What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hagensieker

What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by hagensieker »

I'm going to guess most of us use LinuxMint based on where we are. I started thinking about this and realized I use a lot more Linux than I thought.

LinuxMint 17 MATE - on home laptop system set up as desktop replacement system
LinuxMint 13 MATE - on a very old laptop at work hooked to a tube amplifier and DAC to stream Spotify and Pandora (Pithos).
Arch Linux - Used on a Cubox -i4 (this was an audio streamer, now it has no job.....gotta fix that)
Raspian - On a Raspberry Pi running an OwnCloud Server
Rasbian (squeezeplug) - on two Raspberry Pi's running LogitechMediaServer and Squeezelite as computer audio streamers to stereo systems.
Arch Linux (again) - on another Raspberry Pi running as a Shairport (Apple Airplay) device on a stereo system, and it runs squeezelite too. Two DAC's connected.
Lubuntu - on a Radxa Rock system that I just play around with.
Puppy Linux - On a flash drive for booting someone else's computer and having my own OS with me. (Puppy Linux is COOL).
ArchBang Linux - On a portable hard drive for booting someone else's computer and having my own OS with entertainment media with me.
ChromiumOS - same thing, on a flash drive for hijacking computers and having a system with me.
ChromeOS - On an HP 14 Chromebook (hey Chrome OS is Linux)

Despite all this I still consider myself a babe in the woods on Linux. Just like tinkering with it and as you can see once I learn a skill like putting an OS on removable media I go nuts exploiting it until I can settle into a system I like.

I'll tell you one thing I like that is and isn't Linux is Chromium OS on a flash drive. If you use Chrome, and I do on a Chromebook, and you have it configured, and I do have it well configured.........All you do is install Chromium on a flash drive and log in to your Google account and your OS sets itself up just like you did on your Chrome configuration.

There's a lesson here for Linux. How cool is that? Log in, computer sets itself up already. From a privacy standpoint maybe not cool because that means all your stuff is just out there somewhere but from a convenience standpoint......WOW. Having installed Linux Mint 17 the last couple days from a laptop previously containing Linux Mint 16 how great would it be if I just log in 17 and it auto - configured itself like Chromium OS did for me.

Anyway........What Linux are you using? I find most Linux types have gotten around like me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
motoperpetuo

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by motoperpetuo »

i was using ubuntu 12.04 on both of my computers until recently. decided to upgrade to 14.04 on my desktop yesterday and, surprise, it doesn't seem to see either my video or network adapters. so now i've install mint 16.

it works for the most part, but i can't get to my nfs share on my laptop, unfortunately. i get "mount.nfs: Protocol not supported" when i try to mount it. was going post here for help, but i can't figure out how to start a new thread. i probably just tired and frustrated and not seeing the option on the board index. would greatly appreciate any help.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Currently back on Ubuntu 14.04 x64. I have Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 x64 on another hard drive also. I find myself on Ubuntu most of the time lately, it's easy and I have every last thing set up just how I like it. :D A person could hardly go wrong running anything based on 14.04.

I find quite a few features in Ubuntu extremely useful with my current setup. I have a shortage of outlets where my computer is and am using a nice set of USB speakers, Ubuntu gives me the option to have the volume over 100%. This really helps on both the desktop and laptop.

Ubuntu 14.04 is resource friendly on both the desktop and laptop, neither are all that powerful but both do have quite a bit of RAM. My systems are performing great and 14.04 is supported for 5 years. I honestly can not think of anything I do not like about Ubuntu 14.04, it works great and is very polished.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

Mint 16 XFCE
SolydX XFCE (Home Edition) based on debian testing.

In a day or two from now, there is supposed to be an ISO for a brand new SolydX BE (Business Edition) version coming out based on debian stable. I'm seriously thinking of trying this edition out.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

Mint 17 Cinnamon RC - CentOS before my update to Haswell.
Arch i3 - VirtualBox
LinuxBBQ MATE - based on Debian Stable (work-in-progress)
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

I currently use 5 machines

> Debian 7.x (Wheezy) + MATE 1.8 32bit (Netbook)

> Debian 7.x (Wheezy) 64bit (main server & KVM virtualization host)
+ Kali Linux 32bit on KVM
+ Linux Mint 13 MATE 1.6 32bit on KVM
+ Linux Mint 17 MATE 32bit on KVM
+ CentOS 6.x Gnome 32bit on KVM

