"Linux Sucks" - 2014

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

"Linux Sucks" - 2014

Post by xenopeek »

It's that time of the year; Byan does his why Linux sucks vs why Linux rocks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pOxlazS3zs. He switches at 21 minutes, so don't comment before watching the second part of the video also :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Crewp

Re: "Linux Sucks" - 2014

Post by Crewp »

Yes, there is always room for improvement, ( and yes, I saw the whole video ) but overall Linux turns out some great software, some great OS's with many flavors and choices. And I wouldn't want it any other way.
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

"Your names suck" :lol:

I somehow got the impression he talked on problem XY, then said problem XY is okay after all so... there's no problem.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Pretty poor, I thought. None of his "sucks" or "doesn't suck" had much of anything to do with actual users, and I'm not sure his complaints about too many forks and other software development issues were useful, because that's how you get new software.

Just check the titles on the posts in this, or other linux, forums, and you'll see why linux sucks (Nobody is complaining about too many forks, that I can see) :
- audio; alsa, jack and pulse are a real mess.
- video; largely a matter of low number of users, so linux drivers aren't completely developed.
- booting and installing; grub is crapware.
- networking.
- reading and writing CDs/DVDs. Partly because of stupid lawyer antics.
- fonts; do I really need 600+ fonts (>600 files) ? Font-related software is marginal.
- MIME handling (my pet peeve).
- Many applications are quirky and/or buggy (again mostly a function of # of users).

Why linux doesn't suck:
- It's based on Unix.
- Wide choice of "desktop environments", nearly all of which are superior to MS stuff.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed by the port from Unix to Linux.

Edit: "Your names suck"
'Tis silly to name each release.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

Fully agreed with the above post.
do I really need 600+ fonts (>600 files) ? Font-related software is marginal.
Personally I'd rather have a few good ones than tons that don't display right. :|
- MIME handling (my pet peeve).
!!!! The time spent in working out the default browser in Linux roughly equals the time spent for your average research paper.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Flemur wrote:- fonts; do I really need 600+ fonts (>600 files) ? Font-related software is marginal.
That's a symptom of trying to please everybody / the flipside of the installer doing everything for you / too stupid an installer. Regardless of whether you install for western or non-western language, you always gets fonts installed for both on most major distros that I can recall. With fonts it is pretty obvious and glares you in the face when you try to do some text editing, but that scratches but the surface.

On Linux Mint 14 I removed all of the below fonts because they are for non-western languages and serve no purpose for me (except for Indic fonts for example being used for the "look of disapproval" frequently used on reddit and the like; but I can do without). This clears up trying to find a font while text editing hugely...

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --purge autoremove fonts-kacst fonts-kacst-one fonts-khmeros-core fonts-lao fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-nanum fonts-sil-abyssinica fonts-sil-padauk fonts-takao-pgothic fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-tlwg-garuda fonts-tlwg-kinnari fonts-tlwg-loma fonts-tlwg-mono fonts-tlwg-norasi fonts-tlwg-purisa fonts-tlwg-sawasdee fonts-tlwg-typewriter fonts-tlwg-typist fonts-tlwg-typo fonts-tlwg-umpush fonts-tlwg-waree ttf-indic-fonts-core ttf-punjabi-fonts ttf-wqy-microhei
Command to list the package from which each font was installed, so you can easily assemble your own list of pacakges to remove:

find /usr/share/fonts/truetype -type f -printf "%f\n" | xargs dpkg -S | grep --colour=never "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/" | sort
I think I had well over 150 packages that I removed from every Linux Mint install, that are completely useless to me and only made the Update Manager do pointless updates at best (at worst causing issues / slowing things down). Thing like VirtualBox guest (I'm installing on real hardware), Modem Manager (don't have one), printer drivers (don't have one), Nvidia tools (have Intel graphics), Xorg drivers for other graphics cards, and ndis - wrapper for Windows wireless drivers (don't have wireless). All because the installer is too stupid to figure out what you need and what you don't need. Though of course I understand we need something like IBM Watson in the installer to make it smart enough to handle all edge cases and special wishes :)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Could be interesting to have an installer that select what you need or not...
1) Arch way: user select what he want or not. Not really user friendly
2) Auto detection. Prone to breakage. Is it worth the risk?

