Don't you just hate distro/DE hopping? :P

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Myrmidon83

Don't you just hate distro/DE hopping? :P

Post by Myrmidon83 »

I have been running Mate 13 KDE the last year which I have enjoyed a lot, really like KDE however sometimes it's a bit much. So lately I have been thinking of something a bit more minimal and newer, been trying out Elementary OS, both Luna and it's new freya beta and I REALLY like it so far. Also been looking at Mint 17 xfce BUT, I have come to realise that I need the following things in a DE:

1. Hot corners
2. Some nice transition effects.
3. Expo and Scale effects.
4. Speediness.

I run Cinnamon on my work laptop which I really like as well but just feel like a change on my home laptop. So just now I am torn between Elementary OS and XFCE using Kwin as the window manager (which I just found out about recently).

Such a hard life sometimes lol. Anyone else get into these situations? :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Don't you just hate distro/DE hopping? :P

Post by nomko »

I don't like:
1. Hot corners
2. Some nice transition effects
3. Expo and Scale effects

I like:
4. Speediness

I do like a nice clean desktop that appeals me. Elementary OS looks good, but due to the upper (task)bar is gives me the feeling of dealing with a Gnome3 desktop made fancy... The way Deepin looks i like more! Clean, fast en elegant desktop. Both Elementary OS and Deepin suffer the same idiotic Gnome3 crazy idea (for me it is): hot corners, expo, scaling, bla bla bla..... I don't want to expand a window over my full desktop when i move it to the top... i don't want 2 or more windows to be tiled when i move one.... for me that's horrible. It only provides you with more actions to get everything back to what it use to be...

However, distrohopping in general can turn out to something positive. You find your favorite distro and desktop environment doing so ;)

Return to “Chat about Linux”