What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jahid

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by jahid »

js3915 wrote:
jahid wrote:Windows 8.1 # for gaming purpose
Surprised you amit that :lol:

Though i have one that does windows 8.1 for gaming, Though a game that i play most now has a 64bit version for linux im debating switching but i still worry about my belkin gamepad not working right even though there is a utility for it :D
You noticed it, huh... :lol: .. I am not surprised. Admitting of using windows in a thread like this is certainly noticeable. But what can i do? I am neither a lier nor intending to conceal this information.
let me expose myself a little more 8) :
I was a little nervous when i enlisted windows, that's why i included the # part above :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am just using a free offer from microsoft for my university for entertaining myself a little......
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

Linux Mint Mate 17 and Mint Mate 13 (on my dads computer)

Ubuntu 14.04

Puppy Linux 5.7.1 on really old computers.
scryan

Post by scryan »

I can't help but get away from arch it seems...
Started running it on my laptop where I always have windows as a backup.
Ended up migrating my media pc to it.
Then when our old xp w/512mb ram laptop needed to be... usuable I threw it on that.
Run it on my raspberry pi too, lol... though I may switch that to something with official GPIO repos if I can't get a couple minor issues straightened. Unfortunately arm/pi/GPIO seems to be better supported/documented for the Debian based distros.
edit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 44&t=35321
:( kernel thing apparently... Guess if I am going to make anything serious I either have to check default state or figure out loading the module on boot.
ekim

Post by ekim »

I just recently picked up an used HP quad core cheap so I installed Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon on it cause I wanted to check out linux again. I have thought about partitioning it some and installing Ubuntu 14.04 to check that one out as well.
myglaren

Post by myglaren »

Laptop (Asus) with Mint 17.
Desktop (Zoostorm) with Ubuntu 14.04.
Laptop (Fujitsu) with Xubuntu 14.04
Laptop (Toshiba) with Kubuntu 13.10 - the latter two crap so rarely used. (Crap laptops, not OS)
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Laptop Acer Aspire 5738Z: ? (Arch, Mageia or pure Debian I had not decided yet)
Custom built 2007 PC: Linux Mint 17 XFCE
wanderer7

Post by wanderer7 »

RacerBG wrote:Laptop Acer Aspire 5738Z: ? (Arch, Mageia or pure Debian I had not decided yet)
Choose Debian. :wink:
mbott

Post by mbott »

Asus desktop is currently running Ubuntu 14.04. My older HP C700 laptop is running Mint 17, and running it very well.

--
Mike
apemanx

Post by apemanx »

Haha -- Very interesting.

i'm using a LMDE with my own custom kernel compiled. On top of that I have the Debian Sid Distro added to get the newest dependencies for the nVidia 340 driver. I just did a dist-upgrade to this setup - Will see what happens a little later today.
So far everything works very well!
Fuzzy Penquin

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

All distros are their current versions....

Mint Cinnamon - main desktop: general use, gaming, digital art creation
Mint Cinnamon - fiance's main desktop: general use, gaming
MacPup (Puppy w/E17) - ancient ThinkPad X23 laptop
SolydX - very old Sony Vaio laptop
RaspBMC - Raspberry Pi
Plus various ever-changing distros in VirtualBox for testing and distro-hopping pleasure. None currently installed yet, since I upgraded to Mint 17.

:oops: ...and a sad little secondary HD in my main desktop with Win7 on it. Spends most of it's time unused because it's buggy as all hell. It's original purpose was for any games or programs that wouldn't run in Linux when I first made the switch from WinXP. But it has proven itself too borked out of the box to actually be usable, so there is very little actually on it. It's the last Windows I will ever own, for many reasons.

So there ya have it. The OS setup within my household. :)
Hmfan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hmfan »

Of all my computers, I have 2 computers that are fully dedicated linux machines, one running LMDE and is my set top box laptop (laptop has broken backlight inverter board.) The other, an old acer aspire one ZG5 netbook, still sporting a version of Fedora (out of date because of power cord breaking) From there I have a Toshiba laptop that I have a dual boot setup using an external drive specifically for it with Linux mint Cinnamon (I got away from mate after seeing some of the features to Cinnamon) and the boot loader installed to that drive. without it, it boots to an Windows 7 Home Premium, which I keep for work related purposes. I also have 3 Raspberry pi's, two model B and one model B+. One of the B's is being used as a Home server with FTP access and DLNA abilities. It for the most part runs headless but I keep it hooked to an ancient CRT for those times that I want to mess with it directly. The other B has a 32 gb sd card and I've been working on using RetroPie with it (I think it's a modified arch that auto boots to a emulation station sort of thing. correct me if I am wrong) as for the B+, I'm lacking a micro SD to use with it at this time so it sits dormant.

If you guys count Android I have an Asus TF300T and a Motorola Droid 4

My other computer is Windows based for playing games only (mostly disk based, but a little bit of steam here and there as much as I despise it.) and My Wife used to be a Linux User but switched back to Windows after losing two computers to build quality. (What does she expect, she buys Dell.)
Main systems:
HP 15 AMD A6 6310, 16 GB RAM
Custom Desktop: Gigabyte F2A88XN, AMD A10 6800K, 8GB DDR3 RAM
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

As even Non-Linuxes are allowed in this thread: None except my Android phone. :mrgreen:

One of my webspaces runs CentOS though, but I don't have root rights there, so probably that doesn't even matter.
pjr2761

Post by pjr2761 »

Late arrival to the party! :lol:

Linux Mint 13 (Maya)*
Distro Astro 1.0.2 (Ceres)*
...early releases of Fedora Core, Mandrake, SUSE & Xubuntu (...and sometimes FreeBSD or Syllable) on an
old Compaq laptop.**
...and trying to install Yellow Dog 6.x (PPC) on my iBook G4

* these distro's multi-boot alongside MS-Windows Vista (business edition). :oops:
** a dual-boot with FreeDOS 1.x & MS-Windows 3.x (how sad is this!) :oops:
jahid

Post by jahid »

pjr2761 wrote:Late arrival to the party! :lol:

Linux Mint 13 (Maya)* :oops:
13 huh.. I guess you are not only late to the party, also late to the Minty world.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

There's nothing wrong with Mint 13.... It's supported until May, 2017. For certain old hardware, Mint 13 is even the only option. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Pjotr wrote:There's nothing wrong with Mint 13.... It's supported until May, 2017. For certain old hardware, Mint 13 is even the only option. :)
+1
I have an old athlon 64x2 that works only with Mint13 (I've tried 17 and even other distros).
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Debian Sid is my main OS. I'm also running Arch.

I looked at FreeBSD a while back, and I might try it again. And yes, I know it's not Linux, but just thought I'd mention it here too.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
GermanyChris

Post by GermanyChris »

Arch/Mate
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

LMDE2 Cinnamon on a netbook
Mint 17 Xfce on another netbook
Xubuntu 14.04 Toshiba laptop
LMDE2 MATE on a Dell desktop
Chromebook - Acer
Chromebook - Toshiba
Android on several devices if you count that as Linux.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

LMDE 2 Cinnamon x64 - Compaq Desktop (main computer)
Mint 17.1 Cinnamon x64 - kid's HP P4 desktop
Mint 17.1 Cinnamon x64 - HP 655 laptop
Mint 17.1 Cinnamon x64 - Spare HP P4 desktop

There's a trend here! :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”