:lol:
babania

Post by babania »

Flemur wrote:
Why linux doesn't suck:
- Wide choice of "desktop environments", nearly all of which are superior to MS stuff.
Well, this one definitely goes to way linux sucks - allmost all linux des looks like windows 3.1, and just 1 or 2 is better than win xp. Wide choise of crap isnt a good thing.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Meh. Methinks you haven't tried the right desktop environments. Linux Mint focuses on desktop environments that have elements familiar to Windows users, but there are other choices out there that have a modern UI with a strong own identity (e.g., Gnome Shell, Pantheon, Unity, and so on).
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Thank you, xenopeek !
That sudo apt-get --purge autoremove fonts- command is going into my OS Installation Checklist.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
arunarmstrong

Post by arunarmstrong »

linux is awesome :D
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

no it's not :D
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

xsog wrote:linux is awesome :D
Come on! We were just saying you it sucks :lol:
arunarmstrong

Post by arunarmstrong »

it is awesome :) xenopeek is on everything with LINUX mint :)
alucard.id

Post by alucard.id »

yes, linux is sucks.

or more accurately linux only good in realm of IT, it help a lots in IT.
but when talking about other activity, it is total piece of **** for other folks who just want to get their thing done.
example: doctor, engineer, lawyer, finance, designer, dumbtech old man just want watch video or listening to their favorite music, etc

+ they don't know anything about this and no time for '#sudo' here and there, after installing their software just to get their software run properly.
+ they also have no much time to waste for keep asking the IT support
+ meanwhile most of open-source software which design for professional are inferior compare to windows-base (except software for IT).
+ talking about plugging devices, it always have new problems.
+ most device features won't fully being utilized by the generic linux drivers

moreover

+ linux support too expert to be asked and they always laugh like an expert :D .
+ documentation whether lack or too long and deep to be understand.
+ what ??? someone asked them(doctor, engineer, lawyer, finance, designer, etc) to use 'vi' to fix their installation. this is crazy.

I like linux, and currently using linuxmint on my desktop
i have purposely mentioned some example of people problem,
hoping some people try to fix this by making it easier and helpful.

today, linux is still suck.
Last edited by Oscar799 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for language
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

alucard.id wrote: it is total piece of **** for other folks who just want to get their thing done.
example: [...] engineer [...] dumbtech old man just want watch video or listening to their favorite music, etc
[...]

If an engineer don't know how to use a computer then it's not an engineer. I am an engineer and I can tell you that in most (all?) engineering school, you have to use Linux at least once in your studies... :wink:
I haven't said becoming an expert. I have said use it.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

alucard.id wrote:yes, linux is sucks.

or more accurately linux only good in realm of IT, it help a lots in IT.
but when talking about other activity, it is total piece of **** for other folks who just want to get their thing done.
example: doctor, engineer, lawyer, finance, designer, dumbtech old man just want watch video or listening to their favorite music, etc

+ they don't know anything about this and no time for '#sudo' here and there, after installing their software just to get their software run properly.
+ they also have no much time to waste for keep asking the IT support
+ meanwhile most of open-source software which design for professional are inferior compare to windows-base (except software for IT).
+ talking about plugging devices, it always have new problems.
+ most device features won't fully being utilized by the generic linux drivers

moreover

+ linux support too expert to be asked and they always laugh like an expert :D .
+ documentation whether lack or too long and deep to be understand.
+ what ??? someone asked them(doctor, engineer, lawyer, finance, designer, etc) to use 'vi' to fix their installation. this is crazy.

I like linux, and currently using linuxmint on my desktop
i have purposely mentioned some example of people problem,
hoping some people try to fix this by making it easier and helpful.

Please read the following with your sense of humour configured as 'SoH=true' and real experience detection also set to 'ReD=true'

Speaking as a 'dumb' non IT worker who has spent most of his life as a simple machine operator in a manufacturing plant and who just uses my machine to browse, watch video and generally do my thing.. I'd just like to take the time to be outraged and offended for all those highly educated people that you assume can't manage to do things that I have no particular difficulties with and for all the generous people here who provide helpful, non-judgemental and easy to follow advice on a daily basis. Although, I can't help feeling a little smug that apparently there is one thing I'm more successful at that these well paid professionals :mrgreen:
konjad

Post by konjad »

Good job falling for an obvious troll, guys.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

konjad wrote:Good job falling for an obvious troll, guys.
Is correcting a possible troll actually falling for it.. I would of though biting and replying with attitude was closer to falling for it :lol: Either way, if a novice reads this post they can now get a more balanced view of modern Linux 8)
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

i've been using Mint since Gloria, look at my hardware, it's pathetic,

inxi -F
System:    Host: Sade Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   Mobo: N/A model: ZX-945-15 Bios: American Megatrends version: 080012 date: 08/10/2012
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-UP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (sse sse2 sse3) clocked at 2400.039 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x720@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 915G x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 10.1.0
and yet i am running two versions of Blender on this without any problems or noticeable slowdown..and you have the nerve to crib about some unneeded fonts or packages, or MIME, whatever that is, slowing you down? I don't believe it!
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

Return to “Chat about Linux”