tell corporate CTO's what to think ) have already predicted the death of the desktop so eventually Linux will one day realize it's dreams of world domination through other platforms.
I presume that you view this from a first world perspective, not taking into consideration that two-thirds of the world remain unconnected. Add to this the cost of internet connectivity and the unreliability thereof and you will find that the future growth path of Microsoft is irrelevant to the bulk of users out there. Linux is being used much wider than anticipated, on desktops, by households around the globe where there is no Internet access at all. Distrowatch doesn't see the downloads, as a DVD may be used to install Linux on many machines.

Apple: I have been using a MacbookPro and an iPhone 5. These two have proved to be unreliable and of inferior quality. It was the buggiest of all devices that I have been using ever since 1977 since I started fooling around with computers. Every update broke yet more functions and then one had to wait for ages to see critical features restored, if at all. 245 Pages of posts by irate users lamenting the loss of USB sync, for example. Then, the cheap USB cables, from Apple, that won't work because Apple's systems "thought" that these were not genuine Mac items. Read Apple user forums and see how many users experienced this. Apple's unreliability and insane pricing are very much predictable, yes!

The idiots at Gartner have no understanding of how the world operates outside of New York. Those people knows everything about nothing and are opinionated about that. Perhaps someone should one day explain that there is a big world out there, where practicalities are different from the First World. Those listening to them are even bigger fools. They remind of the European motoring manufacturers who want to sell SUV's in Africa and Australia but forget to fit proper spare wheels. Some people in the "developed" world just cannot think for themselves and need adult supervision.

Microsoft Windows is not easier, more stable, more user friendly, more secure, more functional than your modern Linux distro. Perhaps you need to take a closer look and see how far behind and how fragile Windows is. You may need to gain some discernment, weed out bias and forget how Windows and Linux looked like a few short years ago. Windows had become the most daft user interface around, even after Win 8.1 arrived.

Perhaps children here in South Africa are on the right diet as they do not require adults to keep them from breaking Linux. I really don't see where your comment comes from, as already little will go wrong without a root password. Or are you just used to very undisciplined, destructive kids?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Some good points. I have recently blasted Windows 8.1 off my laptop and Linux Mint 17 is now the sole operating system in residence.

The one benefit I see to Windows is that in many cases it makes computers cheaper. I have read that in some cases buying a computer with no operating system installed is more expensive. The only gripe I have against Windows is that it is a greater target of hackers and purveyors of malware. Since I have only booted into Windows 3 times in the last 6 months, it just seemed logical to give that disk space to Mint 17.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Linus MacWinfrey

tdockery97 wrote:Some good points. I have recently blasted Windows 8.1 off my laptop and Linux Mint 17 is now the sole operating system in residence.

The one benefit I see to Windows is that in many cases it makes computers cheaper. I have read that in some cases buying a computer with no operating system installed is more expensive. The only gripe I have against Windows is that it is a greater target of hackers and purveyors of malware. Since I have only booted into Windows 3 times in the last 6 months, it just seemed logical to give that disk space to Mint 17.
Where I am, we are lucky to get el cheapo Clevo computers branded as Mecer, Laptops can even be ordered without hard drives, so one can fit your own. It is a bit cheaper than the ones that come with Windows.

Some laptops can take two HDD's, so that also is an option to consider when buying new. However, I am not using Linux because it is free, but because it works! :mrgreen:
Linus MacWinfrey

altair4 wrote: Linux works best when it's under the control of adult supervision so it excels in things like servers and android and devices. Sadly the desktop in not such a place. There's 5000 moving parts to all this and no one entity is in charge of it all.
How many various distro's we have today, isn't worth discussing even, as most of the 289 are irrelevant in the desktop environment. Two distros that really offer a user-friendly, stable, secure environment are Mint and Zorin. The latter is best prescribed to those who want a Windows-like experience. Then we have Mint, the world's third largest OS after Windows & Mac.

Mint comes in various editions, ranging from the svelte KDE to the humble Xfce. One is perhaps spoilt for choice. I am using XFce as my hardware is ancient, the CPU is slow but even the minuscule 2GB RAM isn't even properly taxed by fairly demanding use of various browsers and office software simultaneously. There are always for workspaces loaded, each for its own type of application.

