[Chat] Still keep a Windows? Speak out your reason

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Voltron
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Chat] Still keep a Windows? Speak out your reason

Post by Voltron »

Hello, bawldiggle:

A few minutes ago, I just saw a post that listed a site that is new to me. Fortunately, I have already found that it will come in handy. You may wish to look at it, too. Regarding your wishes for alternative software:

--Alternative to QuickBooks Pro: http://alternativeto.net/software/quick ... form=linux

--Alternative to AutoCAD: http://alternativeto.net/software/autoc ... form=linux

Good luck!
Exodus_life
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Exodus_life »

i just got back to linux,i have vista in dual boot mode and only ,i mean only until i learn enough about linux that i no longer need windows
After seeing what 8.1 looks like,i decied it was finally\atually time to make the jump

i stay away from everything apple ,so i don't really need window as it is
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

My TomTom navigation device.... I can only update it with a Windows application. It's the only thing I still use Windows for (has been the case for years).

No problem to me: after all, that's what dual boot was designed for. I've already paid (unvoluntarily) for a Windows license when buying my laptop, so it had better be of at least *some* use to me. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
xieu90

Post by xieu90 »

I keep win 8 cause it was shipped together with my laptop and only for gaming, and if future work require windows then i have window. Otherwise I would kick it out of my laptop 20 GB for OS, 20 GB for backup sth (dont even know what is inside that partition)
If I could i would rather have XP installed on it. Just searching for drivers installing them, search for programms installing them.
Thx I dont have time for that
and I dont even bother upgrade 8 to 8.1 then to 10. Waste of time and I'm sure I will still be disappointed with what i will get.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I keep Windows 7 on two of my dual boot (two separate hard drives) desktop tower computers because I like Windows 7. Simple as that. I tried Windows 8 for three weeks and I hated it. This is what drove me to try some linux distros and I finally settled on Mint 14.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
mbott

Post by mbott »

I keep windows 8 for my tax season only. Have a spare drive that I switch to for about 4 weeks. I will boot it up several time during the year to allow it to update. The rest of the time. it's linux.

--
Mike
nuagedeboucane
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nuagedeboucane »

My Canon Multipass F60 multifunction printer isn't even detected by Mint. I have tried to use it in virtualbox, but with no success. The only way to be able to scan a document is to boot from my XP.

So I accumulate my scanning jobs, and when I have a good stack, I boot XP, wait.... wait.....and.....wait, and then do my scanning, and quickly reboot to Mint.

One day, I will get a new linux supported multifunction printer !
To repair something, you must break it before ;-)
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

My new computer came with W7 installed. I'm keeping it in a dual-boot configuration because I need Windows once a year to install my income tax software to figure my taxes and e-file. No Linux equivalent that I'm aware of, the tax s/w doesn't work well, or at all with Wine, and I don't want to use an on-line program and put all my data on the cloud. I'll probably boot W7 once every month or two so I don't get too far behind on updates.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
astaria

Post by astaria »

Don't keep a windows, but I think I would have liked it if I had somehow kept copied my installation on a CD or something so I could have put it on virtualbox...
Because there are things that don't work - only a few but still:
My old iPod shuffle just doesn't seem to sync
And my father's scanner doesn't work with my computer - no biggie - but yeah...
Jrassek

Post by Jrassek »

Gaming thats all :D
pdhunter1987

Post by pdhunter1987 »

I only use windows when its hot.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

I still have a Windows 7 (dual boot) in my desktop at home and in one laptop, for three reasons:

1 - some Government sites doesn't works in Linux
2 - some programs / games (like the Samsung Kies, to interact with my phone)
3 - share the PC with family members that don't use Linux (especially the wife, who need some architecture programs like autocad for her work)
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

I have two reasons for Windows:

(1) My employer-issued laptop has Windows, and altering that would be seriously frowned upon by those who sign my paychecks.
(2) I keep an instance of XP on dual-boot strictly for running Cakewalk Sonar 5, which I paid good money for and runs horribly in Wine.

I have OS X on iMac for my iTunes needs; iTunes runs better on a Mac than it ever did in Windows.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I have Windows 3 in VirtualBox. I'm going to try to install it in DosBox, too.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Fred Barclay wrote:I have Windows 3 in VirtualBox. I'm going to try to install it in DosBox, too.
You will succeed don't worry. I already have one working. ;)
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Thanks.
I've got the floppies (well, .img files, actually) but I'm having trouble actually installing anything. I'm more familiar with the Linux terminal than DOS; although I've noticed certain commands, i.e. "cd", to be the same.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

RacerBG (or anyone else): I've actually got a problem installing 3.1. Would you be kind enough to take a look here and help if at all possible?
Thanks!

UPDATE: Done! :)
Last edited by Fred Barclay on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Albert Einstein
Dilitirio

Post by Dilitirio »

I mentioned that gaming keeps me tied to windows... It's not many games, just a few, and recently I've had very good luck getting them to run well under wine. So well, in fact, that... Well, goodbye Windows. I'm now officially Windows free.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Fred Barclay wrote:RacerBG (or anyone else): I've actually got a problem installing 3.1. Would you be kind enough to take a look here and help if at all possible?
Thanks!
Check my reply there. :)
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

RacerBG wrote: Check my reply there. :)
Thanks. I've done it. :)
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Chat about Linux”