live online banking usb updating (SOLVED)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
peacendcheeze

live online banking usb updating (SOLVED)

Post by peacendcheeze »

hi i am currently using puppy linux Precise 5.7 1 as a 'live online banking usb stick' i am not sure on how to make sure my browser on the live stick is the latest version or indeed how to keep my 'live' distro up to date and secure for the purpose of using it as an online banking tool

any advice on how to do the above would be of help or any howtos as i am a novice but know enough to at least try and keep my online banking safe as possible

with thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: live online banking usb updating

Post by karlchen »

Hello, peacendcheeze.

Please, note that Puppy Linux 5.7.1 is not affiliated in any way with Linux Mint. Both, Linux Mint 13 and Puppy Linux 5.7.1, are based on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin. Apart from this common base they are unrelated. The Puppy 5.7.1 homepage is here: Long-term Puppy

About the question how to upgrade your Firefox on Puppy (and software in general):

Googling for the question "Puppy Linux how to update software" returned among other hits this one: Puppy Linux - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

In these FAQs, of special interest with respect to the question:
Please tell me how to upgrade/install Opera/SeaMonkey/Firefox/Chrome?
Opera, SeaMonkey, Firefox and Chrome
Which is the method of upgrading/installing software?
Software Installation
Watch out for the "Installing PET software packages" section. Puppy calls its software installation packages PET packages.

About the question on Puppy and security:

Also from the FAQs:
How secure is Puppy?
Security
The upper section of the "Security" page mainly covers protecton from data loss. Further down there are links to pages about protection from intruders, about firewall etc. pp

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
peacendcheeze

Post by peacendcheeze »

hi thank you for your time and reply would i be better to use a linux mint live usb as my banking tool . . . i dont want to install the 'live' system i just want it up to date and secure and to use it for online banking only

thanks
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, peacendcheeze.

No, using the Linux Mint live system for online banking will not be a better choice. Linux Mint publishes new live systems only at large intervals.
The Linux Mint 13 live system has been created way back in May 2012.
The Linux Mint 17 live system has been created in May 2014.
There is no easy way of updating the (read-only) Linux Mint live systems.

In this respect you will be better off with Puppy, because it has been redesigned in such a way as to run from a bootable pendrive (like the Linux Mint live systems), but to be fully updatable like a normal Ubuntu or Linux Mint which has been installed on a harddisk.

As you may like your pendrive based Linux editon which you use for online banking to be particularly hard to break: e.g. here in Germany there is at minimum one such pendrive based Ubuntu based live system with improved security named Bankix published by the Heise Verlag. (Sorry linked webpage is in German) I would not be amazed if similar live systems created with online banking in mind were available in other countries as well.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
peacendcheeze

Post by peacendcheeze »

danke !!!
yes i have seen the German live editions designed purely for online banking using linux in a live enviroment sadly my German is limited as you can see from the above hopefully these live tools will be introduced in the English speaking world sometime soon

in the meantime Puppy is my friend thank you for your time and patience
ktheking

Re: live online banking usb updating (SOLVED)

Post by ktheking »

You could potentially install it in virtual environment (virtualbox/vmware) ,and have proper updates coming in.
peacendcheeze

Post by peacendcheeze »

sorry v ware software is not good for security . ... niether is USB ... nor hard drives ... nor cloud.... best to make your OS imprint as short as u can 'live' enviroment best todate although no doubt that has become 'compromissed' . . .
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

Even though this thread is marked "solved" I thought this might be of interest:

http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/06/02/l ... -security/

Not trying to start a debate here, and I'm still too much of a noob to make an informed judgement about this. :)
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

What is explained in the article is true. A live CD or a live DVD or a default live system on a USB pendrive is not more secure than your installation on the internal harddisk. As is explained the opposite may be true, it is less secure.
This is why I mentioned a special live system, created and hardened for online banking purposes. [1] Here in Germany you can get such a live system from the Heise Verlag: Bankix. I cannot tell whether similar products are available in other countries as well. I cannot guarantee that Bankix is unbreakable. But it will be harder to break than any standard Linux Mint or Ubuntu live system which has been created for the primary purpose of allowing you to try out before installing.
Lifeline

Return to “Chat about Linux”