What Kind of User Are You?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gtsfer

What Kind of User Are You?

Post by gtsfer »

I felt the need to write this little blurb, in a lighthearted fashion, to share my experiences about the kind of users you'll find on these forums. About users on these forums, computer users in general and Linux Mint users as well. I've been active on these forums for a couple of months now and I have learned a few things about who I interact with that almost warrant a tutorial. So throw your opinion up here too. But these are some of the things I've learned about other people and myself as well.

Categories:
1) The answer to the posted question is "Find the box that your computer came it. Get some packing tape...." You get the rest of this one, right?
.... 1a) "My Linux is 'busted'. Help me!!!!" Consider your own mood before reply. Do you feel like playing "dentist" a little bit today?

2) The angry user. To be avoided like the plague. Doesn't like LM much and blah, blah, blah about this lousy distro. Why don't you do it my way? What's wrong with you people? To be topped off with "and nobody ever answers my questions anyway". Ummm, gee, I don't know why that is. :(

3) The user that posts a question and replies to your first query in a fashion that shows you he/she knows more about computers that you ever will. Maybe you misunderstood the question a bit. Maybe you thought that being a "first post" that this is a newbie (like me still). :) But you should definitely get on the ball, do some reading to get up to speed, or learn to read minds before coming back to this one.
.... 3a ) "Who do you think you are replying to my post? I was expecting Clem, Linus or maybe Stephen Hawking, not YOU."

4) Failed the "reading" and/or "comprehension" test in school. Despite great attention to detail on your part, and an effort to simplify, this user's native language seems to be Klingon. Nothing you write the first time gets through. This is why copy and paste was invented imho.

5) Just doesn't like your answer. There's a little bit of crossover into #3 here. "No, it's just not an XYZ problem" so your post is dissed a little and ignored. Ok, maybe you didn't think so, but if you read the link and instructions, this FIXED the same issue that someone else had.

The moral of the story is that I find myself a little more selective about what I am willing to step into. I don't mind the real newbies at all, I actually like being able to help someone learn their way around, just like people helped me. But I'm a bit careful about what kind of doo doo I might be stepping into lately.

Happy Easter to all and feel free to add your experiences and ideas here too.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What Kind of User Are You?

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

gtsfer wrote:3a ) "Who do you think you are replying to my post? I was expecting Clem, Linus or maybe Stephen Hawking, not YOU."
:lol: I experienced this [at least] once, replying to a user's query about submitting corrections to the user's guide. I'm not going to mention who, but if you're resourceful, you just might find out LOL.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote::lol: I experienced this [at least] once, replying to a user's query about submitting corrections to the user's guide.
It takes all kinds I guess. :) What a bunch of misfits we human beings are. I guess maybe you know that a post or two I saw kinda prompted my little rant.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Oh... let's say, I've seen *plenty* LOL. "AB" and "BP" in particular rang an awful lot of bells...

Those who've "been there" should know who "AB" and "BP" were.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

I'm unsure if this innuendo makes you look better than "those users".

What I'm missing in this thread is the positive kind of user.

The user who researches solutions to the best of his capabilities.
The user who is grateful for any volunteered help he may get.
The user who returns the favor in kind.
The user who learned to first observe, then judge.
The user who's a teacher in anger management, not a student.
The user who only inflates his knowledge, not his ego.

Of course I don't claim to be all the above... :wink:
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Thanks for presenting the positive side, Previous1

To add to gtsfer's list:
The person who thinks you don't need to know what version or desktop or what sort of computer - probably fits in Catagory 1

Catagory 4B: Failed the "writing" test in school. The ones who can't communicate beyond "gizmo" and "thingy", and can't handle the "complete sentences" and "punctuation" concepts. Those who do not speak English as a first language get a pass on that, of course.

I have encountered some very impressive, sharp, and determined people, as well. I am grateful for that.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I'm kind of newbie, kind of a lab mouse because I like to test things on MY machines no matter what will happen and kind of lazy person. :D
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

gtsfer wrote:I felt the need to write this little blurb, in a lighthearted fashion...
Well some of this was obviously taken totally out of context (a "4c"? and what's with the "innuendo" ?). But more on the positive side, there are also those users that actually take the time to read forum rules, how to post etc. Amazingly quite a few first time posters dump the results of "mintwifi.py" or and "inxi" command showing that they spent the time to look around first to see what might be useful with their particular problem or questions.

And on the other hand....
austin.texas wrote:The person who thinks you don't need to know what version or desktop or what sort of computer - probably fits in Catagory 1

Catagory 4B: Failed the "writing" test in school. The ones who can't communicate beyond "gizmo" and "thingy", and can't handle the "complete sentences" and "punctuation" concepts. Those who do not speak English as a first language get a pass on that, of course.
I completely agree with this one. One the less serious side again, I will semi-shamefully admit to having a Facebook account and looking at the "Linux Mint" and "Ubuntu" pages on occasion. (FB keeps me in touch with my nieces and nephews at least). The postings on there are good for a chuckle sometimes. They definitely lean towards "thingy" and "I need help" (followed by a period, that's all folks).

And why anyone would think that FB is a good place to post their problems is beyond me. I am pretty sure you didn't download your ISO file from FB in the first place. :)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

gtsfer wrote:And why anyone would think that FB is a good place to post their problems is beyond me. I am pretty sure you didn't download your ISO file from FB in the first place. :)
You mean there is a world outside of Facebook?!!!
I must inform my daughter of that amazing fact !!!
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

austin.texas wrote:You mean there is a world outside of Facebook?!!!
I must inform my daughter of that amazing fact !!!
She'll never believe you. :lol: This is the classic "Facebook IS the Internet" syndrome. For the new generation, this IS the only tool you use to send all email, update your status and current location (it's necessary to keep your location up-to-date at ALL times), keep track of family and friends and post pictures of your last cheeseburger. And selfies of course. LOTS of selfies.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

gtsfer wrote:She'll never believe you. :lol: This is the classic "Facebook IS the Internet" syndrome. For the new generation, this IS the only tool you use to send all email, update your status and current location (it's necessary to keep your location up-to-date at ALL times), keep track of family and friends and post pictures of your last cheeseburger. And selfies of course. LOTS of selfies.
You forgot the part about "Carrie knows Mark is going out on her because Misty spent the night at Laura's house and they went to the park and saw Mark holding hands with Jennie and they told Carrie and, like... OMG"
Linux Linx 2018
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

austin.texas wrote:You forgot the part about "Carrie knows Mark is going out on her because Misty spent the night at Laura's house and they went to the park and saw Mark holding hands with Jennie and they told Carrie and, like... OMG"
:lol:

See, I'd make a lousy teenager. The only good part about FB and teenagers is that you know where your children are at all times. Except I think there's a rule that you're not allowed to be "friends" with parents.. It's kind of sad to think that half the bandwidth in the world is used up on this stuff. :cry: "Totally".
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

The kind of user I am is the kind that switched to Mint 2 1/2 years ago knowing nothing but since then I have learned enough so now I can pay back the help I got when I was a n00b by trying to help new n00bs when ever I can.
Use it, learn it, share it.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux”