Ubuntu 14.04 final released.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ClutchDisc

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 final released.

Post by ClutchDisc »

Still running Ubuntu 12.04 here. I have the 14.04 iso downloaded and on a USB to try out... Looks really stable. But everything is working great on 12.04 so I plan to stick with that for now.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I have installed cinnamon 2.2 nightly on Ubuntu 14 like this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=165545 and i have to admit guys that it changed my concepts about the whole desktop philosophy. It is dead fast, rock-solid and unbelievably awesome :D :D Stability should come first and last! Linux Mint team you are the best. keep doing what you are doing. I wish i could donate but i'm 30 years old and I'm still jobless :D "We do what prisoners do,And what the jobless do: We cultivate hope. " :D
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

Talking on speed, 14.04 does seem faster. For example, XFCE no longer makes me wait 5 seconds for the desktop menu if the app menu is enabled.
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Zorba wrote:I have installed cinnamon 2.2 nightly on Ubuntu 14 like this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=165545 and i have to admit guys that it changed my concepts about the whole desktop philosophy. It is dead fast, rock-solid and unbelievably awesome :D :D Stability should come first and last! Linux Mint team you are the best. keep doing what you are doing. I wish i could donate but i'm 30 years old and I'm still jobless :D "We do what prisoners do,And what the jobless do: We cultivate hope. " :D
Oh wowzers, that looks amazing! Sooo looking forward to Cinnamon 2.2 and Mint 17 now!

As for Ubuntu, well it installed well onto our laptop, but sadly trying to get it onto may desktop has failed. The installer just freezes and the desktop locks up, leaving the only option a hard reboot. Tried it three times, same result. I've installed Kubuntu 14.04 now (remember this is a secondary OS as a dual boot with Mint as the main OS), and it's absolutely fantastic. Fast, feature-rich, and gorgeous. And no bother installing.

Roll on Mint 17!
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

What's everyone think of Ubuntu 14.04?

Post by benali72 »

With Ubuntu 14.04 being an LTS release, I'm curious as to what people's experiences here have been. What do you think of Ubuntu 14.04?
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged with existing topic; next time look before posting
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

Well, the half-baked installer and automount problems still annoy me to no end, but compared to earlier Ubuntu releases I'm having little problems so far. I won't count my constant struggle with AMD graphics and PulseAudio (but kudos to the launchpad support).

I did have more problems with Firefox 28/29 than in Debian (Iceweasel 28), with frequent crashes - at least they were limited to Firefox itself. So I've switched to Iceweasel 24. Also, graphic glitches in general, including Chromium with their new toolkit ("Aura").

I hope some of the (X)ubuntu bugs will be fixed in 14.04.1. Until then workarounds and PPAs will have to do.
ClutchDisc

Re: What's everyone think of Ubuntu 14.04?

Post by ClutchDisc »

benali72 wrote:With Ubuntu 14.04 being an LTS release, I'm curious as to what people's experiences here have been. What do you think of Ubuntu 14.04?
I just made the switch from 12.04 the other day. I LOVE 14.04! Aside from the online search results, (not too hard to turn off) I haven't had any complaints. Really fast, stable release. Probably the best Ubuntu release yet! :D
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Previous1 wrote:I did have more problems with Firefox 28/29 than in Debian (Iceweasel 28), with frequent crashes - at least they were limited to Firefox itself.
Here we go again... :?

Return to “Chat about Linux”