Which distro support Sis Video Hardware ?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrushton

Which distro support Sis Video Hardware ?

Post by mrushton »

I was wondering if Linux Mint has a driver for SIS Video Hardware.
I can't run it on my laptop with out it.
Any ideas ?

I want to get Linux Mint running on it.... I got Puppy Linux working .... that has an SIS driver ...

I have tried Linux Mint Cinnamon, MATE, Xcfe and all will start booting and when it get to the GUI part in just goes all wacky and the screen turns black.

I am trying to run it on an Averatec 4100, AMD Turion 64 (not the fastest CPU) I think like 1 GB ram, it has SIS Video and Wireless hardware. It has Windows XP on it .... I want to find a Linux I like so I can miss the upcoming XP Apocalypse.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Does Linux Mint Support Sis Video Hardware ?

Post by xenopeek »

To get help, we'd need to know the exact video chip or card. Linux Mint comes with inxi to easily get such information to share with us. IDK if Puppy includes it, else install it (https://code.google.com/p/inxi/).

Run:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
To get details about your video chip and card, and share those here.

You can also review the hardware compatibility database: http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/search. Set the Brand search box to "Silicon Integrated Systems" and it doesn't show promising results...
mrushton

Post by mrushton »

I will try to run that command and see what info I get ...

... but I think the question I should be asking is what version of Linux Mint could i use that is considered Lite ? Maybe one that might fit on a CD .... I am thinking that well maybe there is video issues, but also I think I need a lighter version to try to run on this laptiop.

I got a puppy linux to run on it and the zorin OS lite ... maybe if I could find an older lite version of mint I could try it and also work the video card angle as well.

The machine has an Amd Turion64 ... which despite the 64 inthe name ... is probably like a Cererlon. and I think 1GB of ram, shared with the video and probably other things as well.

(FYI ... I have run Linux Mint from the DVD on several modern PC's and laptiops and found it to be a very useful OS)
ken75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ken75 »

I also have problems with SIS video hardware. My nine year old Gigabyte motherboard uses SIS 661FX onboard graphics.

It worked with Ubuntu version 12.04.0 but not 12.04.3. During boot it displays a message about not finding a SIS 630 compatible bus. The same problem occurs with several different 2013 versions of Linux.

Check Ubuntu system requirements which includes a section on compatible video cards. They list NVidia, AMD, and Intel for new video cards. They also list Nvidia and AMD for cards up to five years old.
ken75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ken75 »

I was able to run the latest versions of both Linux Lite and Bodhi Linux with SIS 661FX graphics.
Shebang#!

Post by Shebang#! »

Old threat, but maybe helpfull...

PCLinuxos also supports SiS ootb, so that may be interesting for people who are stuck with SiS GPU's.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Which distro support Sis Video Hardware ?

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here and renamed topic as this is no longer about Linux Mint.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Which distro support Sis Video Hardware ?

Post by excollier »

I am running Lubuntu 14.04 on an old Fujitsu-Siemens, ex XP desktop tower with SIS630 graphics (and the message about no compatible bus found and modules not inserted appears at every boot up).
It runs ok, the graphics are a little "soft" but it is able to function ok even Cairo Dock works well enough, and is fast in operation, despite being slow to boot (dual core P4 and 2GB ram)
At shutdown it flashes a complaint message about not being able to support the display resolution of 1280x1040 (Dell 19" monitor).
Mint 17 or 13 install disk won't even boot on it, pity. Lite 2.0 is very "stuttery" and jerky on graphics, but Lite 1.08 was reported running well by the previous owner (he gave me the computer without it's hdd).
Windows 7 couldnt find a network card driver, but that was only an experiment on hardware torture (I don't use Windows myself, I just spend two days a week fixing Windows computers and related problems).
All in all I am pleased with Lubuntu and I have to say it looks and performs impressively enough, so to the OP and others with SIS graphics, give Lubuntu 14.04 a try.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint

Return to “Chat about Linux”