Help finding a distro for netbook please

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Help finding a distro for netbook please

Post by HappyLinux »

I have in front of me a netbook. One of those tiny laptops that use to be popular until until those Ultrathin laptops started comeing out.

This netbook is is excellent condition despite its age. However, I would like to rescue it by putting Linux on it, as you will understand why in a moment.

For starters, the netbook is as follows;
Asus EeePC 901
Currently running WinXP Home Edition SP3
12GB SSD
1GB memory, 128MB used by the Intel GMA graphics on the Mobile Intel 945 Chipset.
BT-253 Bluetooth (Broadcom)
Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Ethernet
Ralink wifi (not sure of which chipset)
1.3mp camera

Because service for WinXP has ended, I'd like to put Linux on it. I don't want to let this sturdy little thing go to waste. Heck, if I can put linux on it, my sister would be more than happy to use it.

I know there are, or were some distros designed specifically for netbooks, but I don't know which one to go for, presuming any of the distros are still running. There was a Ubuntu Netbook Edition, but that's no more, Xandros has shut down. There are a few others, but I'm not sure on names.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Anything would be welcome thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: Help finding a distro for netbook please

Post by seeley »

Hi!
We are on a Mint Forum, thus a recommend Qiana XFCE.
But, because MATE was slow, I've tested Linux Lite and SolydX (both fast).
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Yep, this may be the Linux Mint forum, but this is the section for Linux in general.

I have been trying to put Mint 17 32bit on some other old laptops to some success and some fails. I need a lightweight linux due to the small Harddrive.
seeley

Re: Help finding a distro for n etbook please

Post by seeley »

Overlooked! Now then:
As I mentioned, Linux Lite, SolydX and Puppy and Xubuntu - all installed (on USB flash drives) -, all fast.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

In reference to DrHu's link to Peppermint 3, Peppermint 5 has been released this month, and it is a very nice light-weight distro.
http://peppermintos.com/2014/06/pepperm ... e-is-live/
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

To add to all the fine suggestions already mentioned, PCLinuxos is another lightweight distro that I have played with. http://www.pclinuxos.com/. There's a Mate desktop version along with KDE and LXDE and would work with install from DVD (Mate version fits on a CD) or install from USB drive.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Help finding a distro for n etbook please

Post by HappyLinux »

seeley wrote:Overlooked! Now then:
As I mentioned, Linux Lite, SolydX and Puppy and Xubuntu - all installed (on USB flash drives) -, all fast.
If I caused offence, I do apologise.

I tried putting Lubuntu to USB, but it kept failing miserably. I was using Netbootin to do so.

In reference to the 2 that mentioned Peppermint, I thank you. That's one of those that I couldn't remember the name of, and thus couldn't find again.

Also, just to confirm something. This is a Netbook. There is no CD/DVD drive built into it. To use a CD/DVD drive on it, I would need to either use a USB drive, or somehow, use a drive through the network which I can never get to work. So I'm stuck with installing from a USB flash drive, and that in its own way is problematic. As mentioned, I cannot setup a Distro like Lubuntu to run from USB.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi HappyLinux!
It is not easy, I know, but there is a method that works, it is the "dd" command in the Terminal / as shown in my help (see signature), chapter 19, but sometimes - I do not know why - you must choose
"sdb" instead of "sdb1":

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=linuxmint-10-gnome-dvd-i386.iso of=/dev/sdb
Of course you must change to your download folder and select the distro you want to install on your USB.
And pay attention, if sdb is the right choice!
One of those 2 commands worked in more than a dozen cases!
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

A GPL licensed dd version for Windows is available at http://www.chrysocome.net/dd
Instructions are here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US ... tion_Media
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Will look into doing that seeley.
scryan

Post by scryan »

HappyLinux wrote:Will look into doing that seeley.
careful with dd, it works well but it gives very little warning or info, it will just nuke what ever you tell it to. Make sure you verify what your usb is attached as before just doing of=/dev/sdb.

Also, those specs are not terrible. Not sure what a "netbook" OS is but I'd say try whatever you want, you don't need to worry TOO much about finding something lightweight. If there are particular features you are looking for different DE would be the difference maker, for instance I believe KDE and xfce allow adjusting of edge snapping including size of the zone it takes to trigger it...

IF you don't mind some manual work, I would highly recommend arch. "its super difficult", requires a decent amount of command line work, but its very fast, very customization and their documentation is so amazing I find it easier to use then most distros as any issue I have their wiki has a WELL documented solution. The catch is install is via command line (I usually cheat and setup partitions ahead of time), and the base install does not include any desktop, so you then have to install x-server, network manager, a display manager and your preferred desktop environment. But again if you don't mind a little manual work and follow the wiki's closely you can choose whatever environment works best for you. I have switched the same install from command line only to gnome to mate to cinnamon to xfce to kde back to cinnamon then back to kde with out issues so its great for finding what works best on a particular computer. If you don't mind learning or using command line I find it hard to stay away. I just installed it on a decade old laptop with 512mb ram and is very usable with xfce, mint xfce was not much faster then xp.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

You don't tell us exactly what problem you get trying to install Lubuntu on the machine; you just say it fails miserably. In what way?

Lubuntu will install on a netbook quite easily normally, I have it on mine, and it even comes with a Netbook version of the DE included if you want it though I find the stardard LXDE is great as it is. At boot it uses around 70 - 90 MB ram; pretty impressive, I think.

So tell us more about your USB install problems and I am sure there are ways round it.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

You don't tell us exactly what problem you get trying to install Lubuntu on the machine; you just say it fails miserably. In what way?

