[Chat] Still keep a Windows? Speak out your reason

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SMarais
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SMarais »

Yes I keep one for games. Only for games. All the rest I do it with mint
I have LM Running on all these computers
PatH57

Re: [Chat] Still keep a Windows? Speak out your reason

Post by PatH57 »

Mint 17 as main on 2 laptops.
Kali linux on a usb drive
Hirenboot usb
Partedmagic USB
Clonezilla
Spare HD with Win8.1
Piratelinux for testing.And a lot of virtualboxes (debian,ubuntu,red hat, router os...)
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

I realized about a week ago that I just no longer used the Windows part of my dual-boot computers. It's not an "anti Microsoft" thing. I just didn't use MS anymore. So when I bought a new laptop a week or so ago I was going to set up the dual-boot with Windows like I always do.

But then I asked myself why would I continue to keep Windows when I don't use it anymore? So I didn't.

Regarding the Garmen updates on Windows, I too have a Garmen (haven't updated it in ages but I have it). If I wanted to update it, I'd just do that on my computer at work, or on one of my kids computers. I couldn't justify keeping Windows for 1 program that I might use someday. In my situation I figure that's crazy.

This Mint 17 Cinnamon is the best Linux distro I've used in the past 15+ years of using Linux. Yes, there is some setup issues to tailor the setup to be exactly what I want. But it's not that big of a deal. I have to do some of that with Windows too. I love how I can set up Mint to be exactly what I want - and when I finish, it's a tailored system that is perfect for me. I can't do that with Windows.

It took me awhile to get used to the Linux software application counterparts to my old Windows programs. But once I invested the time to learn the new programs, I actually find that I prefer them to the Windows-based offerings. And I love the fact that I can upgrade these Linux applications for free, rather than have to pay out the money for the Windows programs that used to use.

The bottom-line for me is that I enjoy Mint 17 a lot more than I do Windows.
Last edited by Barbados99 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

I only keep windows around for my college classes.. I don't mean because I need it for software, (I do all of my classes on Linux) but because I need to stay familiar with windows... Yea, that is the worst part about going into the IT field.. you have to learn and deal with windows! :( :evil: :twisted:

If I didn't need it for that purpose I would be M$ free!
chemab

Post by chemab »

Using windows xp - still.

Runs chemistry apps that I need. Neither linux nor windows 7/8 are good at that
wanderer7

Post by wanderer7 »

At work I use dual booting. I spend most of my time in GNU/Linux, but if I need a printer (this happens rarely) or if using ms office is absolutely required, I switch to windows and then get back to GNU/Linux ASAP. :mrgreen:

At home - I have only GNU/Linux. In fact, I've never tried to dual boot on my home PC. When I discovered Mint, I deleted windows at once.
OrangeShark

Post by OrangeShark »

I currently dual boot Windows 7 and Linux Mint. The only reason for keeping Windows is for some games and maybe for any software which is exclusive to Windows. I very happy to see a lot more games coming to Linux though. :D
Fixer1234

Post by Fixer1234 »

Prefer not to open Windows unless needed. There are a couple of programs, like Photoshop, where it is just a lot faster than the Linux replacement due to familiarity. Two things not available in Linux: Sketchup and coupon printers, and I haven't found a working replacement for Free Video Cutter. When I do have to go back to Windows, there are huge backlists of updates waiting.
ekim

Post by ekim »

I have to stay with windows for online bank statements, etc. that only seem to like IE. I also have to stay because my Canon MG5400 doesnt seem to have linux printers and even a "fix" I found online doesnt seem to work. There is always something!!!
apemanx

Post by apemanx »

I've got 2 Games on Windows... and nothing else:

Guild Wars 2 and Company of Heroes 2... Hate to go Windows every time I need to play...
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 »

Revit. Two machines dual booted with Win 7 thanks to Autodesk not budging one bit. I hate booting into that partition, slows me down, dull, insipid even.
Last edited by nathanjh13 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apemanx

Post by apemanx »

BTW:

I did get my Guild Wars 2 working very well, Very stable and excellently on LM 17. Custom launchers for Teamspeak and GW2. Run in wondowed mode on a 23" gives awesome gameplay.
Miekuxi

Post by Miekuxi »

I used to think MS Word is that important; if abiword is better, I may switch as well.
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 »

Abiword should be more than enough for most users certainly although I'm using Writer and sometimes Trelby. I much prefer Gnumeric over Calc though. in fact I wish they'd just replace Calc with Gnumeric and have done with it.
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

I keep a windows computer mostly for my graphics art. However, I could do it all on linux. In fact, I'm doing the migration from my laptop to my desktop right now. :D However, my laptop would still need windows on it for some games. That, and I do enjoy having both worlds. It lets me learn more, use the right OS for what I need, and such. I think that my laptop will have Windows on it for now. With that said, I am currently on a desktop running LM17 XFCE as the only OS. 8) So, if its not obvious, I like the best of both worlds. Each OS has their strengths and weaknesses, and I like to use each OS to their fullest. I look forward to reading more reasons as to why you guys keep Windows around. :)

EDIT:
Thats a shame, in my quest to migrate from Windows to Linux for game developement, I discovered unity does not have a download for Linux. The good news is I can compile a build for Linux from within Windows. So yeah, I will have some fun making random game creations, cross platform too.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Miekuxi wrote:I used to think MS Word is that important; if abiword is better, I may switch as well.
It's not. But have you considered having a peek at TextMaker?
knight76

Post by knight76 »

I've still got windows dual booted as I've been using Linux for about a week and still cling to the Microsoft bosom.
bawldiggle

Post by bawldiggle »

Still using WinXP and Win7 on 5 machines.
- one laptop is Mint (my recent Linux test bed)

Require Windows for ...
AutoCad 2006,
Excel 2003 (for my VBA addins) -- on XP and Win7
Quickbooks Pro (requires XP -- does not work on Win7) :evil:

Seriously looking to convert as much as I can to Linux
- alternative to Quickbooks Pro
- alternative for AutoCad
- spreadsheet program that can be enhanced using Python
- would be willing to pay for apps, or donate, after trialing
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

I still use Windows for many things. Photoshop, Lightroom, Autodesk, and will add SolidWorks soon. I also have a little Zotac zbox with Win 8.1 that I use as a HTPC.
Dilitirio

Post by Dilitirio »

Like many have said before, I keep Windows 8 on my laptop for one singular reason: games.

Return to “Chat about Linux”