Installing Ubuntu over Mint

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
unprinted
Level 2
Level 2

Installing Ubuntu over Mint

Post by unprinted »

The instability of Firefox 26/27 under Mint16 has got me considering going back to Ubuntu. FF crashes several times a week here using Mint MATE x86 edition in a way that it simply didn't until FF 25 and simply doesn't with Xubuntu.

I would quite like to keep MATE (but I see that should be in the Ubuntu repositories from 14.04).

How difficult would it be to 'downgrade' to a Ubuntu variant without reinstalling everything? Is it possible?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Installing Ubuntu over Mint

Post by killer de bug »

It may be simplier to just downgrade Firefox, isn't it?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I'd do a clean install of ubuntu 14.04 and add mate to it...that would be the best way to go...
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

If Firefox is the issue I would strongly suggest switching to Chrome or Chromium. Firefox behaves fine on my mint 16 Cinnamon, but I prefer Chrome tbh.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Firefox 26/27 under Mint16 has got me considering going back to Ubuntu

FWIW, I've used FF versions up to v30 with Mint 16, and no problems with hanging or crashing.

However, I do have problems with some of the design changes they've made on purpose, so I use FF v21.
(I see only trivial - but sometimes annoying - differences between the versions; v30 has ugly space-wasting tabs, v>24 or so has bad "seach in page" behavior, the official current version says all my add-ons are disabled, but they're working...)

Install any version you want from here:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org ... /releases/
Just extract the archive into /usr/lib/firefox, or /opt/firefox. Much easier than reinstalling an OS.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Chat about Linux”