"Linux Sucks" - 2014

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Re: "Linux Sucks" - 2014

Post by InkKnife »

Some history on the "windows" look of most Linux DEs.
Windows 95, which introduced the panel/menu layout for Windows was mimicking the Unix CDE (Common Desktop Environment) already in use.
So Linux copied Unix the same way Windows did, Linux did not follow Windows. As if Microsoft could have an original idea.. :roll:
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

How did the start menu resemble anything from CDE?
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

/dev/urandom wrote:How did the start menu resemble anything from CDE?
I'm also wondering... :lol:
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

/dev/urandom wrote:How did the start menu resemble anything from CDE?
The version of CDE that used to be on one of our old machines running Solaris had a "start menu" very similar to Gnome2.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

So, basically, Gnome2 resembles CDE, Windows doesn't. :D
haplo

Post by haplo »

xenopeek wrote:
Flemur wrote:- fonts; do I really need 600+ fonts (>600 files) ? Font-related software is marginal.
That's a symptom of trying to please everybody / the flipside of the installer doing everything for you / too stupid an installer. Regardless of whether you install for western or non-western language, you always gets fonts installed for both on most major distros that I can recall. With fonts it is pretty obvious and glares you in the face when you try to do some text editing, but that scratches but the surface.
AFAIK gentoo doesn't do that. :P Of course, it can still be a pain to avoid installing things you didn't want or need, but that's all gnome/systemd/u*/pulseaudio/*kit nonsense, which is now the #1 reason why linux sucks.
arunarmstrong

Post by arunarmstrong »

linux has easyeir commands than windows or mac

Return to “Chat about Linux”