My Windows 7 Ultimate 64x was incompatible with peripherals, Windows 8 Home MLE 64x was a smoother experience, the File History function equals my chron job of Luckybackup. Having said that, it required constant vigil as security still is where Windows really is lacking. So much effort and resources go into preventing malware infections, then there is the ever-growing already bloated footprint, leaving Windows in need of an adult to guide it along.
Welly Wu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Welly Wu »

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P notebook PC and I threw out my Lenovo system recovery CD-ROM discs and my genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP-1 64 bit DVD-ROM disc in the garbage last night. It got picked up by the Nutley, New Jersey garbage truck earlier this morning. That should tell you something about my opinions about Microsoft products and services.

Apple is no better and it far more expensive of an ecosystem. You pay a premium and you get less for your money compared to PCs in return.

GNU/Linux is the only sensible desktop and mobile operating system in my opinion and experience. I choose to use the latest Ubuntu 64 bit LTS GNU/Linux desktop operating system because I value reliability and stability along with security. I tried Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" 64 bit, but I found that the Cinnamon 2.4 64 bit desktop environment to be too flaky for my personal tastes as it would consistently crash randomly compared to Ubuntu Unity desktop environment.

At the end of this year, I can afford virtually any desktop or notebook PC because I am a saver and I am building up a large cash reserve inside my Sentry Safe with each passing month. GNU/Linux helps me to save my time and money. Period.

Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh OS X suck my wallet dry and leave me hanging with technical issues that I can no longer be bothered with to fix any longer. GNU/Linux is trending worldwide and its' rapid adoption rate worldwide outside of North America is stunning if you investigate and research the subject matter carefully. In the next five years or less by 2020 AD, GNU/Linux will become the second most popular desktop and mobile operating system in the world outside of North America and both Apple, Inc. and Microsoft Corporation will have a tougher sell to push their products and services to global citizens worldwide when competing directly against GNU/Linux and Google Android combined.

Here in North America especially within the United States of America, I don't see any major changes to the status quo. Apple, Inc. and Microsoft Corporation started their businesses here and their products and services are well entrenched deep into our American culture and society. There will be small and steady GNU/Linux communities that will spring up and die over time here in the states, but it will pose no direct threat to Apple, Inc. or Microsoft Corporation for either of them to care at all. Americans are inured to paying a premium for products and services because we are bombarded by slick advertisements to consume more stuff in our lives. For GNU/Linux to succeed here in the states, it will not happen within my lifetime and I am resigned to that fact. Americans want products and services that are as easy and simple to use and they will gladly fork over their hard earned US dollars for convenience over something that is foreign and more challenging.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Linus MacWinfrey wrote: With Windows moving towards an online-only solution in future, on a monthly or annual subscriptions base
Where did you see that? I'd like to see where this claim comes from.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

maybe not so much, the O/S itself,
but Office 365 is one example, of that.
- and the cardboard that you buy @ your local office supply, which gives a code to use on your D/ld Office 2015.
ie: No CD with that.

And the Biggie:
- that Free Copy of Win_10 - is a D/ld ISO only - that you must get / install yourself.
probably will be no CD with that offer .. ..

- maybe auto-update - as was win8 - win8.1 was.
was still a DvD sized update though.
- google : KB3035583
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

z31fanatic wrote:
Linus MacWinfrey wrote: With Windows moving towards an online-only solution in future, on a monthly or annual subscriptions base
Where did you see that? I'd like to see where this claim comes from.
That's pretty much straight from Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella's mouth. He has intimated in recent media events that Microsoft is moving toward a mobile-oriented, online-oriented paradigm, with emphasis on both SAAS and PAAS (software as a service and platform as a service). SAAS has already been realized with Office 365; PAAS is only a matter of time.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

I know about Office but that is different. A lot of productivity software is now subscription based, not just Office. Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom for example.

I doubt they are that stupid to do the same with Windows. That would be suicide.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I agree, Linux Yes! -- It does come with a lot of apps and support..

Linux remains the secret sauce behind lots of apps and systems, and for users who can get beyond the hype, it performs admirably

However, as these other OS's differentiate themselves in the marketplace (Mobile is hot, so Android, IOS or maybe Ms), their perceived user base increases
--anyway that's the world we inhabit

Return to “Chat about Linux”