Asus and geting refund for not used Windows OS

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ArkadioG

Asus and geting refund for not used Windows OS

Post by ArkadioG »

This text, i wrote in Mint's G+ community:
https://plus.google.com/107420284484619 ... vPeWNQaH9L

What do you think of +ASUS (or other vendors) support for #Linux?
My answer below.

At beginning of January 2014, I've bought Asus #VivoBook. It came with pre-installed Win 8 on HDD, so I decided to buy new SSD drive and install Mint 16 on it and use only one (best) :-) system. All worked perfect from first install - just had to play a little in BIOS with UEFI settings.

I've heard about possibility of refund for Windows OS and troubles with it. Wanting totally cut of from Win, decided to apply for refund - even if it supposed to be hard and bumpy road.

After contacting by phone Asus Support, i've received some forms, sent it back together with copies of guarantee and proof of purchase. All went quite smoothly, until...
...until they wanted copy of sticker containing laptop's serial number glued into guarantee.

Funny thing - there wasn't any , except of those already glued on the transport carton box - they weren't possible to re-glue.

I took photos of those stickers and asked Tech Support, if i should to tear of those stickers from box and glue into guarantee. That happened 2 weeks ago.

Today checked my bank account, and - there it is!!!
42 Euro!
zwrot asus.png
My answer to title question is - it's very good, but could improve some things too - here is summary:

1. Taking out HDD and installing SSD into VivoBook was easy for me
2. Installing Mint - also easy and problemless
3. Contact with Asus Tech Support - friendly, helpful, but - whole procedure were stretched in time (my fault too, but both consultants were for some time "out of office")
4. Sticker to glue into guarantee - wishing, you were here?
5. No answer to my last email = to my question about tearing of stickers from box, so I don't know if photos of carton box with serial number were sufficient, or there was another cause, I've got refunded.

Have any of you applied to refund for Windows? Share your stories
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

I had no idea that was possible!

I've had to exchange Asus stuff before. Minimal communication but no arguments. I like them more each year.

The serial number is sometimes next to the Windows activation code on a laptop, inside the battery compartment.

Thanks for the tip!
killer de bug

Re: Asus and geting refund for not used Windows OS

Post by killer de bug »

In 2009, I was refunded by Asus France for my Vista license. But at that time, it was only 20 euros. I was wondering about suing them (a guy had won 1000 euros a few weeks before that against HP) but I was leaving for Canada so I did not have time.
Normally they should reimburse something like 80-100 euros... :?
wanderer7

Re: Asus and geting refund for not used Windows OS

Post by wanderer7 »

Well done, ArkadioG. :D I hope more people follow your example in the future. Even if not all the users get their money back, at least the companies like Asus will understand that not everyone is happy with having windows preinstalled in computers.

Return to “Chat about Linux”