What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

I use Linux Mint 17.1 KDE (32-bit for now), and I absolutely Love it.

Good article on KDE
http://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

All the Linux Mint editions are just great free operating systems!

I have also been playing around with Kali Linux lately too; because I was helping another user with this and thought it was interesting and it is.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Alley Cat

Post by Alley Cat »

Mint 17.1 Cinnamon x64 - HP Desktop with AMD Athlon 64 X2
Mint 17.1 Cinnamon x64 - HP Desktop with Intel Pentium Dual-Core
Android 4.4.4 - Motorola Moto G LTE

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

phd21 wrote:
I have also been playing around with Kali Linux lately too; because I was helping another user with this and thought it was interesting and it is.
Second-best OS out there (after Mint, of course)! :)
Just be careful; the default login is in the root account, so it's a security risk to use it.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Main Workstation - Ubuntu Studio 14.04

Server - PCLinuxOS

Laptop - Ubuntu Studio 14.04/Linux Mint 17.1 KDE

All machines running 64bit installations
ajcardiac

Post by ajcardiac »

Test rig: LM17.1 Cinnamon 32-bit
Secondary rig: LM17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit
Primary rig: LM17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

See my sig for details of my current lineup (two Dell C2D desktops with Mint 17.1 Cinnamon, and one Lenovo netbook with 17.1 XFCE as of this post). I'm not using any other distros at this particular moment.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

UPDATE: Betsy MATE!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Both the main PCs in our household run Mint 13 MATE, which gives complete satisfaction and is supported for nearly two more years.

However, I am now playing with Mint 17.1 XFCE on a persistent USB setup, created easily using these very complete instructions: http://tuxtweaks.com/2014/03/create-lin ... -live-usb/. I am now using this as my main OS on a little Compaq Mini netbook. No need to dual boot or remove the Win7 install on the netbook (for my sins there are a couple of Windows programs dealing with tax that I cannot live without.). Basically I just keep the pen drive plugged in on 99.9% of boots - after some help setting up the wifi (thanks to forum members :D) and tweaking swap and Firefox preferences it now seems to be running flawlessly.

When I have time, I am going to use this portable operating system on other computers to help me judge when to make the leap forward from Mint 13.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Mint 17.1 KDE
Semplice
Lubuntu
Siduction
LinuxBBQ
-Z
mbott

Post by mbott »

Desktop, Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 or Mint 17.1 (depends on my current frame of mind, which at this moment is Minty)

--
Mike
Last edited by mbott on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Down to none right now.
All I get is a black screen after the login with Mint Cinnamon and it has put me off with anything Linux. Very disappointed.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

fraxinus_63 wrote:Both the main PCs in our household run Mint 13 MATE, which gives complete satisfaction and is supported for nearly two more years.

However, I am now playing with Mint 17.1 XFCE on a persistent USB setup, created easily using these very complete instructions: http://tuxtweaks.com/2014/03/create-lin ... -live-usb/. I am now using this as my main OS on a little Compaq Mini netbook. No need to dual boot or remove the Win7 install on the netbook (for my sins there are a couple of Windows programs dealing with tax that I cannot live without.). Basically I just keep the pen drive plugged in on 99.9% of boots - after some help setting up the wifi (thanks to forum members :D) and tweaking swap and Firefox preferences it now seems to be running flawlessly.

When I have time, I am going to use this portable operating system on other computers to help me judge when to make the leap forward from Mint 13.
You might enjoy doing a full install to a usb stick. I've done this many times and am going to put Mint 17 MATE on a 32 gig usb stick as a portable system. It is not a great deal more involved than what you just did. Using gparted you format the usb stick to ext 4. I usually add a bit of swap on the stick, but not necessary if you have plenty of ram. You treat the usb stick as you would a regular hard drive, point the installation to your formatted stick, the main thing is to make sure you install grub to that stick and not the hard drive of the computer you are using.
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

KBD47 wrote:You might enjoy doing a full install to a usb stick. I've done this many times and am going to put Mint 17 MATE on a 32 gig usb stick as a portable system. It is not a great deal more involved than what you just did. Using gparted you format the usb stick to ext 4. I usually add a bit of swap on the stick, but not necessary if you have plenty of ram. You treat the usb stick as you would a regular hard drive, point the installation to your formatted stick, the main thing is to make sure you install grub to that stick and not the hard drive of the computer you are using.
Good suggestion - thanks. As I said, I was delighted to find out how easy it was to create a persistent bootable Mint USB when I finally made the effort to try.

A former distro-hopper, the excellence of Mint LTS releases in recent years has made me settle down! In the future I am keen to explore the LXQt desktop. Many years ago I loved KDE3, and the idea of some of the old KDE goodness without the full Plasma desktop and the massive dependencies associated with KDE today appeals to me a lot. However, I'd play with this on a Mint install.

The only thing that would make me look beyond Mint at present would be a nice media production/studio distro. I am keen to learn to use Linux for recording music but have never got far with the process of setting up JACK for myself - a distro that had some of these things pre-configured might save me a lot of time.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

On my PC I use Debian Jessie 8.1 for now... I consider playing with Slackware at some point when it reaches 14.2 though.

On my laptop there can be only one Linux distro: Mint Cinnamon! 8)
lexon

Post by lexon »

I still use Mint 17. Been using Mint since shortly after Mint 6 came out.
Mint is not as good as it once was but still better than Windows.

Mint will not work with my iPhone 4 or my iPad 4 but I hand those to my stepson who uses W7 when I need any changes for music or iBooks.

L
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

After a Xubuntu update removed wifi dongle firmware, I decided to simplify my life and installed Mint 17 Xfce on 3 of my main Linux machines.
I've seen complaints from users about Mint updater not installing Kernel updates by default--there is a good reason for that. Lose your video driver or wifi firmware on a critical machine through an update and suddenly Mint is brilliant :-)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

KBD47 wrote:I've seen complaints from users about Mint updater not installing Kernel updates by default--there is a good reason for that. Lose your video driver or wifi firmware on a critical machine through an update and suddenly Mint is brilliant :-)
It's definitely brilliant.... Mint allows for targeted kernel updates instead of indiscriminate kernel updates.

Targeted in the sense that you can easily install a newer kernel in Mint if you need one for some reason, but you don't get one "automatically" in the heap of other, regular updates.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ajcardiac

Post by ajcardiac »

Update

I now have all 4 distros on my test rig.
I remain removed Cinnamon 32-bit and replaced it with 64-bit on my secondary rig and Cinnamon 64-bit remains on my primary rig.
mbott

Post by mbott »

mbott wrote:Desktop, Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 or Mint 17.1 (depends on my current frame of mind, which at this moment is Minty)

--
Mike
I've updated my desktop to Ubuntu 15.04 and am now running the same on my laptop.

--
Mike
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Now running Debian Jessie, Arch, Ubuntu 14.04, openSUSE 13.2, Lubuntu 14.04, and LMDE 2. First time getting a foot back into the Mint world in quite some time (since Isadora).

Return to “Chat about Linux”