Chitwanix OS + Sagarmatha DE: A cinnamon fork al Win. 8

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brahim Salem

Chitwanix OS + Sagarmatha DE: A cinnamon fork al Win. 8

Post by Brahim Salem »

I have discovered a new Linux Distro called Chitwanix OS"is an Ubuntu-based distribution that has been crafted to fit the needs of computer users in Nepal. It comes with the Sagarmatha desktop environment (a fork of Linux Mint's Cinnamon) and it also offers various user-friendly enhancements. The developers of Chitwanix OS are cooperating with user communities in Nepal in order to translate the operating system and applications into Nepali, as well as Tharu, Newari, Gurung and Magar languages" (Dstrowatch http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=chitwanix)

It looks very neat and elegant guys :shock: Did anyone try it before :D

Image Image
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Chitwanix OS + Sagarmatha DE: A cinnamon fork al Win. 8

Post by cmost »

What I find so intriguing about Chitwanix OS's Sagarmatha desktop environment is that it has all of Compiz's effects out of the box. I really wish Clem and team would add these to Cinnamon and give us back our wobbly windows and spinning cube. In the meantime, I wonder if Sagarmatha can be compiled to work on other distros.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

cmost wrote:What I find so intriguing about Chitwanix OS's Sagarmatha desktop environment is that it has all of Compiz's effects out of the box. I really wish Clem and team would add these to Cinnamon and give us back our wobbly windows and spinning cube. In the meantime, I wonder if Sagarmatha can be compiled to work on other distros.

Does compiz run on Sagarmatha :shock: :shock: I'm getting it definetely :D :D
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@ Zorba

I took a look through their website and it clearly states that all the Compiz goodies are included. What's interesting is that Sagarmatha is a fork of Cinnamon 2.0. Therefore, it's possible to port these effects to Cinnamon proper. If Mint did that then Cinnamon would become the best DE hands down.
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@ Zorba

Oops, I spoke too soon. Upon more careful review Sagarmata is simply using a few existing Cinnamon extensions that provide wobbly windows, the cube effect and a couple others. I've looked at some of these extensions in the past and they're nowhere near up to Compiz's level of zing. Sorry if I got your hopes up.
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

cmost wrote:@ Zorba

Oops, I spoke too soon. Upon more careful review Sagarmata is simply using a few existing Cinnamon extensions that provide wobbly windows, the cube effect and a couple others. I've looked at some of these extensions in the past and they're nowhere near up to Compiz's level of zing. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

:( :(
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Then the question becomes why did they fork Cinnamon? Are they doing anything Cinnamon doesn't do, and which they couldn't contribute to Cinnamon?
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

And why do they ignore copyrights?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

/dev/urandom wrote:And why do they ignore copyrights?
What do you mean? If you meant Sagarmatha forking Cinnamon; they are complying with the GPL. Their fork's source code is published: https://github.com/chitwanix
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

I remember licensing issues when Linspire (Lindows) tried to mimic Windows graphically.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That wouldn't be a copyright issue; that would be a software patent issue.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

So the Sagarmatha guys "only" breach a patent but not a license? Congratulations.
SMarais
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SMarais »

The idea of cinnamon was to make it lighter than gnome and more efficient.
Adding back too much features would slow it down and make it really heavy as gnome is.
I like the fluidity of Cinnamon and I'm not sure I'd enjoy fancy effects with a less fluid DE.
I have LM Running on all these computers
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

/dev/urandom wrote:So the Sagarmatha guys "only" breach a patent but not a license? Congratulations.
Patent for software are not applicable in UE and for sure in Asia... :wink:

What I can see in this "distro" is a fork of Cinnamon 2.0 (2.2 is now available) without the smallest change. This is just a useless fork. This distro will fail. It's just a matter of weeks. :)
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

killer de bug wrote:This is just a useless fork.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@ Killer de bug

"What I can see in this "distro" is a fork of Cinnamon 2.0 (2.2 is now available) without the smallest change. This is just a useless fork. This distro will fail. It's just a matter of weeks."

Probably not. This distro will be the one of choice in Nepal instead of Linux Mint. Will it ever crack the top 20 at Distrowatch? Probably not. The developers have styled their OS to look Windows Vista but with Windows 8's flat colors. Why they forked Cinnamon I can't imagine since they could have simply pulled it in from the repos and styled it however they liked before cutting the ISOs. Maybe the developers figured if they forked Cinnamon then they'd have more control over breakages to their custom theming and Start menu. Or maybe they just wanted to use a name that their target users would recognize and understand. Who knows? It does seem that the developers are working with Mint's local teams so maybe some good idea sharing will take place.
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100

Return to “Chat about Linux”