How do you organise your (filesystem) stuff?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yatesco

How do you organise your (filesystem) stuff?

Post by yatesco »

Hi all,

I go through a regular process of "right, let's organise this mess" and come up with a really nice denormalised hierarchy on the filesystem. I am very disciplined and use that hierarchy.....until I don't, it all gets messy and then I think "right, let's organise this mess" only now the mess is slightly worse as it is a combination of seemingly randomly placed files and a hierarchy that used to make sense. And repeat ad infinitum.

To make things more interesting I also oscillate between the filesystem and evernote with judicious use of tags. (I also oscillate between Dropbox, google drive but now I am pretty set on btsync, particularly with btsync-gui and encrypted peers). I guess my ideal would be something like evernote with a fuse plugin (any takers?) so I can "mount" it in nemo.

Things I have looked at:
- tagspaces (tagspaces.org) - this is really promising, but still has a few rough kinks to work through. It doesn't appear to have much development recently either.
- a bunch of tag based fuse systems, http://www.tagsistant.net/ for example. They are all a bit too awkward though. Fantastic concept though.
- nixnote, everpad for Linux evernote integration
- PlayOnLinux/evernote5 - this works great once you have jumped through the font smoothing hoops

So, my question (finally!) - how do you organise you many GBs of accumulated documents, photos, expenses etc. Ideally something that is cross platform.

Answers I am hoping for are along the lines of:
- I use this really trivial file system hierarchy...
- I use a filing system and this really handy search facility in nemo
- I use XYZ which integrates wonderfully with the filing system
- Ah, you want semantic search - checkout out XYZ for Nemo

As to which answers I expect - any and all are welcome :).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
yatesco

Re: How do you organise your (filesystem) stuff?

Post by yatesco »

One extra requirement if I may - it should be fantastic if a sensible approach to bookmarking was suggested. I care more about organising information that I do about where that information came from.

The more I think about it the more I realise I want to use Evernote as an engine with a filesystem front end. Maybe in the free time I really don't have :) I should look into integrating nemo with http://www.geeknote.me/

Return to “Chat about Linux”