Is it worth it to compile Kernel as of (Today) 2014?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
apemanx

Is it worth it to compile Kernel as of (Today) 2014?

Post by apemanx »

Hi,

I want to know, as of 2014 August (new age/times, newer tech). Is it still worth it to compile the kernel? -and then install it. Compiling the kernel is a old topic, I know, but with all the updates and advances in LMDE and Mint 17, is there a benefit to compiling the kernel from source and installing it? (Source to .deb and install the headers etc etc...)

Would I see improvements on system performance? Will the updates still come up and be available?

Thanks - I'm very curious about these internal manual updating with regard to source code and performance improvement.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eanfrid

Re: Is it worth it to compile Kernel as of (Today) 2014?

Post by eanfrid »

Once you started to compile your own custom kernel (from http://www.kernel.org) for your computer(s), nobody else but you can and will keep it updated. This does not prevent you from installing later your distro-supported kernels: you can boot on whichever kernel you want as long as your computer and distro release are compatible with it.

Aside, compiling your own kernel always has many advantages over generic-one-size-fits-all kernels in at least 3 domains:

1/ adding/tuning/testing support for some drivers/features that you (may) need for your hardware
2/ in some cases: performance gains
3/ reducing the size of kernel and headers by removing support for features/drivers that you do not need

In my own case, I compile kernels mainly for tuning file systems, network stack, virtualization support and i/o scheduling and putting out of the way big parts of the kernel that I will never need.
apemanx

Post by apemanx »

Thanks for the answer! Exactly what I was looking for!

Just two more questions:
In Grub I assume I will be able to choose the kernel ?
Will other software still update through normal (apt-get update)?

This can be an interesting educative journey! - especially stripping of useless things for future lightweight distros!
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

apemanx wrote:1/ In Grub I assume I will be able to choose the kernel ?
2/ Will other software still update through normal (apt-get update)?
1/ Yes. Depending on grub version, pressing <Shift> or <ESC> will show the grub boot menu
2/ You rather mean "apt-get upgrade" :) But yes. Tuning the engine in your car does not prevent you to choose your favorite radio stations or which road to take either.
apemanx

Post by apemanx »

Excellent news!
Now, Friday afternoon here, Just need to get home from work! :x

Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux”