Linux Supports

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chriskmint

Linux Supports

Post by Chriskmint »

Hi guys, I'm Chris and have recently installed LM Qiana Cinnamon and I don't know a thing about computers, all I know is there's a power button and I can go on the internet, play media and I can slave away with word and excel and run an app or two. Having decided it's time for a change from the loathsome windows 8 I decided to try out 3 Linux distros in the virtual box on someone's advice.

After several weeks I decided to install it myself and to do so in a dualboot, not wanting to lose windows as I know I can trust windows as opposed to Linux which I know nothing about.

The level of support I received during the process is the best I've ever experienced bar none, what's more is that they do it because they are passionate about Linux, not because they get paid to do a job.

I took a chance and trusted what forum members had to say and worked according to what they told me, which if you ask me is a hell of a lot better than reading and watching a ton of stuff, which I try to do, but often times during this process wrong information was pointed out to me - and that's the value I think Linux has.

It is great to find links to helpful articles and threads which go into great detail, but it is even better
when someone communicates with you and you know you are not only heard, but listened to and you guys take the time and effort to answer all the questions a complete ignorant can have and patiently guide one through everything.

Because sometimes it's better hear what someone knows, or what that person's perspective or opinion is, that really adds value to information which would otherwise just be one big blackhole.

I'd like to give a special thank you to gold_finger and wayne128 who helped me through a successful install and worked out a couple of problems along the way.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobww99
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Supports

Post by bobww99 »

Nice post. You have chosen the best (in my opinion) distro Linux offers. One thing though, try to ask questions by giving all the possible information and answerer might need. This helps everyone understand where your at within the problem and makes it a whole lot easier to answer.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Great Chris- only thing to say about your post is-------Yes!

and congratulations
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I have been using Linux for 12 years, and the willingness of others to help out people in need of help is one of the things I love about Linux. I have, however, been disappointed with some of the rude comments I have seen since joining this forum. Doesn't happen often, though. Welcome to Linux Mint!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Chat about Linux”