Loving Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chroma601

Loving Linux

Post by chroma601 »

Somewhere during Mint 15 I installed Linux on my old laptop. As a noob, I had a lot of problems getting startedm but people here and in other distro forums were very helpful. (I dallied with a few other distros starting out, but I'm with Mint 17 MATE for the forseeable future. I ;ove working with linux, and today I need to pat myself on the back for getting VMware up and running on my own. I had an old XP disk I used for a OS. It's no speed demon, but it's working. 99% of what I need to do I can do in Mint, just mice to have XP around for the occasional program I have that won't run under wine. Heck, I barely function under wine.

So thanks to everyone who helped out noobs along the way. Some of us managed to figure out more and more as we went on. I'm still nowhere near an expert, but I sure am comfortable. Hope to make some converts out there in Widozeland along the way.

Peace!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Loving Linux

Post by Pierre »

good to hear that you abandoned the World of Windows :)
- don't forget to read the Mint Manual, that came with your install. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

If you have 4GB of RAM, you can easily toss 2 GB to the virtual system and that XP will run as well as it ever did outside the box.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mdavies5 »

I started with Linux 3 years ago and kept Windows 7, mainly for the Epson software that was excellent for printing photos and CD's. Slowly I found all the software I needed and removed Windows a few months ago. The only thing I cannot do on Linux is lodge a tax return electronically (in Aussie) but my wife's old laptop with W7 solves that problem.
Cheers, Mike

Return to “Chat about Linux”