AttackVector Linux VS Tails Vs Kali

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brahim Salem

AttackVector Linux VS Tails Vs Kali

Post by Brahim Salem »

I want to know which one is the most secure to use for educational purpose. Tails is funded directly by the Tor project. Kali is backed up by the famous Offensive SecuritY, while AttackVector Linux claims to be a compromise between both "While Kali requires a modified kernel for network drivers to use injection and so forth,
TAILS is designed from the bottom up for encryption, and anonymity. Nmap can't UDP via Tor.The intention of AttackVector Linux is to provide the capability to anonymize attacks while warning the user when he or she takes actions that may compromize anonymity. The two projects have different design philosophies that can directly conflict with one another. In spite of this, the goal of AttackVector Linux is to integrate them complementarily into one OS."

I have a Kali, Tails and now I'm downloading AttackVector Linux and I'm confused which one I should install oN my computer, maybe Tails is left out because it is designed for live USB/CD ? Which one do you recommend experts? Is there a way to configure Mint to take the best out of everyone or do I need special expertise to do that?

Image Image Image
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wanderer7

Re: AttackVector Linux VS Tails Vs Kali

Post by wanderer7 »

Well, I'm not an expert, but Kali Linux and TAILS can't be compared. TAILS is for privacy, created to be run from a live-usb and it's for normal users. Kali is for cyber-security experts and for ethical hacking. :wink:
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Man this Tails OS rocks!! It is full of security features. I love it :D

/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Zorba wrote:I want to know which one is the most secure to use for educational purpose.
Never forget that they're all based on the same kernel. :)
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I still think that Tails is more secure to browse the web because it is backed up by the Tor project directly and it it built from bottom up for this sole purpose :wink:
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Using Tor to "encrypt" your identity won't help when malicious pals are directly accessing your computer anyway. :)
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

/dev/urandom wrote: Never forget that they're all based on the same kernel. :)
Doesn't Tails use grsecurity? That's something at least.

Nope. Shame.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

grsecurity? Wasn't that the software with the loads of "critical security fixes" in the mid-2000s? Not sure if that was any better anyway.
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

/dev/urandom wrote:grsecurity? Wasn't that the software with the loads of "critical security fixes" in the mid-2000s? Not sure if that was any better anyway.
Don't know why you're talking in the past tense.

Code: Select all

3.0-3.14.4
Last updated: 05/14/14
Next you'll claim PaX (part of the package) is useless too?
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Past tense, because critical flaws became less in the last few years.
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

You've linked flaws of grsecurity itself, the last from 6 years ago. So what are you trying to say?
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Just wondering if it's worth the additional effort.
(Used to use the web AFTER posting opinions.)
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

I guess it depends on the threats you expect to face.. Skype uses it for its servers.

For the regular user it's a hard balance unless you're on Arch (which has linux-grsec kernels and predefined pax profiles).
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Just testing grsecurity on my Arch VM, wondering how those "jails" work (given that I know how they work on FreeBSD). Thanks for the hint anyway. :)

(Arch users aren't regular, right?)
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

/dev/urandom wrote:(Arch users aren't regular, right?)
Fair point. :mrgreen:
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux_rules »

Previous1 wrote: For the regular user it's a hard balance unless you're on Arch (which has linux-grsec kernels and predefined pax profiles).
I am using Manjaro as dual boot with Mint. Manjaro as you know is based on Arch. Does that mean I am using a linux-grsec kernel under Manjaro ?

Need a confirmation for peace of mind coz Manjaro doesnt have selinux or apparmor.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Estimate: AttackVector never I have used it, so can not comment. Tails Linux and Kali Linux are really excellent at what they do..... I just do not like about Kali is the desktop environment (based on Gnome 3 - Gnome 3 fallback mode). Tastes are tastes.....

By the way, if you want something like Kali Linux, but with XFCE desktop without a doubt recommend you BackBox Linux (I've tested, and it works great too). That's right: Kali Linux is based on Debian, BackBox is based on Xubuntu.... Have fun (but healthy 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) Best Regards.-
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

linux_rules wrote:
Previous1 wrote: For the regular user it's a hard balance unless you're on Arch (which has linux-grsec kernels and predefined pax profiles).
I am using Manjaro as dual boot with Mint. Manjaro as you know is based on Arch. Does that mean I am using a linux-grsec kernel under Manjaro ?

Need a confirmation for peace of mind coz Manjaro doesnt have selinux or apparmor.
Manjaro is to Arch what Ubuntu is to Debian, you can't guarantee what works in one works in the other. However, you can try following the instructions here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Grsecurity

Return to “Chat about Linux”