Thinking about moving to another distro

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Raident

Thinking about moving to another distro

Post by Raident »

I'm in the process of creating a new master template VM for Mint 17 and replacing all of my existing Mint 13 VMs, but the process has not been as smooth as it was when I was setting up the master template for Mint 13. This is leading me to think that perhaps the direction that Mint is heading towards is not a direction which best suits my needs, so I should at least consider all the options and see if Mint is still the best match for what I want to do with it.

From a functional perspective, I'm looking for a distro that works well with VDI scenarios. The 2 programs that I use most are Firefox and Terminal, along with occasional use of LibreOffice and Evince.

The non-functional requirements are where things get dicey. At a fundamental level, it has to work well with VMware Workstation, Fusion, and ESXi (I've also tried Hyper-V and VirtualBox as well as multiple variants of Xen and KVM - VMware is far from ideal, but it's still the lesser of all the evils). Unfortunately, since VMware treats desktop Linux as a second-class citizen, choices are limited to the most popular distros (or ones which are very closely related to the most popular distros, like Mint) that support VMware's virtual hardware (audio doesn't seem to work in Mint 17, even though it was fine in Mint 13) and Gnome or KDE (other desktop environments have numerous issues, even Ubuntu Unity and MATE don't work properly). Additionally, I'd like something with an LTS release system so I don't have to remake my master template every couple of months. Finally, while a rolling release would theoretically be perfect, in practice none of them are supported and the ones I've tried (LMDE and Arch) haven't worked out very well.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
/dev/urandom

Re: Thinking about moving to another distro

Post by /dev/urandom »

Does it need to be Linux?

Return to “Chat about Linux”