Is it just me or is cinnamon still a total crash fest?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phill1978

Is it just me or is cinnamon still a total crash fest?

Post by phill1978 »

two different machines, two different arcitechtures, one being intel cpu+igpu and one being AMD APU.

both crash.

I have LM16. Nothing fancy, no desklets.

Last night i was uploading a file (on a painfully slow connection) Cinnamon crashed when moving a window. Result = reboot and try again, many hours later 60% through the upload crashed to safe mode but i had no way of checking the already running firefox for progress so had to reply on the network resource monitor for upload rate to identify if the file had completed.

Today, I bought a paid online game (which i very rarely do but i though hey why not) on lowering the volume on the tray bar cinnamon crashed and went into safe mode .. fortunatley after some delay the flash game was still present and i played it out (not enjoying anyway worried about the crash and yes I lost as expected) but it brings into sharp focus how a transaction could not complete and money could be lost.

so that's two important file uploads and 1 x paid game nearly lost in 1 whole day!

I had none of these problems on XFCE which i ran for years, but due to cinnamons recent improvements and useful utilities and integration I thought Id give it a go.

Its not my hardware. It IS the software.

Now, These crashes can happen 2 - 4 times a day when opening applets or moving windows and yet ALL i see in the news about cinnamon from Clem is about feature improvements..

FIX Cinnamons stability first or you wont have any users :roll:

So frustrating that this is the LEAST stable desktop environment on Linux. Even KDE is more Stable now!

I have logged bugs on Cinnamon quite a few times now on github and come across people who have the same issue, yet Clems feedback to users is always more enthusiastic about features rather than stability fixes. Features are nice and a big draw but isnt there enough now to hold and concentrate on stability?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Previous1

Re: Is it just me or is cinnamon still a total crash fest?

Post by Previous1 »

I have logged bugs on Cinnamon quite a few times now on github and come across people who have the same issue, yet Clems feedback to users is always more enthusiastic about features rather than stability fixes. Features are nice and a big draw but isnt there enough now to hold and concentrate on stability?
A nasty habit that plagues the entire Linux world. Not an excuse of course. But it's probably a good idea to check development of a particular project before using it. And remember it's based on GNOME... :evil:
Last edited by Previous1 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

KDE and XFCE are desktop environments who have a longer time of development. So are environments that have fewer bugs (although there is always some). For this reason, I prefer these editions before Cinnamon and Mate editions..... I prefer KDE first, XFCE second.....

Mate is also a great option, although it has more bugs than XFCE. Cinnamon has taken a big step to independence from Gnome, no doubt has been exceeded, but I think it still lacks a bit of maturity. To me it has not given me problems, but between Cinnamon and Mate, I'm still staying with Mate. Greetings.-
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

No crashes at all for me on LM16 Cinnamon. I think if I'd had the experience you'd had, I would have switched away. But it's been rock solid, even with a desktop running Cairo Dock and a load of applets and desklets.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I was thinking MATE would be more stable built upon old Gnome?
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Ditto
Condorman wrote:No crashes at all for me on LM16 Cinnamon. I think if I'd had the experience you'd had, I would have switched away. But it's been rock solid, even with a desktop running Cairo Dock and a load of applets and desklets.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I don't know what the problem may be. I have had no problems with Cinnamon since v1.6. Cinnamon 2.0 has been rock solid for me.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Same here with LMDE, Cinnamon is very stable, and smooth. I don't think Cinnamon is a "crash fest" as the OP states. :shock:
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, folks.

In his initial post phil1978 wrote
two different machines, two different arcitechtures, one being intel cpu+igpu and one being AMD APU.
I would not be amazed that his hardware is too brand new for
+ either the kernel series K3.11.0-xx
+ and/or the graphics driver software
that come with Linux Mint 16.
So it is not totally unlikely that Ubuntu 14.04 / Linux Mint 17 will solve the problems and make the cashes go away, because they will bring us kernel series K3.13.x-xx and the corresponding hardware enablement stack and the corresponding updated driver software .

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Cinnamon in my opinion needs from more memory optimisations, that's all. Here it never crashed. 8)
Like Karlchen said, the hardware is most probably just too new for LM16.

Return to “Chat about Linux”