> Debian 7.x (Wheezy) 64 + MATE 1.8 (main desktop)
+ SystemRescueCD in dual-boot
+ Android x86 and some Windows for testing purpose, on KVM

> Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit (secondary desktop)

> Proxmox VE 3.2 64bit (KVM/OpenVZ virtualization host, secondary server)
+ NetBSD 6.1 32bit on KVM
+ Ubuntu Server 12.04 32bit on KVM
+ Debian 6.x (Squeeze) 32bit on OpenVZ

+ some others on bootable usb flash drives mostly for recovery/emergency purpose
Nilla Wafer

Post by Nilla Wafer »

We have three in our house and all three are running Linux Mint 13 Maya Xfce. They were Windows XP machines before, and for a little while mine was a test computer for a few other distros, but I'm keeping it Minty fresh these days because it's the one I share with others and I like to be able to "walk them through" the steps to configure their computers.

nilla
pjr2761

Post by pjr2761 »

Multi-boot - Currently using Mint (Maya 13) to send this reply, Distro Astro (Ceres 1.0.2) & M$-Windows Vi$ta (SP2) all on a Toshiba Tecra S1 and Debian 3.1 (Sarge) on a Compaq Armada M300. :mrgreen:
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Four notebooks.

HP G72: Debian Wheezy (Xfce)

Compaq Presario CQ56: Debian Wheezy (GNOME), Ubuntu 14.04 (Unity and GNOME Shell), Arch (Xfce), openSUSE 12.3 (KDE and Openbox), Sabayon (KDE and Fluxbox), Bridge Linux (Xfce and Window Maker).

Compaq Presario CQ57: Kubuntu 12.04, Debian Wheezy (KDE and Openbox), ArchBang (Openbox)

Compaq Presario CQ57: CrunchBang 11 ("Waldorf") (Openbox)
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Currently, I am very happy using Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon and Lubuntu 14.04. I am trying out the RC Netrunner 14.rc1 and it's so beautiful, I know I'll have to keep it. I plan to install final versions of Elementary Isis and Deepin 2014. I've done some experimenting with Arch-based systems lately, as I have in the past, and while I enjoy fooling around in there, I have to admit it's more than I want to know. :D
hagensieker

Post by hagensieker »

I actually forgot a couple things.

I upgraded my work laptop from Maya 13 to Mint 17 yesterday.
Also I have two more Raspberry Pi's that run variants of Raspian. One is a mobile 3g wifi hotspot I made as I travel to some pretty unsavory locations for work and by that I mean open networks in places you wouldn't want to log in and do your banking from. So I just go buy a SIM card and make my own wifi.

One more Raspberry Pi runs something called Screenly for a digital sign in my gf's business.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I'm using LMDE as my main system.

And I'm using a few virtual box to test things like manjaro (ok but not more), SolydX (not bad at all :wink: ), arch, freebsd, Fedora, eOS (what a mess and a really bad system :shock: ), Tanglu...
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Using LMDE, and I love it. Have tried other distro's in the past, but Mint is tops.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Mint 17 Cinnamon, KWheezy and Linux Lite
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
skywolfblue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by skywolfblue »

Mint 16 KDE...
I run Debian in VirtualBox for experimental stuff.

And that's it. Impressive list huh? :P
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Slackware is my preferred distribution.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

LMDE Mate: my main desktop distro (I love it!) 8)
Manjaro Xfce: my main laptop distro (I love it too) :D
Linux Mint 13 Xfce: in a netbook (very nice and useful distro, I use it for my classrooms) :)
PCLinuxOS Mate: in the same netbook, experimenting (very nice and polished distro) :)
Peppermint OS Lxde: in a desktop in my office at the University (fast and useful) :P
Point Linux Mate: in the same desktop above, experimenting (stable and basic) :P

and also...
Lunbuntu 14.04: in a very old (2004) laptop used now by my little son (dual booting with XP because he wants games above all :cry:) (Lubuntu is a very fast and quite good distro :wink:)
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Habitual wrote:Slackware is my preferred distribution.
Never tried this one. I should one day... :)
wanderer7

Post by wanderer7 »

Currently - Netrunner standard edition.
I'm going to try Mint 17 on the weekend. :mrgreen:
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

killer de bug wrote:
Habitual wrote:Slackware is my preferred distribution.
Never tried this one. I should one day... :)
If you're not afraid of the terminal and resolving your own dependencies for user-installed packages, then I say "go for it".

Return to “Chat about Linux”