Software installation is the one and only weakness of Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kholargol

Software installation is the one and only weakness of Linux

Post by Kholargol »

Software installation is the one and only weakness of Linux in my opinion. OMG, I hate it so much for that ! :evil:

Each time I try to install something, it's a fight, no it's a battle. I spend hours on the Net to find informations, how-to's, tutorials (which are never working) and I have to handle bad repositories, old or bad versions/packages, command lines, etc. It's very sad because all the others things (especially with Mint) are so easy and user friendly.

I wish I could just use a store like the Apple or Google one, it would make Mint a perfect OS.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

Don't understand what you are talking about. Except for some drivers or an add rogue program, you can install any program very similar to as if using an appstore. Use software manager and synaptic manager. I find mint is one of the best at it. Comming only second to actual Ubuntu. Opensuses Yast is also preaty good, but not as advanced in gui department as synaptic.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Kholargol

Re: How to install software on Linux Mint

Post by Kholargol »

If you want to install Gimp, I totally agree: it's very easy. And I wish it was the same thing for all apps. But as soon, you want to install a software from elsewhere (each time I want to install something, it's not in the store), here comes trouble !

A different way to say it : Look at this post : It's a big and long tutorial which explain how to install apps on Linux Mint ! Thanks for the author for that but in my opinion, it should not exist (or only contain 2 or 3 lines)

From my entire life, I've never had to search for information about to install an app on Android or Windows (but often, I had to search information once it was installed ! :lol: )

We are in 2014, not 1994 : I believe I should only have to choose and click to install an app.
Jonmo1

Re: Software installation is the one and only weakness of Li

Post by Jonmo1 »

Is this the fault of Linux, or the individual programs?

It's easy to install programs in Windows because the vendors of those programs write them specifically 'for windows'.
They don't write them 'for Linux'.
The functionality of those programs for Linux comes as an 'afterthought'.
Oh, we should probably make it compatible with Linux too...
Kholargol

Post by Kholargol »

I guess the problem is caused by fragmentation of different distros and also because there are no real standards. But, honestly, I don't care about the why, it's just my end-user opinion : things could be easier (and I'm sure they will be in a few years) and I should not have to spend time on the net or use command lines in order to install an app !

I quit windows 8 because I was tired of ergonomic non-senses, spending my time to clean/defrag/set/optimise my PC to make it works correctly and avoid it to get slow and unstable. During my geeky years, it was funny but now that I'm getting old, it's more a source of stress rather than pleasure.

Then I tried Linux Mint 16 and I could finally USE my computer instead of fighting with it. No more ccleaner, defrag, antivirus, anti spyware, drivers update,slowdowns and others BSOD. It's fast and easy, and perfs don't decrease with time. My only frustration was (and still is) when I want to try a new piece of software. It's the big black cloud in the middle of a vivid blue sky !
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

What are these apps you need to install that are not in the Software Center?
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Looks like you are trying to use unpackaged software that needs to be compiled from source to build your own package or installation files and to gather dependencies before being able to install it... Think of what would be your nightmare if you had to compile MS Office from source, for instance. Oh my... there are no open sources for MS Office :lol: Windows msi files are like deb files: these are pre-packaged archives of compiled binaries with automated installation.
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

I have been playing with linux for the last year. I came across only 2 apps that need to be compiled and manually crosscheck dependency etc.
And that was apps that were a dependency themself. A jubber engine and some othe chat engine that was needed for xen gui front end on opensuse. Both of them were not available for opensuse thus the need for compilation. Mint is ubuntu based so you should not really find apps that are not compiled for it. Maybe you need to do morr search for proper distrib. Source.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

It's really very, very hard to buy into your complaints about installing software when you never once in 3 or 4 posts mention by name any of the apps that are giving you problems. No one is able to help you if you are unwilling to provide information. Honestly, your posts sound more like simple rants than requests for help. No one can event attempt to help you under these circumstances.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
colyn

Post by colyn »

If you are trying to install windows based apps, you're spinning your wheels.. But if you want Linux based apps, you're not trying very hard to install since it is easier than installing windows based apps..
Kholargol

Post by Kholargol »

No, I don't speak about installing Windows apps..

