Ubuntu 14.04 development

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Ubuntu 14.04 development

Post by exploder »

Is anyone here participating in Ubuntu 14.04 development? Just wondering because Mint 17 will use the Ubuntu 14.04 base and it will be an LTS release. I installed 14.04 yesterday, updated 13.10 via the terminal. Normally I would have done a clean install of the daily build but since I do not currently have any DVDs this was my only option to get on the development release.

The upgrade went fairly well, all of my settings and data were preserved and of course there are some bugs at this point. The most noticeable bug was with typing my password to log on. If Plymouth displays on start up you have to click on the language setting in the greeter before you can type the password. If Plymouth does not display on start up you can type the password with no problem. Sort of an odd bug but I am sure it will get straitened out in the near future.

In Rhythmbox the volume slider keeps setting to mute by default. There is also a problem with images being displayed. All things considered there are not very many issues for being at the mid point of development. Hardware support seems on par with 13.03, 14.04 is using the 3.12 kernel currently and it will take a little time for proprietary drivers to catch up. The machine I am testing on has an NVidea GT 220 graphics card and the stock open source drivers seem to be working fine.

Anyone else participating in this development cycle?

Edit: Keep in mind that by contributing to development you are helping out all of the distributions that are based on Ubuntu. I have submitted a couple of bug reports and added to another, it only takes a few minutes of your time and you never know, it could make a difference in the final release.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
XpRefugee

Re: 14.04 development

Post by XpRefugee »

exploder,
exploder wrote: Anyone else participating in this development cycle?

Edit: Keep in mind that by contributing to development you are helping out all of the distributions that are based on Ubuntu. I have submitted a couple of bug reports and added to another, it only takes a few minutes of your time and you never know, it could make a difference in the final release.
I plan to need to buy a new spool of dvd's (so many distros... So little time)
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I will test 14.04 on a Virtual Box. I will post soon my little report. :)
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I haven't tested much but here is in short what I noticed:

Unity is now heavier, the whole system looks slow (VB with 1 GB RAM, 1 core CPU and 128 MB video memory), the filters are better and of course the new settings for Unity are welcome. But all in all for person like me - this is not enough and I will stick with distros different than Ubuntu. ;)
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I have 14.04 installed, both Ubuntu and Lubuntu. In both cases, the first install sort of blew up after a big update came down. But I reinstalled using the respective same Iso; and no problems updating or at all with the second installations in the course of this past week. I'm looking forward to Linux Mint 17; 14.04 seems a very solid base, smooth and faster than previous releases. (Again, not Virtual Box, but installed.) Also, netflix-desktop and Amazon streaming video seem to handle better than 13.10 did on my computer, so I'm pleased on that score.
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

RacerBG wrote:I haven't tested much but here is in short what I noticed:

Unity is now heavier, the whole system looks slow (VB with 1 GB RAM, 1 core CPU and 128 MB video memory), the filters are better and of course the new settings for Unity are welcome. But all in all for person like me - this is not enough and I will stick with distros different than Ubuntu. ;)
To be fair, Unity and Ubuntu are no longer developed with this kind of target in mind and haven't been for some time.

I've only had a play with the Live disc on my system, but so far it's faster than 13.10 for me, and generally nicer. I think it'll be a great release.

And Mint 17 will be even better. :)
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

To be fair, Unity and Ubuntu are no longer developed with this kind of target in mind and haven't been for some time.
If KDE can do it, why can't Unity?
UlotraCronic

Post by UlotraCronic »

exploder wrote:Is anyone here participating in Ubuntu 14.04 development? Just wondering because Mint 17 will use the Ubuntu 14.04 base and it will be an LTS release. I installed 14.04 yesterday, updated 13.10 via the terminal. Normally I would have done a clean install of the daily build but since I do not currently have any DVDs this was my only option to get on the development release.

The upgrade went fairly well, all of my settings and data were preserved and of course there are some bugs at this point. The most noticeable bug was with typing my password to log on. If Plymouth displays on start up you have to click on the language setting in the greeter before you can type the password. If Plymouth does not display on start up you can type the password with no problem. Sort of an odd bug but I am sure it will get straitened out in the near future.

In Rhythmbox the volume slider keeps setting to mute by default. There is also a problem with images being displayed. All things considered there are not very many issues for being at the mid point of development. Hardware support seems on par with 13.03, 14.04 is using the 3.12 kernel currently and it will take a little time for proprietary drivers to catch up. The machine I am testing on has an NVidea GT 220 graphics card and the stock open source drivers seem to be working fine.

Anyone else participating in this development cycle?

I am not an official developer or registered tester, But I did install 14.04 64 bit on a dell 6400 laptop, And was utterly turned off by the over load of security built into the software keeping me out of my favorite Linux things, such as, Installing krusader and not being able to set it up due to permission denied errors when krusader tried to write my settings back to a configuration file that; krusader and I did not have permission to write to. Then the biggest blow to my desires was not being able to execute shell scripts from the desktop. I am used to naming a .sh file ./file.sh and making it executable to run certain programs as root with one click. No way with the new 14.04!!! Tried different desktop themes and that made things worse. One of the biggest reasons I run Linux is due to the fact that I AM a control freak, and refuse to give up freedom for even a tidbit of security, I only hope and pray this is NOT where Linux Mint is headed. For another example, in Mint I can right click on my desktop, task-bar or launcher and select create program shortcut, or even drag a shell script into it, but try this with 14.04 64 bit? No way, the right mouse button menu was flacid and missing a lot of options and getting shortcuts to the task or launcher was a boot to root and command line monumental task. And what happened to the "Run in Terminal" option on the right mouse click? Sorry to say it's only opinions witch changes from person to person, but the combative security made me whack the drive and install Mint Petra 16/ 64bit and hopefully they wont take these neat geeky tools away from me on the next update or I again will drift for a freedom lovers software.
If I blow up my system that's no big deal, I CloneZilla the disk once a week anyway, but as George Washington said;
"Those that are willing to give up an once of freedom for a pound of security deserve neither of both". I hope Mint developers keep that in mind. Then again compared to most users out here in Cyber-land I am a shell script fanatic and despise being locked out of MY computer and MY operating system commands. Only when I enabled the root account and logged in as root did the new 14.04 act like a true Linux operating system. Still couldn't run a script from the desktop or add a program shortcut with a simple right mouse click however. I'm sure there are ways around this but I am not one to put up with a lot of security fuss. 14.04 is a GOOD choice for non power users that just want to leave things alone and surf, for that I give them credit, but that safe thing is not my cup of tea.
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

Can't reproduce these issues you mention, but then I use Xubuntu/XFCE and not Ubuntu/Unity. I did have a permission problem (amongst others) with drive mounts, so I grudgingly installed udevil to handle things.

And please use paragraphs. :wink:
craig10x

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 development

Post by craig10x »

Can't figure out what he means about a big hassle getting shortcuts to the unity launcher...you just open the program you want to add (using dash search) and then it pops on to the unity launcher (dock) and you right click it and select "lock to launcher"...simple as can be... :wink: You don't use the terminal for that :?

And if you want to move that icon shortcut to another spot on the unity launcher you just use the ol' "drag and drop" method to move it around...also easy...

Return to “Chat about Linux”