Fun Installing HP Printer

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Fun Installing HP Printer

Post by benali72 »

Several months ago I bought and installed an HP printer. It's an HP Laserjet P1102W... the heir to the good ol' reliable LaserJet 5L/6L/7L of many years ago. It's a fast, B&W only printer.

I forgot how I installed it.

Today I bought another one of the exact same printer for another similar computer. But I couldn't remember how I installed it last time, so I googled and ended up on the HP LIP webpage (HP "Laser Image and Printer" page). Downloaded and installed their program "hplip-3.14.4". Whew! What an experience. A complicated install. All sorts of dialog boxes popping up at once. Fortunately I got through it ok and the printer works fine.

Then, after I got I done, I remembered how I did the install last time. I just used Synaptic and installed "hplip-3.12" using it. Much easier! A fast, easy install, just like it always is via Synaptic.

The lesson for me -- sometimes it's better not to use the vendor site. Just see if the standard Linux package in the repositories works first. Ha!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Fun Installing HP Printer

Post by Kalyk »

I had a different experience.
I wanted to install an hp usb printer/copier/scanner for someone I know.
When I switched on the power I went to Simple Scan and just scanned.
I wanted to install it as a printer, but it was just there, a few seconds, nothing to install.
So plug-and-play avant la lettre, very cool.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Return to “Chat about Linux”