Broken Distros (including Mint) What's going on?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Broken Distros (including Mint) What's going on?

Post by Jedinovice »

A story. First, to say that I have resolved my problems here. But...[Long story but many ditros and troubles to describe]

I must confess I have had some trouble recently with Mint KDE and beyond. Mint 13 has been rock solid. Ditto with 14. I found 15 kept grinding to a halt with clear memory leaks, even after updates. Mint 16 was a dream on my Turion test machine but I hit a major problem with my little Atom. I found that I was not able to update all the components I use on Kdenlive. This led to trouble in switching sources from machine to machine. So I tried to upgrade to Mint 16 KDE (let's not argue about GUI. KDE works for me, yea, even on a single core n455 Atom.)

64 bit would not install, period. I clicked on the install button and nothing happened. End. Yes, my Atom is a full 64 bit machine and was running Mint 13 64 bit edition for trial purposes.
32 bit installed – almost. But it then threw up an error when checking the hardware and bombed out leaving the machine in an unusable state.

Actually, after the troubles of 15 and 16 I was losing faith in Mint and KDE. I confess that I kinda felt KDE was not well loved in Mint and I decided to search for a KDEcentric edition of Linux. Yes, KDE does mean that much to me. Also, I download packages onto hard disk and install offline – I hate being dependent on internet servers for everything. Also, I can restore a machine to a known point quickly this way.

This is what I went through...

Sabayon - just would not boot. Two downloads, one direct and one torrent. DVD just spun in the drive and did nothing. This was confirmed on the Celeron machine.
Korora – Booted to a welcome screen. End. No login, no link, nothing. Again, confirmed on the Celeron so this was NOT hardware!
I tried Kubuntu. This booted and installed! Yay! Only I quickly felt I was using a mobile phone. No 'su' command? I have to 'sudo' everything? No synaptic? No Firefox, just a link to download it? As someone used to the level of control of Slackware Kubuntu felt like being locked in kindergarten! Hell I am used to the Commodore PET days of OPEN 8,8,15: PRINT#8,"I": CLOSE 8 to start using the floppy drive! Kubuntu was not for me.
In desperation I went back to Slackware and trying slapt-get. I was greeted with a partition error that I could not resolve with cfdisk. Yeesh!!!
Two days of agony this had taken...

I installed 'Ultimate Edition.' Very Mint like and had huge potential but... everything was white on back including Libreoffice! Now I am used to green screen boxes and started on a Commodore PET so I could have handled this. I also know I could have changed the screen colours but it was bit weird. I also found the Muon package installer odd and hard to download packages for offline install. (I have installed it in Mint for experimentation as it is used in a lot of distros.) So I put UE on the backup list and moved on.

I turned to Solydk. This installed fully with no troubles. Good. Very much like using Mint – indeed, it is an offshoot – and some subtle improvements. Only... Synaptic kept losing it's borders, mplayer just would not work – while it was flawless in Mint – and, finally... I could not install the latest rendering of Wine. Alas, I do everything on my machines from basic apps to video editing, media playing, the internet, Windows app running all the way to games. My laptops are my life. I have very antisocial hours at work so my R&R is very PC based. So I need everything on tap including Windows apps Version 1.4 is horribly out of date and 17 runs a vast load more Windows SW including games. [I plan to go steam and GOG but getting a usable credit card in Indonesia is a black art.] While in Mint I could override apps in the default repositories by uninstall, download updated packages and install via dpkg (I do that for Libreoffice a lot) Soldk absolutely REFUSED!!! If it was not Wine 1.4 Solydk would scream and force a re-install of 1.4.

Finally I dropped back to Mint 16 and used my backup plan. I installed Mint 16 MATE edition which worked a dream. I then downloaded all of KDE, all the apps and set as my default CLI. I was then able to update Libreoffice and Wine with ease. Mplayer also returned to full operation. This also confirmed the errors I had were de to KDE. Some slight interface glitches but all resolvable. Now I am running again.

So, my conclusions from all this? It seems a lot of Linus renderings are highly *unstable.* Imagine if I were a new starter in Linux and I hit all these problems? This is positively frightening. I mean, install DVD's that just do not run? Yes, I downloaded images multiple times from multiple sources. It was painful.

