Why Mint is better for Windows XP Users

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Why Mint is better for Windows XP Users

Post by Pierre »

Well - haven't seen that article yet.
:(
- and why not??.
it's certainly very true.

Whereas this one is getting a lot of promotion .. ..
- via social media.

"Here's Why PCLinuxOS Is Better For Windows XP Users Than Ubuntu!"
http://www.efytimes.com/e1/fullnews.asp?edid=129382

in which case, - Mint should now be getting heavily promoted too. ..

and there is this one:-
"XP - the operating system that will not die"
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26432473

again - Mint should be promoted, - as a very viable alternative.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
RacerBG

Re: Why Mint is better for Windows XP Users

Post by RacerBG »

Mint is better for XP users because:
1. It is simple and similar (in terms of GUI) to Windows.
2. Having Ubuntu repository means a lot of quality software in one place.
3. Linux is free! 8)
nomko

Post by nomko »

In my opinion Mint + Cinnamon is a really good replacement for XP-users. The Cinnamon menu is a very userfriendly menu structure easy to work with. It looks almost like the standard XP menu. At the other hand, when switching to the "classic Windows menu look" under XP you get a menu structure similar to Windows NT/95/98/ME/2000. And then the Xfce desktop looks very similar to it.

While Mint is based on Ubuntu and uses the same repositories and PPA's, this is not the best argument for XP users to let them switch to Mint. They are fully unaware of the existince of repositories and PPA's. XP users needs to be convinced with other arguments like the userfriendly desktop envirnoment Mint offers (Cinnamon/Mate/XFCE), that Linux is more stable and secure and therefore more virusproof/malwareproof/spywareproof than Windows.

I'm really disappointed to see that not all Linux distro launched a marketing campaign in order to increase brand awareness and to make Linux better known to the general public. On each forum everybody is talking about converting XP users to Linux, but almost nobody has taken any action to increase the awareness in Linux. Regular computer magazines as example, are a great tool to promote Linux. 9 of 10 computer magazines are Windows orientated, just a half page sized add is more than enough to promote Linux. But i think it's too late now to start a campaign to convert XP users....

I won't say Mint is better for XP users, i would say that the Cinnamon and Xfce desktop environment is better and easier to understand for (former) XP users.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

But i think it's too late now to start a campaign to convert XP users....
in the next few weeks,
- there will be a large amount of focus on the EoL of Win_XP.

this is the IDEAL TIME to promote the Linux O/S.
- but only if the "linux leaders" choose to do so.
& YES - it's gonna mean some advertizing in the relevant media.

- think Green - Recycle that PC .. ..
:mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Post by k357k9 »

Don't forget that a lot of these XP users are using very old systems with limited resources and need something light weight.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Am I the only one who thinks it both useless and fruitless to argue why one version of Linux is better than another for XP users? Most of them will not have heard of any type of Linux, much less be interested in family quibbles.
We have a vast selection, I would try to fit the XP user with the best Linux for them. For my daughter, I think she will like the Elementary OS interface better with its Mac-like look.
My wife will want something more like the XP interface, maybe Mint Cinnamon or Xfce. And then there is the hardware. I was able to find the wireless driver easily with Ubuntu for my father in law. My brother will want a polished Linux interface.
So I say find the best Linux fit for the person, perhaps find out what they need and go from there, not push them into our own biased view which may not be a good fit for them or their hardware. Someone with 500 mb ram and a single core may need Lubuntu rather than Mint Cinnamon, etc.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, KBD47,
Am I the only one who thinks it both useless and fruitless to argue why one version of Linux is better than another for XP users?
No, you are not. I agree with you. :-)
Most of them will not have heard of any type of Linux, much less be interested in family quibbles.
Absolutely true.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

it both useless and fruitless to argue why one version of Linux is better than another for XP users?
it might true but OP didn't say anything about which linux is best to replace XP. he indeed give an article about pclinuxos vs ubuntu but I believe his real point is that mint should follow the other distro promoting linux to XP user. in the end it doesn't matter which distro they use as long as they switch to linux :3

anyway, ubuntu have started their move last month. the other distro might will follow next time http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/02/four ... this-april
cgs1025

Post by cgs1025 »

