Linux Deepin a new Linux Mint serious challenger

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Deepin a new Linux Mint serious challenger

Post by nathanjh13 »

I'm thinking of trying Deepin as a dual boot. To repartition my SSD for Deepin I'd have to boot to a live cd, change the size of the existing partition and create a new one, say 15Gb for Deepin, what's the mount point of the Deepin partition, still /

Thanks
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Thank you, MasonF.
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 014 »

octathlon wrote:...Or, does Deepin have alternate ways of opening the menu and settings without hot corners?
Yes, the dock has a shortcut to Settings by default. That shortcut opens up the right-side panel.
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 014 »

GeneC wrote:A 'Launcher' (type menu) pops up from upper right hot corner (a 'favorites is include, which I feel is a must). Only thing I miss is a search box. It really needs one, unless I am missing something.
You just start typing, right? ie. your screenshot looks like "deepin" was typed.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I haven't tried it out of the box, but Deeping looks very nice from the screenies. Of course, there's no reason you can't configure Mint to look just as nice. Really think Mint needs to reconsider it's default look but you only meet resistance when suggesting it in the idea exchange. I think it would help attract even more users.
If the NSA released a distro I think that would be worth discussing as well.
They do, it's called Windows. They worked on the code but refuse to say what part.
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

Is the Deepin image a "live" one or just an install? I booted into it and it was asking what language to use for installing. confused?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it should be both.

did click on an icon, before it asked for the language setting?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

Pierre wrote:it should be both.

did click on an icon, before it asked for the language setting?.
Nope. It just came up at the screen asking what language to use for the "install". I got the hell outa there quick cause I don't like surprises. :) Due to the slow download speed I experienced trying to use the main download URL, I had to download from the James Madison U. mirror. Maybe they're providing the incorrect image. Part of what I found unnerving was a comment from (I believe) 2014 that someone had left -- apparently on Deepin's site -- where a dev was explaining how they had to remove the "live" functionality of their download image because it was causing problems for users and they wanted to ensure that the install would be smooth. I wish that they were more clear on their website that these are live images or not... Clearly, if you and others are able to download a live image then the Deepin devs either must've reverted the above mentioned change or it was never actually made at all, or James Madison U. is just providing the wrong image. In any event, beware. :(

Return to “Chat about Linux”