Next, I have to give Mint credit. It gets the balance right between protecting the user from error and making things easy (a la*buntu but not so noddy) and giving control (ala Slackware but not so much hard work.) It is smooth and easy to use and gets out of the way when I am I working. It is also excellent for multi-media. I also have to credit Slackware here. That distro handled anything I threw at it. Solydk fell down badly there. My loyalty to Mint was tested but I was burnt and returned to the fold.

Also, I know the Mint team protest when they are told that they do not despise KDE and that KDE handling is not their job, that it is handled by a separate team... but I still feel that KDE gets let down *somewhere.* Mint 15 KDE was nothing but trouble for me on any machine and 16, while fine, very nice actually. on my Turion, as I say would not install AT ALL on my Atom. I confirmed, in the end, KDE was my problem with the install.

I figure I am likely to stick with Linux MATE in the future and install KDE as an app. That way I can guarantee operation. I can also get 17 as soon as it comes out. But I am disturbed by it all. The office saw me going quite mad over it all. Not a good advert for Linux as a whole. I wonder what has gone on with distros recently?

Anyway, as a *positive* advert for Mint Linux, here is an example of my recreation video cuts. Stick to the end titles. :-) Er, alert: Charming, non-violent Anime AMV. May cause vomitting for the romantically disinclined. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ9ibMTNX-Q
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
Previous1

Re: Broken Distros (including Mint) What's going on?

Post by Previous1 »

Sometimes installing and using Linux seems very much hit-or-miss. This article points out some major issues:

http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is ... rrent.html

Some may call it FUD but as long as you look at the many many links provided and not the comment section you'll learn a thing or two.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Interesting reading Previous1. Thanks for that.

What is odd is that prior to this mess Linux had been golden for me.

When I first got my Aspire One I tried Kubuntu, then Slackware, and then Mint 14 which I have stuck with. While I had trouble with Mint 15 I had ZERO install, config or running problems with these distros.

Even Mint 16 KDE was flawless on my Turion. Only when I tried it on the Atom – which, as I say – is as standard as you can get, did I hit trouble and then I hit distro hell!

I was aware of driver issues but not rampant instability problems or non-booting DVD's! Hmm, a wake up call. My Turion is in need of repair and there is no budget (dodgy power regulator.) But I will be using it as a test bed machine. I may well do more testing on different distros. I would try to see if I can make UE useable.

To Mint's credit, in the main, it HAS been reliable. Even now, now I have got the thing to install., KDE is running flawlessly in Mint 16. In some ways it is better than ever before.

I must investigate further when I have a test machine. BTW, I need the Aspire and Atom netbooks running stable since slow as the Atom can be, (and that is only when rendering or media converting) I need the battery life, especially when I am sub-contrated to an external school where there is a high likelihood of no power supply and/or faulty computer equipment.

But, I must also say that while the operation of Kubuntu was not for me, it seemed stable. I just did not like its minimal approach. Others do.

Slackware, while not for novices, was totally stable and great learning for me. A good place for me to start before I started doing real work. It handled anything I could install it. Dependencies where a nigtmare though. But I had Libreoffice 3.3.3 and 4.01 running on the same machine then. Hehehehe.

Mint has been incredibly robust in 13, 14 and 16. It was 15 that was a pain and 16 just did not install. Now I have 16 running on this netbook I have no problems.

In terms of one of the comments on the link that you cannot use Linux for multiple tasks... I do EVERYTHING under Linux, watching anime, office work, lesson prep. Graphics work, video editing, media playing (especially material for students,) file conversion and Linux KDE has, when I can get it to install has been flawless!

So, yeah, some FUD... But I thought Linux had advanced further than perhaps it had.
The overall quality of software in terms of features has improved dramatically, I have noticed, but yeah, maybe there is room for improvement.

Dunno. When Linux works for me it is near flawless and less trouble than Windows which I now loath. Heck, I lost faith in Windows with Vista (still hated 7) leave alone Hate. Yet, it took me four days to return to Mint and use a work around. How odd. When there is budget to fix the test machine, I will test more. I was a software tester for 15 years...
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
skywolfblue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by skywolfblue »

Previous1 wrote:Sometimes installing and using Linux seems very much hit-or-miss. This article points out some major issues:

http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is ... rrent.html
That's a rather well written article!

Linux has taken a lot of strides forward making things more supported lately, but it's still got a long way to go to eliminate the hit-or-miss factor that's such a problem.

Return to “Chat about Linux”