I am not an expert, but with modest computer skills I've been loading various Linux systems on older computers for friends for several years now. No charge; free, just like Linux.
Most of the time it has been some lightweight system, governed by the capabilities of the machine and its user. Many of the 'nicer' Linux varieties won't work on ancient iron, as you all know.
I consider this undertaking as a service to friends and relatives, a way to help them continue to use and enjoy computers. Most are elderly or very young; folks who cannot trip out to the store and spend $$$. They need not be victimized because their past investment in hardware and system software has been declared obsolete.
Two current 'customers' are men over 85: one a former teacher, the other a retired engineer. Nice guys, a pleasure to help them. Another is a 14-year old who is using Linux on an old laptop, at home, to support school work. None of my 'customers' need or can afford new computers.
Often I can find a stick of ancient RAM from a donor, to make things work a bit better.
Why don't you/we take on a service to others, using whatever knowledge and skill we have gained to help them transition from the Windo$$ they have been using, over to some version of Linux they can learn to enjoy?
Not a bad way to spend time and effort! Nothing wrong with a little good feeling now and then.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

kurotsugi wrote:anyway, ubuntu have started their move last month. the other distro might will follow next time http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/02/four ... this-april
Hey, the sentence which convinced me to switch to Lubuntu immediately was this one:
Lubuntu is Secure; You Don’t Need Virus Software
Hey, who needs virus software anyway? No-one needs it except those who develop and deploy virus software. :wink:

Of course the next sentence below the headline is pure nonsense:
Unlike Windows, you do not need to use anti-virus or malware protection software on Lubuntu.
While anti-virus software protecting you from malware that targets Windows systems may be of little use on a Linux system, not caring to protect yourself against malware as such on Linux is simply careless and ignorant. Of course the bad guys are trying to attack Linux machines as well.

We should definitely not try to attract Windows XP users by making false promises and incorrect statements.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

While anti-virus software protecting you from malware that targets Windows systems may be of little use on a Linux system, not caring to protect yourself against malware as such on Linux is simply careless and ignorant. Of course the bad guys are trying to attack Linux machines as well. We should definitely not try to attract Windows XP users by making false promises and incorrect statements.
the OS security and software installation is handled differently on linux. their claim about anti virus is not entirely wrong :3

remember that on windows when we need to install something we need to run a *.exe file. there's a risk that the file has been infected and it will install a malware on our system. on that case, we need antivirus to protect our system. on linux, all the application is builded by the distro. there's no risk installing a malware as long as we're using official repo. you're right about that it doesn't mean we're entirely safe since we still got attacked by another method, i.e: internet. but in that case we're not using antivirus to protect our system. we relied upon firewall, security patch, proxy, vpn to protect ourself from these kind of attack. with this point of view their claim about 'antivirus is not needed' is true.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

kurotsugi wrote:
it both useless and fruitless to argue why one version of Linux is better than another for XP users?
it might true but OP didn't say anything about which linux is best to replace XP. he indeed give an article about pclinuxos vs ubuntu but I believe his real point is that mint should follow the other distro promoting linux to XP user. in the end it doesn't matter which distro they use as long as they switch to linux :3

anyway, ubuntu have started their move last month. the other distro might will follow next time http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/02/four ... this-april
The pclinux vs ubuntu was what I was referring to.
Of course it's an excellent idea to make XP users feel welcome and encourage them to try Mint. I would go so far as to put a "Welcome XP Users!" banner on both the Linux Mint home page and Forum home page :-)
cgs1025

Post by cgs1025 »

Under that banner greeting you might add:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free;
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless,
Tempest-tossed to me
I lift my Linux beside the golden door!"
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

+1
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I have started the campaign long before they started doing their circus http://www.noobslab.com/2014/01/windows ... e-for.html

Linux Mint is the best replacement for XP!! Mint is not similar to XP!! Because me and my friend gmc85 made it look exactly like XP and we got noobslab involved too :D :D Brahimsalem that's me :D

So here why Linux Mint is better than any other OS an better than XP itself:
1- It is the fastest
2- Most elegant
3- more secure
4- most stable
5- Most user-friendly
6- It has the best community
7- It has the fastest growing community
8- It has a very active community
9- it is number one on Distrowatch

Image Image
nomko

Post by nomko »

