What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
killer de bug

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by killer de bug »

Habitual wrote: If you're not afraid of the terminal and resolving your own dependencies for user-installed packages, then I say "go for it".
Thanks for the tip. No worry for the terminal. In LMDE it's my best tool also :lol:
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

killer de bug wrote:Thanks for the tip. No worry for the terminal. In LMDE it's my best tool also :lol:
Great. Our UnOfficial Official Slackware Forum

I look forward to seeing your nick over there.
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

Mint 16 Cinnamon on my desktop with VirtualBox{ Windows 7, Windows XP, Ubuntu 14.04 server, Mint 17 RC } alongside Windows 7 64-bit.
Mint 16 Cinnamon on my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop alongside Windows 7
Ubuntu 14.04 server with XFCE desktop
Antix 13.2 Fluxbox on a Fujitsu 4546 Lifebook (seriously!)

Hey, XFCE is really natty.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Habitual wrote:
killer de bug wrote:Thanks for the tip. No worry for the terminal. In LMDE it's my best tool also :lol:
Great. Our UnOfficial Official Slackware Forum

I look forward to seeing your nick over there.
That's highly improbable... :)
I would like to register on SolydXK forum for at least 6 months and I still did not find the time for it... :lol:

If I test Slackware, it will be in a VB for my personal opinion only. It will not become a main system for me. Or at least I don't think so now...
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

killer de bug wrote:If I test Slackware, it will be in a VB for my personal opinion only. It will not become a main system for me. Or at least I don't think so now...
No worries. At least you know where to go to get help if|when you need it.

Peace.
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

Mint (of course), Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Pinguy, Manjaro, and Bodhi :mrgreen:
will_b

Post by will_b »

Mint 13 LTS
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Peppermint 3
Fedora 19 and Centos 5 (use these only at work)

I'm currently evaluating replacing all of the distros on my personal computers with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I plan on installing the minimal 14.04 on every computer, then have scripts build them up based on their capabilities. The slow machines with little RAM will get an LXDE environment, the aging mid-range machines may get XFCE and the faster machines with more resources will get Cinnamon. The file server may even remain as command line, though probably not.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

EmpireITtech wrote: OpenSUSE,
I used it for 6 months in 2008... With Gnome at that time. It was not bad.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I went back to Ubuntu Studio 14.04 (w/ MATE desktop) for my main workstation because of the out-of-the-box low latency kernel setup and my favourite audio processing utilities ready to use from the installation.

My file server and OTA video capture machine was switched over from Xubuntu 12.04 to PCLinuxOS 2014 64bit.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

will_b wrote:Mint 13 LTS
.... The slow machines with little RAM will get an LXDE environment, ...
Try Lubuntu 14.04, it's good. Or wait for Peppermint 5, will be released in a couple of months.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
FirebirdTN

Post by FirebirdTN »

Although I "dabbled" in RHEL4 and Fedora many many moons ago, back when Beryl was all the rage...its was cool, but wasn't very productive for me, so I kept using Windows.

A few years ago, tried Ubuntu [before Unity], and thought WOW, this looks promising; shortly thereafter the new version came out [Unity], and I thought "What the heck is this", and went back to Windows again.

As a still Linux "newbie" I now only use two:

CentOS6 for servers
Linux Mint for Desktops (Currently 64-bit 13 Cinnamon Edition, soon to be 64-bit 17 Cinnamon).<----LOVE LOVE LOVE Mint. I am now a Linux convert for life.

-Alan
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

FirebirdTN wrote:Although I "dabbled" in RHEL4 and Fedora many many moons ago, back when Beryl was all the rage...its was cool, but wasn't very productive for me, so I kept using Windows.

A few years ago, tried Ubuntu [before Unity], and thought WOW, this looks promising; shortly thereafter the new version came out [Unity], and I thought "What the heck is this", and went back to Windows again.

As a still Linux "newbie" I now only use two:

CentOS6 for servers
Linux Mint for Desktops (Currently 64-bit 13 Cinnamon Edition, soon to be 64-bit 17 Cinnamon).<----LOVE LOVE LOVE Mint. I am now a Linux convert for life.

-Alan
Wow! Awesome stuff there. I was the same, never really got into Linux until I came across Mint Cinnamon (at the time it was 13). It was my 1st real dive into the Linux world bc it enabled me to easily get started.
Great stuff Alan!
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Well, let's see...I currently have install and use on various computers around the house:

Xubuntu 12.04
LMDE Mate
AntiX 14RC
Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon
LinuxBBQ Mate
LinuxBBQ XFCE
ElementaryOS
PCLinuxOS KDE
Puppy Linux 5.2.8

I think those are pretty much listed in the order of most used to least used, from top to bottom. I will also try out and experiment with others from time to time. The top three are used daily.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Second.
xfrank wrote:Try Lubuntu 14.04, it's good. Or wait for Peppermint 5, will be released in a couple of months.
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux_rules »

Linux Mint 17 Mate and Manjaro Xfce (Dual Boot)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that depends:
- if it's a "nothing on TV so sit in front of PC" type moment, then it's Mint 13.
- if it's using the test PC - could be just about anything that's a Linux O/S.
- if it's a laptop - then could be Mint or Mepis.
:?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
js3915

Post by js3915 »

Currently running most of my boxes on Arch, as I'm cursed with the disease of always wanting the latest and greatest :D

Though i have a couple machines 1 running debian and a few running Mint.
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

Mint 17 Mate running Openbox. I have my old Arch tar'd somewhere, but it's not in any danger of a restore anytime soon.
jahid

Post by jahid »

Currently running:
Linux Mint 17 cinnamon 64 bit # for general purpose
Windows 8.1 # for gaming purpose
js3915

Post by js3915 »

jahid wrote:Windows 8.1 # for gaming purpose
Surprised you amit that :lol:

Though i have one that does windows 8.1 for gaming, Though a game that i play most now has a 64bit version for linux im debating switching but i still worry about my belkin gamepad not working right even though there is a utility for it :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”