The last one apps I tried to install were compiz, ps3 media server (then ums media server). It's only the 2 last examples. I think I could find more if I were in front of my personnal computer but I'm not from now.

Anyway, from several months I'm using Linux on different distros (all ubuntu based) I installed and uninstalled several apps but it was always painful.

Also, I'm not asking for support as I finally managed to install all apps but I disagree when you guys tell me it's easy to install stuffs on Linux. Easy means that my mum could do it ! With all theses repo stuffs that you must add first,then modify after because they don't know your distro, plus the command lines or files to edit, it's just a big mess ! A mess that you're totally get used of because you are veteran users. But still a big mess.
Last edited by Kholargol on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kholargol

Post by Kholargol »

tdockery97 wrote:It's really very, very hard to buy into your complaints about installing software when you never once in 3 or 4 posts mention by name any of the apps that are giving you problems. No one is able to help you if you are unwilling to provide information. Honestly, your posts sound more like simple rants than requests for help. No one can event attempt to help you under these circumstances.
But, it's not a request for help ! Just my opinion after a few months of using mainly Mint. As a new user, it's very strange that the software installation process was so twisted as all the others one are so simple (ie: the update and customization process,)
Kholargol

Post by Kholargol »

My bad, I realize that I posted this as a new thread and it was not my intention, I just wanted to post inside a thread about how to install Software on Linux.

Indeed, a thread titled "Software installation is the one and only weakness of Linux" may seem rather aggressive. :? and I didn't intented to troll or launch a sterile debate, just to express my opinion..
Kholargol

Post by Kholargol »

colyn wrote:If you are trying to install windows based apps, you're spinning your wheels. But if you want Linux based apps, you're not trying very hard to install since it is easier than installing windows based apps..
Once again, it's easier in the one and only case where the apps you'd like to install is available in the store.
colyn

Post by colyn »

Kholargol wrote: Once again, it's easier in the one and only case where the apps you'd like to install is available in the store.
You still haven't said what apps you are referring to. We can't help if you don't tell us that..

You might also try opening synaptic and entering the app you want in the search box. Or you could open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install(nameofapp without quotes)
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Kholargol wrote:Once again, it's easier in the one and only case where the apps you'd like to install is available in the store.
i.e. easier 99% of the time... You took compiz as an example: it is in the repos. If you are fiddling with what is not in the repos you are either not a beginner or looking at the wrong place first.

Edit: IIRC there is a Debian joke about that "If it is not in the repos, either it does not exist or it is useless" :mrgreen:
Last edited by eanfrid on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

That's most certainly not a weakness. When you compile programs from source, you can tweak the compilation options to suit your hardware, system and/or your personal preferences.

Distros like Mint will provide repositories with precompiled packages for easy installation, but that's not everybody's preferred solution. Check out Gentoo to get an idea.
Kholargol

Post by Kholargol »

I took compiz as an exemple because I installed it and it doesn't work and I will probably have to do some search again. An other exemple, I've installed steam 5 minutes ago and I'm not able to launch it ! Nothing happen when I click on the steam icon (even after a reboot).

There are always a problem ! But once installed, it's ok. It's how I see my Ubuntu experience : Trouble before installation but ok after (daily usage). Windows is exactly the contrary !

And I'm complaining but at the end I'm totally happy with it. :D To compare, it's just like when you see a very good movie but with a crappy ending. If all the movie is crappy, you don't care but if' it's good except 1 thing, it's frustrating ! And you are like .. "But WHY ?"
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Can't say I have ever had that problem
  • I find software installation via the Linux distribution repositories very reliable, since in a Debian derived system like Ubuntu or Mint, apt is the package manager with either the distribution's front end or synaptic (which I usually use for app searches: where looking at ALL, I often find some interesting software that I can test )
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Kholargol wrote:My bad, I realize that I posted this as a new thread and it was not my intention, I just wanted to post inside a thread about how to install Software on Linux.
As you can see on your first post here, I moved your post to this new thread as posting your thoughts on the support thread is off-topic. You want to exchange thoughts, you do that in the chat forum. The support forum is for getting & giving help.

Return to “Chat about Linux”