Linux = more maintenance time?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arpee78

Linux = more maintenance time?

Post by Arpee78 »

I work for a small business, we have to replace our old WinXP computers. There are some computers which doesnt run Win only programs, just emails, word, excel, etc. I suggested the Linux, but our sysadmin surprised me. He doenst want to mess with it.

Linux Mint and generally Linux really need more maintenance time? Really has more problems and difficulties? Compared to Windows 7 and 8.1
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux = more maintenance time?

Post by xenopeek »

If your sysadmin only has experience with Windows, then it makes sense he doesn't want other operating systems. It will mean extra work for him (training and/or learning on the job). If there is nobody in your company that can serve as a "key user" for those users that will have to learn to use Linux, he is probably right to expect they will all be coming to him.

Introducing Linux into a company takes more than just installing Linux. As for maintenance time, IDK. I highly doubt a Windows sysadmin will be efficient (at first) in maintaining Linux computers, just as a Linux sysadmin won't be efficient (at first) in maintaining Windows computers (just think of all the stuff you don't have on Windows).
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Xenopeek is absolutely right, it may be an experience / training issue from your sysadmin's point of view. And from the sysadmin perspective he is absolutely right too.

But Linux is a much lower maintenance OS than any version of Windows imho. Updating a Linux system is done with one click for the most part. With Windows you can only update the OS (if you're lucky and 8.1 updates don't fail). Every third party piece of software (i.e. anti-virus, Adobe Reader, Winzip, etc, etc, etc) requires updates separately with manual intervention. Plus on Windows every time you sneeze you have to reboot the system and not so with Linux. Plus Windows updates take forever. Just go buy a new computer and see. It'll take hours to get the initial updates unless things have changed drastically since I switched to Linux a year ago.

There's also no real need for file system cleanup on Linux, or not to the degree that you need do it on Windows. No defrag necessary EVER as Linux doesn't fragment stuff like Windows does. You can argue either way I guess. But I'm guessing an experienced Linux sys admin has a much easier life than a Windows guy does.
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

Yes. Bear in mind any Windows software updates, bug fixes and at least some software are covered in your licence. With Linux your admin would need to handle that himself. Speaking from experience working in IT for a major company, it is not quite a 'one click' as open source software has very different procedures. There are also legal issues involved.

At home, most likely yes, once you have everything up and running on your desktop there is little maintenance to follow. As a business system though, that's a very different story.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

niowluka wrote:There are also legal issues involved.
Wot?
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

xenopeek wrote:
niowluka wrote:There are also legal issues involved.
Wot?
Well, to put simply, a company cannot simply download a software from a website and install it on 100s or 1000s of computers, without confirming no ownership, licence, copyright etc etc rights are not violated.

This is not my area frankly, but I do know this is part of the process to confirm suitability of any software.
Arpee78

Post by Arpee78 »

Our sysadmin surely have a little Linux experince, because they install Linux on our server. Zentyal, as I know it is a Ubuntu based server OS. However it is very simple and user friendly, so isnt need much Linux knowledge.

I installed Linux Mint for my parents and brothers. In my experience Linux hasnt much more problems than Windows. And need less maintenance, as someone wrote. Therefore I surprised at the administrator's words.

Thx the answers, I read with interest.

We have a dozen computer and there are 3 which dont need Windows.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

niowluka wrote:Well, to put simply, a company cannot simply download a software from a website and install it on 100s or 1000s of computers, without confirming no ownership, licence, copyright etc etc rights are not violated.

This is not my area frankly, but I do know this is part of the process to confirm suitability of any software.
Still don't get "legal issues". LOOK at the website for that distro and see what the licensing requirements are. Reading is a required skill for most sysadmins. You need to check this out whether it's commercial or open source software so no difference.
niowluka wrote:Yes. Bear in mind any Windows software updates, bug fixes and at least some software are covered in your licence. With Linux your admin would need to handle that himself.
EDIT: The team involved in the process for software approval most likely knows how to read as well. Or maybe not if they're all lawyers. :cry:
Last edited by gtsfer on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

It's actually more complicated than that.

An example would be Samba. Apple wrote their own because of "licensing issues" with Samba.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

gtsfer wrote: Still don't get "legal issues". LOOK at the website for that distro and see what the licensing requirements are. Reading is a required skill for most sysadmins.
Well, I was talking about a company who would not risk their revenue and reputation on hoping one of their sysadmins is also a legal expert who, come to worst, will defend the company in court. In some places, especially when stakes are high, software is approved via a process, and is not a decision of one man.

EDIT: quote fail
Last edited by niowluka on Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That's why 1000+ people companies would use Red Hat.
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

xenopeek wrote:That's why 1000+ people companies would use Red Hat.
Believe me, it would still involve a fairly large and well salaried legal team...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, I know I've had to clear stuff with them in the past :) But regardless of what operating system is used, companies will audit the software being used. That's no different between Windows and Linux. If users have local admin rights and can install software themselves, I think we all know what happens ("free for personal usage" and "trial" software gets abused). But again, that's right now the case on Windows and wouldn't be any different on Linux.
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

xenopeek wrote:Yes, I know I've had to clear stuff with them in the past :) But regardless of what operating system is used, companies will audit the software being used. That's no different between Windows and Linux. If users have local admin rights and can install software themselves, I think we all know what happens ("free for personal usage" and "trial" software gets abused). But again, that's right now the case on Windows and wouldn't be any different on Linux.
In principle yes, it will be the same.

To bring it back ot a little, here the company already has a licence with 'the ones we don't speak of', which most likely be a major point in deciding whether to switch to *nix. Anyway, as I said, legalities are not my area, just making a point it is a part of decision making process, not just subjective opinion or pure IT considerations.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

niowluka wrote:
xenopeek wrote:That's why 1000+ people companies would use Red Hat.
Believe me, it would still involve a fairly large and well salaried legal team...

The GPL is written in plain and simple language.
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Interesting discussion here. Leaving the legal issues aside:
  • From the situation described in the OP there may be a considerable learning curve for sysadmins who are not yet familiar with Linux
  • ... but once you are through that, I feel confident that you will have fewer day-to-day maintenance tasks that you would with any WIndows system.
Go for a LTS release of Mint and it might take you a while to get it exactly how you want it and to formalise your updating/maintenance procedures - but once it is running as you want, I think you will find it will work and work and work for you.
js3915

Post by js3915 »

Arpee78 wrote:I work for a small business, we have to replace our old WinXP computers. There are some computers which doesnt run Win only programs, just emails, word, excel, etc. I suggested the Linux, but our sysadmin surprised me. He doenst want to mess with it.

Linux Mint and generally Linux really need more maintenance time? Really has more problems and difficulties? Compared to Windows 7 and 8.1
Depends whats considered "maintenance time." Sounds of it, sounds like more or less people coming with issues on how todo this and that... Typically something worth thinking of is making this a longer term project IE switch them to using firefox browser thunderbird email((or evolution if you need exchange support))libre office etc on the windows desktop. After which they get comfortable you can virtually switch them to a linux distro something like KDE or cinnamon, they might not even notice its NOT windows plus there are themes you can apply to even look closer to windows ;-) And they're already used to firefox libre office thunderbird and wont know its linux underneath

As far as actual maintaince is just the same as windows have to apply updates just a few different step to get to the update window

Return to “Chat about Linux”