So long Cinnamon! Hello ... Gnome Shell? Unity?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
craig10x

Re: So long Cinnamon! Hello ... Gnome Shell? Unity?

Post by craig10x »

@Zorba: that's what i like about ubuntu....a VERY modern look to it... :D
Only two weeks more to final release :wink:
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

craig10x wrote:@Zorba: that's what i like about ubuntu....a VERY modern look to it... :D
Only two weeks more to final release :wink:

Yes Mint and Ubuntu are my soul mates :D
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

Pierre wrote:a little surprised that you didn't hold until Mint 17 is released, in may ..
- if you go distro-hopping this weekend, then take a look at MX14
It relies on the excellent upstream work by Linux, Debian, and Xfce 8)
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08356
http://www.mepiscommunity.org/mx

- try the ISO in your Vbox
I've tried MX-14, mainly to find out what sources it uses - couldn't find it on their website. :mrgreen:

http://pastebin.com/dD5FHtBk
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Must be crazy! Gnome Shell? Unity?? :D

I've been using Mint 16 Cinnamon since launch, and it's no exaggeration to say it's perfect. Flawless performance and functionality, and it's probably the longest I've spent with any single distro/OS since XP/Ubuntu 7.04. I do like and respect Gnome Shell and Unity. I've used them both extensively and they have so much to offer. But only Cinnamon feels a complete experience to me on a desktop PC. Once the new one comes, I'll be installing it and leaving it until it's done. I have never done this with a distro before, but I will with Mint 17.

Well, provided it's as good as 16... :lol:
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Yes I agree with you Cinnamon has all the necessary applets and extensions we need and more!I 'm stuck with it too because it the family OS now and so it has to be on evry PC and lappy :lol: :lol: I share a PC with my brother and so I had to install grub customizer to set the lappy to boot on Linux Mint 16 :lol: But now I love Ubuntu too but man it lacks many features like ,netspeed applets and stuff and the old ones don't work anymore sice 13.10 :( I guess I'll stick with both :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Gnome Shell has been really growing on me this past week. So much so that while using KDE on another computer I was shortly stumped how to change to another window, and what the funny looking panel at the bottom of the screen was for :lol: (Okay, it had been a long day and late... Sleepiness didn't help.)

I'll surely have a look at the new Cinnamon once it is released, and perhaps I'll be hopping distros and desktop environments till then and then settle back on LTS with Cinnamon.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Cinnamon is the champ man i'm telling you and you probably wanna switch because you have been runnig it for a long time but hey you will soon realize that Cinnamon is a necessity:D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I didn't use custom themes, applets, desklets, or extensions. The only reason for me to use Cinnamon would be the panel (and I liked the sound menu a lot, but Gnome Shell with Gnome Music is pretty similar). I dislike direction Cinnamon 1.8 and 2.0 took, especially Nemo. But let's see what Cinnamon 2.2 brings :wink:
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I wouldn't give up Cinnamon, but trying out the 14.04 beta2 of Unity, I find myself liking it a whole lot all of a sudden. It did blow up on me after two days the first time, but I reinstalled and so far it's working very well.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

When Cinnamon adds delete option for start menu entries then it will be perfect for me. 8) I haven't read the whole topic and I don't know exactly why you want to get rid of Cinnamon (of course something different from time to time is a must) but Gnome is not what you expect. Unity in 14.04 seems fine but Gnome 3.12 at all is still not something to consider when you want to try something new. If you want something different try E18, try Open Box, try XFCE... Fast and stable. :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

RacerBG wrote: Unity in 14.04 seems fine but Gnome 3.12 at all is still not something to consider when you want to try something new. If you want something different try E18, try Open Box, try XFCE... Fast and stable. :)
I've been running Gnome Shell for almost a week now. It was a bit unfamiliar the first few days, but after upgrading from 3.10 to 3.12 I've settled into it and I enjoy many things it brings :) Gedit, Nautilus, Music, Videos, and the Terminal are all awesome applications to use on 3.12 :P

