Recommend Distro and GE for an old computer

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
konjad

Recommend Distro and GE for an old computer

Post by konjad »

I have an old laptop which specs are following:
CPU: Pentium 2 300MHz
GPU: NeoMagic 1 MB
RAM: 192 MB
HDD: 80 GB

What would be the best distribution and graphic environment for it? I tried LM10 LXDE, it worked, but was a bit sloppy probably due to GPU's limitations.

Moreover, is there a way to boot installation from a FHD? I have DVD-RW connectable to USB or pendrives, but this PC doesn't boot from USB, therefore booting from FHD would be much more convenient than having to put the HDD in another computer to install the OS and then put it back in the laptop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
js3915

Re: Recommend Distro and GE for an old computer

Post by js3915 »

Tough specs to work with.. Honestly you would need something like puppy linux perhaps its a really light weight distro. Maybe mint xfce would work or put xfce and add a lightweight DM such as eligthenment or openbox...
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

1. KolibriOS

http://kolibrios.org/en/

Size: KolibriOS is very small - The kernel and most of the programs fit on a 1.44MB floppy disk!
http://wiki.kolibrios.org/index.php?tit ... setlang=en

2. SliTaz

3. Puppy
konjad

Post by konjad »

Thanks, Wayne. One more question: Will these distributions be able to run WiFi card via Express Card 54 or at least USB? And can they support modern web browsers? I would like to surf the internet on this laptop, I don't expect anything more from it.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I would install Arch and LXDE :)
js3915

Post by js3915 »

killer de bug wrote:I would install Arch and LXDE :)
Didnt know if arch would work for a pII processor. But that would be pretty lightweight too if it does work. It installs only essentials not extra fluff.

Can easily get an Arch running a LXDE under 100MB ram useage
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

I have a PII and a PI retrofitted years ago with a K6-III+ CPU. I use the systems for testing. I use Slackware on them.

A long time ago I configured the PII as a guest system solely for web browsing. Although still configured that way, I gave up on supporting the idea. I created a single user account for guests and I used IceWM for the desktop.

Regardless of the desktop or window manager you use, these older machines can't handle current-day expectations. Streaming videos is a test in patience.

Web browsing can be painfully slow on such hardware. Too many bottlenecks. With this kind of older hardware, consider disabling JavaScript, all plugins, don't use Flash, and possibly even disable displaying images. One way or another you will find web surfing to be a challenge with this kind of hardware.

Most of these older systems are limited in the amount of RAM that can be added. My PI is maxed out at 256 MB and the PII has 448 MB although I can push that only to 768 MB.

The FSB on these older systems will be no more than 100 MHz --- slow. Hard drives will be IDE and a person is lucky if the hard drive can be used at max speed. My systems clamp the hard drive to slower speeds.

NICs will be 10/100 Mb at the best but don't be surprised if you find a 1Mb or 10 Mb card. A 10/100 Mb card handle the ISP connection, but if you want to network with local 1Gb systems then those faster systems can connect with the older systems only at the slower 10/100 speeds.

These PI/PII systems were manufactured before the www explosion and just don't have the hardware for that kind of usage.

As you have noted, these older systems do not come equipped with DVD readers, which renders modern Linux installations a challenge. These older systems do not support booting from USB and most do not support an alternate BIOS boot menu that allows such booting. One installation method I use is removing the hard drive from the older system, temporarily installing into a system with a DVD drive, install, manually edit the fstab, and then returning to the older system. Another option is DVD readers are inexpensive. Find a used one for $5. Or install a distro that still supports CDs.

I share this not to discourage but only to hopefully set the tone for realistic expectations. I still tinker with the older systems, but I never use them for daily production. :)
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

konjad wrote:What would be the best distribution and graphic environment for it?
If it has to be "Linux-only", I'd still recommend not to use a full-blown "DE" (not even LXDE). You might want to try Crunchbang Linux. :)
Fixer1234

Post by Fixer1234 »

Puppy Precise will run in that and it handled all of my driver requirements, which many "full-sized" distros did not-- WiFi, hi-res video, local and networked printers. Pretty impressive for a micro-distro. Its browsers are barebones and old, so some multi-media stuff on the web won't work. Bodhi Linux will probably run in that and give you a nice graphical desktop (Enlightenment).
konjad

Post by konjad »

After checking out a few distros I went with AntiX, as it's fast and supports wifi, sound and everything without any additional hassle.
Fixer1234

Post by Fixer1234 »

Thanks for the information. I hadn't heard of AntiX before and it looks interesting. I'll have to check it out.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

just installed Antix on a usb stick .had to load my wifi drivers but everything else seems to work fine.

Return to “Chat about Linux”