k357k9 wrote:Don't forget that a lot of these XP users are using very old systems with limited resources and need something light weight.
Is has been expected that there will be a boost on the sale of new high-end computer systems due to this reason: XP users with old systems. This can be used also as an argument to show XP users that they don't need to buy newer systems to run Linux. Even with a bit older systems (2 - 6 years old) Linux still runs smoothly. The only "limitation"here is the amount of system memory. But that can be fixed easy and much cheaper.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Pierre wrote:in the next few weeks,
- there will be a large amount of focus on the EoL of Win_XP.
Well.... 1 or 2 articles here and there. But in general it will not be such a big news item. Take a look at Windows 4.0. when the support ended in 2004, it was not such a big news item. I think that the majority of home-users doesn't even care if XP reaches it's EOL. They are more concerned about having an user-friendly system that works the way they want. I even think that the majority of home-users doesn't even know what End Of Life means and what it means to their system and/or security.
Pierre wrote: this is the IDEAL TIME to promote the Linux O/S.
There's never an ideal time to promote Linux. Promoting Linux can be done every day of the week. Knowing that XP reaches its EOL is only a good opportunity to promote Linux amongst XP users.
Pierre wrote: - but only if the "linux leaders" choose to do so.
Exactly! And i really don't them doing it! The excuse for this: let the community take care of this. But that's the issue here, it's not only a community issue. I't's an issue for both community and "Linux leaders".
Pierre wrote: & YES - it's gonna mean some advertizing in the relevant media.
Ofcourse, you need to place advertisments in the mainstream media (computermagazines/newspapers).
Pierre wrote: think Green - Recycle that PC.
Not everybody has the know-how of recycling his/her PC. Or has the need to turn their old system into a mailserver of firewall. Again, the majority only want's a system that works and do the things they want to. And when they find out that their system is getting old, they dump it and buy a new one that is fast and works fast. No difficult stuff with hardware replacementsand so on.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Anything with a Core2duo or newer can run Mint/Cinnamon just fine. My wife is running Mint on an old C2D@2.5ghz w/4GB of ram and Mint runs great.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

I'm continuing my study of the difference in security vis a vis Linux v Windmills. the farther into this i get the more i realize-- this is no simple topic and no one is going to explain it to a novice in a 10 minute "your should run linux" pitch

one of the essays that helped me along was this one published on The Reghister it's a bit dated, but still, informative

while reading this you need to be aware of The Tanenbaum-Torvalds Debate . from this you'll understand that the Windmill was meant to be a micro-kernel designed system -- not a "monolithic" system while Linux was designed "monolithic". both systems have evolved into modular designs with the Windmill being much more complex having incorporated all its micro-kernel servers into the kernel space in order to get rid of the context-switch that was required to switch from user mode to kernel mode using the remote procedure calls (RPC) used in the Windmill. see _Linux Kernel Development_ (Robert Love) p.7

there are other issues as well the worst of which are in the Windmill

see Inside Windows 7 User Account Control
excerpt
Windows Integrity Mechanism and UIPI were used in Windows Vista for Protected Mode Internet Explorer, which makes it more difficult for malware that infects a running instance of IE to modify user account settings, for example, to configure itself to start every time the user logs on. While it was an early design goal of Windows Vista to use elevations with the secure desktop, Windows Integrity Mechanism, and UIPI to create an impermeable barrier—called a security boundary—between software running with standard user rights and administrative rights, two reasons prevented that goal from being achieved, and it was subsequently dropped: usability and application compatibility.
i.e. the Windmill knew it had a problem that had to be fixed but politics and marketing called a veto. ( remember the big stink re. UAC on Vista ) .

understanding for this comes largely from this excerpt
Anyone who does gaming on Windows 7 knows just how frequently you need admin access. There's a reason that people complained about UAC back when it was introduced in Vista: because most software on Windows begs for admin access even for basic functionality. Admin in Windows is a real mess, not so much because Windows itself has bad security, but because of awful design choices that are prevalent within Windows' developer culture.
my particular exit and escape from the Windmill however originated largely from a handly little program called "WinPatrol". WinPatrol creates a little Scotty Dog Icon in the tray -- and every time something wants to install another start-up program, browser helper -- whatever Scotty sets to barkin'

which led me to wonder: Just exactly what all is this Windmill actually doing ?
I don't think anybody knows but I think it's a safe bet most Windmills are doing a lot of work for people other than the system owners.
and that is why I got off the Windmill.
and in retro I'm really happy to be a Linux user now. I love the Open Source concept and all that goes with it.

One More Read: Analyzing and Improving Linux Kernel Memory Protection:
A Model Checking Approach
thus stuff was addressed to Kernel 2.6; the changes may have been incorporated by now. the gist of it though tends to show how much care is being put into protecting Linux critical resources. not just hiding them as in ASLR, and DEP -- real protection. get that text* onto exec+no-write pages.

~~
*"text" executable code pages are called "text" in the Linux environment.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

another bit of helpful reading The Triumph and Tragedy of OS/2s

this will provide much insight into the in-fighting between IBM and MSFT during the critical development phases and the Final Separation of MSFT from IBM. the tragedy is so much similar to (e.g.) the collapse of Eastman Kodak -- where the Old School was attempting to protect an obsolete cash cow. you may recall that digital photography was developed at Eastman Kodak -- but not marketed. they were making buckets of money on film, processing and chemicals.

the only thing you would use a "main frame" for these days is scrap to build scaffolding from.
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Chat about Linux”