Lubuntu will install on a netbook quite easily normally, I have it on mine, and it even comes with a Netbook version of the DE included if you want it though I find the stardard LXDE is great as it is. At boot it uses around 70 - 90 MB ram; pretty impressive, I think.

So tell us more about your USB install problems and I am sure there are ways round it.
Ah, my apologies. It fails because the Lubuntu ISO is being written to the USB flash drive properly. Everything I've tried, renders the flash drive unreadable. My Linux Mint won't even recognise it's plugged into the computer. Windows won't read it until I've deleted all partitions on it, and reformatted it.

FAO scryan.
Netbooks OSes are like the major operating systems, just minimalised to run on a small computer. usually when you get a major operating system, like Windows, it comes chock full of built in drivers and features etc. remove most of them so there's enough drivers to work out the box with a select few models of Netbooks. Remove some features like the Windows Aero Interface. Think of it like halfway between a desktop OS, and Windows on a cellphone.

In addition, I do mind going for a Distro that requires plenty of manual work. Like I said, the Netbook isn't for me, it's for my sister. She'll use Linux, but if she has to use command line, she'll never touch the computer.
BlackVeils

Post by BlackVeils »

-- linux mint xfce, xfce makes it light.
-- peppermint
-- xubuntu
-- linux lite

use the older ubuntu LTS base if necessary (version 12.04).
scryan

Post by scryan »

HappyLinux wrote:

Ah, my apologies. It fails because the Lubuntu ISO is being written to the USB flash drive properly. Everything I've tried, renders the flash drive unreadable. My Linux Mint won't even recognise it's plugged into the computer. Windows won't read it until I've deleted all partitions on it, and reformatted it.

FAO scryan.
Netbooks OSes are like the major operating systems, just minimalised to run on a small computer. usually when you get a major operating system, like Windows, it comes chock full of built in drivers and features etc. remove most of them so there's enough drivers to work out the box with a select few models of Netbooks. Remove some features like the Windows Aero Interface. Think of it like halfway between a desktop OS, and Windows on a cellphone.

In addition, I do mind going for a Distro that requires plenty of manual work. Like I said, the Netbook isn't for me, it's for my sister. She'll use Linux, but if she has to use command line, she'll never touch the computer.
Arch is not the distro for her :mrgreen:

I am semi familiar with the concept of notebook OSs with windows and linux, but I guess the idea I was trying to get across is that I wouldn't limit yourself by just that term. Everyone starts throwing out peppermint, ect when they hear it... given the specs you stated you really do not need to go that minimal and you loose some modern feel and usability by doing so imo. Most of the things you mention about notebook OSs are kind of on the windows side...debloating windows to make it run on more basic machines. If you want bloated linux you kind of have to try :D I think mint should run well on your systems, and after playing with a lot of different distros it is one of the "easiest" distributions for the common user, and she would have the best chance of just being able to use mint.

I personally find installing linux to be very easy, and reasonably quick. If you are more technical then your sister, It would be nice to set it up and use it for a bit and make sure its all going well. I would recommend trying a few different distribution and desktop environments.
If you are willing, and have a linux machine you can very easily make a boot usb with most distrobutions. Find out what drive is your usb (I use the command sudo fdisk -l and look for the usb sticks size/label/format) then just use sudo dd if="iso image" of=/dev/sdX where sdx is the usb drive.
in windows I use http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
It runs slower off a usb drive so I would install and test to see what you can get away with running.
Mint 17 with cinnamon would be my choice, its simple but looks modern and has most options you would want. Mate would be a little faster and XFCE would be even faster still. If all of those have performance issues I would go with mint 13 as its supported for a few more years and can be a little faster still.

If you don't want to or don't feel comfortable re-installing several times I would say just go for xfce and mint 13. There is very little chance this does not run well on those specs. It (xfce, so either on 17 or 13) also has some options to adjust threshold for window snapping and other such options that may help on a smaller screen.

but as is that computer meets or exceeds the system requirements for most versions of linux. Try whatever you want. I would stay away from KDE or gnome shell.
SMarais
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SMarais »

I had the similar problem with quite the same netbook. In the end I chose a Ubuntu system with unity as it seemed the most precise one for it. The problem is the size of the screen and unity seemed to take the screen size in consideration for every window it was opening.
I have LM Running on all these computers
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Sorry I'm late replying, I've been rather busy with things and haven't had the chance to work more on the netbook situation.

I agree with SMarais, due to the small screen of the Netbook, the interface would need to handle it.

There is one other thing. I may need to buy a USB DVD drive. The Netbook has a finicky problem. For some reason it doesn't always try and boot from USB. When it does the POST check and goes through the boot process, it says the boot sequencer isn't work, and then continues to boot from hard drive. I don't know if it's just picky about booting from a USB flash device, and simply prefers USB DVD. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
SMarais
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SMarais »

An other distro that works insanely great and this kind of small notebook is crunchbang. Extremely smooth and fluid on an Asus EEE PC 4g.
Even if I have deactivated the hard drive and installed a 64go USB stick instead and I've upgraded the ram from 512mo to 2go.
I have LM Running on all these computers
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re:

Post by HappyLinux »

SMarais wrote:An other distro that works insanely great and this kind of small notebook is crunchbang. Extremely smooth and fluid on an Asus EEE PC 4g.
Even if I have deactivated the hard drive and installed a 64go USB stick instead and I've upgraded the ram from 512mo to 2go.
Cheers, but upon looking up the distro, it looks to be unusable for my sister. even if it would run on the netbook, visually, it's unusable. my sister would need the likes of a menu button like on KDE, MATE etc. not clicking anywhere on the desktop.

Return to “Chat about Linux”