Linux Deepin a new Linux Mint serious challenger

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Today I have downloaded Linux Deepin and put it on a USA for a spin. Final thought is as follows: Linux Deepin is and extremely fast and elegant distro and it has its own applications and unique look and feel and it blends modernity and practicality in the most intuitive way and if Linux Mint doesn't pay attention, this distro might steal the crown from it in the long run, but not yet because it still lacks many features that Cinnamon has but it is under aggressive development. I really love their application laucher on Cinnamon it is very fast, modern and practical. I tried slingscold but it doesn't work on Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon :cry: Any one tried this distro before? :D :D

Image Image
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
highwind

Post by highwind »

Yes it was pretty cool, but I will try it again until they rewrite the window frame manager for virtual machine.

Sent from Tapatal
macvaliant60

Re: Linux Deepin a new Linux Mint serious challenger

Post by macvaliant60 »

I've tried the Alpha and Beta but haven't tried the RC yet. The theming and colours used on the Alpha and Beta were very inconsistent and most noticeable when you open a program that Deepin have designed themselves.

There was also a lot of left over Chinese language for it to be acceptable to english speaking users and the english language packs were not totally doing the job. I don't know whether that has changed but if not it has to be to be widely accepted outside of its core market. The software center and terminal are both very good and I've played with them within Mint. The english speaking sub sections of their forum is very limited in users so far so that's also a handicap to problem solving and a catch 22 to the uptake of it. I don't think the Devs of Mint have too much to worry about anytime soon, but Deepin has been doing some new and interesting things which I'm sure most in the Linux world are watching.

Slingscold has been unreliable on every distro I've encountered it on although I like it, when it works.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I don't think Mint has anything to worry about when it comes to Deepin. Deepin is a chinese made distro. The chinese government approves of cyber warfare and theft and since I'm not a power user and I can't comprehend computer code, I would never trust any distro that is chinese or north korean made by their respective governments or made by their own citizens.

In other words, I would never put any important information, either personal or financial when using a chinese distro. Call me paranoid, but "peace of mind" is a big selling point with me and Deepin wouldn't make me feel "secure" if I were to using it since I would always be worried what the distro is doing (calling home) behind my back.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

I don't think Mint has anything to worry about when it comes to Deepin. Deepin is a chinese made distro. The chinese government approves of cyber warfare and theft and since I'm not a power user and I can't comprehend computer code, I would never trust any distro that is chinese or north korean made by their respective governments or made by their own citizens.
FUD much?
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

Even though you can see everything because it's GPL, most people like me are not geeks and cannot understand internal stuffs.
I agree with Night Wing - I avoid distros from hostile "dictator-like" countries.

Sheng-Chieh
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Reminding everyone to stay on-topic. This is not the place to discuss political views.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Just installed the final stable version of Deepin 2014. I distro hop a lot, and like to see what is new. Most of the new distros seem to be a re-hash of older Desktop Environments. This Deepin is different. Its got a whole new desktop of its own, seems to be based on Gnome with compiz for effects. Very, very nice layout and look. Seems to be very well thought out and very functional. Easy to use once you get used to all its new features.
No panel as such, after initial shock... :P I find that none is needed as all is in quick reach.
The dock does most all.
A 'Launcher' (type menu) pops up from upper right hot corner (a 'favorites is include, which I feel is a must). Only thing I miss is a search box. It really needs one, unless I am missing something.

All settings (system controls) pop up from lower left hot corner, and they are sweet (Other distros should take note of this.).

All four corners are 'hot' and can be easily configured. (I have bottom left to 'scale') was 'show desktop' by default.

Anyone who has used 'Deepin Software Center" knows how comprehensive it is. All installations, removals, upgrades can be done there.

Bottom line, its neat, clean, modern, and quite functional, and very well integrated. This distro is very well thought out. If this is the future of Linux, then the future looks bright... :wink:

http://www.linuxdeepin.com/forum/8/23003
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Thank you GeneC for this quick review I can't wait to get my hands onthe final release :D :D It looks amazing :D
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Hi Zorba... :)

It reminds me a bit of "Elementary OS "Isis" but on steroids... :wink: and with a lot more user configurability. This is what Gnome "should be"... The new gnome gtk3 app (theming) finally looks and works efficiently, and with stylish looks. Takes a bit to get used to the new type menu bars, but I find them quite nice to use.
octathlon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by octathlon »

That looks really nice, thanks for the overview. I like many of the concepts in their desktop.