Xfce is just too bare for me, and Openbox requires too much configuration (aside from being also too bare). I'll might give E18 a look; I see I can install it here easily. But I'll stretch my stay on Gnome Shell for now as my primary :wink:
wanderer7

Post by wanderer7 »

For people who haven't seen GNOME 3.12 yet, here's what it looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n77cwRJUrLg
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

It doesn't make me dream...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

killer de bug wrote:It doesn't make me dream...
ElementaryOS Freya might be more to your liking :wink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzSPGkOyzW8

From RacerBG's suggestion I gave E18 a try. Looks very smooth, but confounding to use for me. I want something that doesn't get in my way, and presents itself in an uncluttered way. Within two minutes of use I was completely lost where I was in settings... Not for me, but I can see how the Xfce & Openbox crowd would like this (I'd prefer it over Xfce & Openbox, much more polish and looks more complete--though like Xfce to the point where I'm drowning in settings :roll:).

I'm sticking with Gnome Shell for now. Will give Ubuntu 14.04 an install once it's released, same for Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon (I hope the chrome plated pentagon shapes get dropped from Nemo's breadcrumb bar...).
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

xenopeek wrote:
killer de bug wrote:It doesn't make me dream...
ElementaryOS Freya might be more to your liking :wink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzSPGkOyzW8

From RacerBG's suggestion I gave E18 a try. Looks very smooth, but confounding to use for me. I want something that doesn't get in my way, and presents itself in an uncluttered way. Within two minutes of use I was completely lost where I was in settings... Not for me, but I can see how the Xfce & Openbox crowd would like this (I'd prefer it over Xfce & Openbox, much more polish and looks more complete--though like Xfce to the point where I'm drowning in settings :roll:).

I'm sticking with Gnome Shell for now. Will give Ubuntu 14.04 an install once it's released, same for Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon (I hope the chrome plated pentagon shapes get dropped from Nemo's breadcrumb bar...).
I had never tried E18 myself but it was an opportunity after all. :)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

xenopeek wrote: ElementaryOS Freya might be more to your liking :wink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzSPGkOyzW8
Euhhhh... Was that a joke or not? Because I tried it, and I broke it during an update, and I was unable to recover. I use LMDE since 3 years without any breakage, testing the UP before release... And I broke elementaryOS... This OS is crap :lol:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Never used it, so thanks for the warning!
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

killer de bug wrote: Euhhhh... Was that a joke or not? Because I tried it, and I broke it during an update, and I was unable to recover. I use LMDE since 3 years without any breakage, testing the UP before release... And I broke elementaryOS... This OS is crap :lol:
An entire OS is crap because you "broke it and were unable to recover"? What about all the people that break LMDE on UP release, and are unable to recover? What's their response?
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Previous1 wrote: An entire OS is crap because you "broke it and were unable to recover"? What about all the people that break LMDE on UP release, and are unable to recover? What's their response?
LMDE is not for newbies. It's written everywhere. So yes it may break, but you were warned. You are supposed to have a good knowledge of apt dpkg to use it.

ElementaryOS aims to provide an OS for newbies. A beautiful one. An easy one. No need of apt/dpkg/repo... Everything should work from scratch. So if I (mid range/experienced) user install it, I expect it to be perfectly (boring) stable. But using the Update Manager, I got stuck in the middle of nowhere, half upgraded. I tried to resume the process from UM, and from terminal in both case it failed. I tried to remove the lock on apt to force the install of the broken package but it failed. So I was half upgraded and unable to resume the process. Just for fun, I rebooted, boot sequence failed (of course).

Conclusion : maybe (probably) the fault was:
1) I wasn't skilled enough (So ElementaryOS is only for expert and not for newbies...)
2) The Update Manager is corrupted or the repo are not tested.

In my opinion EOS team is really good at design but not at techno. :wink:

Conclusion : I will never recommend EOS to one of my friend. Too risky.
Last edited by killer de bug on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Anyway... I just figured out I can install "Pantheon" (the desktop environment used on ElementaryOS) also on my Arch Linux install :mrgreen: Project for another weekend.

Return to “Chat about Linux”