The only thing is, even though I use Cinnamon which also has hot corners, I always wind up just turning them off because I am always accidentally triggering them, which drives me crazy. What I need is the ability to set a delay time for how long the mouse cursor has to be in the corner before triggering it. Does Deepin have that? Or, does Deepin have alternate ways of opening the menu and settings without hot corners?
Full-time Linux user since 2007, Mint since 2014
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Hi...

Havent gotten deep enough into 'Deepin' it yet to find that answer. (Its time for FIFA!)... :D

But in Cinnamon just open "Hot Corners" in system settings, and UN-tick "hover enabled. Then you have to physically click on icon to trigger actions. Will NOT trigger by 'poking'... :wink:
octathlon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by octathlon »

GeneC wrote:But in Cinnamon just open "Hot Corners" in system settings, and UN-tick "hover enabled. Then you have to physically click on icon to trigger actions. Will NOT trigger by 'poking'... :wink:
Well, there are no instructions on hot corners that I can find, but from what I can tell, for that method to work you have to make the icon visible. Then, you can't just throw the cursor all the way into the corner and click, you have to look and find the icon which is a little ways in from the corner, so that's no easier than having the expo applet (for example) on the panel and clicking that.
Full-time Linux user since 2007, Mint since 2014
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:Reminding everyone to stay on-topic. This is not the place to discuss political views.
Commenting on the "community" that makes a distro is on topic. If the NSA released a distro I think that would be worth discussing as well.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

oooh guys I tried the latest release and It nearly breaked my lappy besisdes it is very sluggist :( :( The last version of Deepin was great this one sucks :roll: :roll:
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

oooh guys I tried the latest release and It nearly bricked my lappy (refused to boots ) besisdes it is very sluggist :( :( The last version of Deepin was great this one sucks :roll: :roll: Any ideas why? My lappy is a DEll Inspiron i3 :roll:
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

^^ I found issues if I installed from thumb drive (Unetbootin). I had to burn .iso on DVD. No way to tell if this is your issue?

After running for a day it does have a few issues. Dock does NOT load on boot (or I should say it does load, but is not visible). I see from their forum that others had this issue. Logging out/in makes it visible, but hardly a solution. The dock issue was with default nouveau drivers. I installed Nvidia and it made things worse. Only blank desktop with only wallpaper. Nothing would launch (also a know issue with Nvidia according to what I have read), had to force quit.

I do find it fast and responsive otherwise. Its a real nice concept and will keep experimenting with it (Just tried to install it on Mint 17 Cinnamon) , but after adding Deepin sources, and trying to install Deepin desktop it would remove all of Cinnamon.. I believe it may install OK on top of Mint 17 xfce..

Not ready for prime time for me, anyway... :cry: I will try it again when it gets more mature..
Its really a quite elegant and functional desktop otherwise..

EDIT:

Oh, and suspend mode causes a system freeze forcing a hard reboot... :?
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

GeneC wrote:^^ I found issues if I installed from thumb drive (Unetbootin).

That's exactly what happened to me when trying to install it with unetbootin :wink:
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

It's certainly lovely and it's working very smoothly. Can anyone help me with stopping the screen from blanking? I don't see screensaver settings anywhere. Thanks.
MasonF

Post by MasonF »

Adelante --

Your post was quite awhile ago, but just in case you haven't found the answer yet --

There is no screensaver in Deepin. The screen setting is under power management in the Control Center.

Open the Control Center. Click on Power Management. Choose Custom. You'll have the option of turning off the display after 1, 5, 10, 15, 30, and 60 minutes. Or Never. You can also set Suspend in the same place.

I'm doing this from memory, so I hope I've gotten all the steps. It's generally very easy to move around in the Control Center, so this should be enough for you to fill in the rest (if my directions are incomplete).

Return to “Chat about Linux”